Start by marking “Sensation: The New Science of Physical Intelligence” as Want to Read:
Sensation: The New Science of Physical Intelligence

Sensation: The New Science of Physical Intelligence

Like the revolutionary bestsellers Predictably Irrational and Emotional Intelligence, Sensation is an exciting, completely new view of human behavior—a new psychology of physical intelligence (or embodied cognition)—that explains how the body unconsciously affects our everyday decisions and choices, written by one of the world’s leading psychologists.

From colors and temper
Audio CD
Published April 29th 2014 by Brilliance Audio (first published March 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sensation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sensation

Danielle
May 17, 2014 Danielle rated it it was ok
It was okay. Maybe if I was holding something warm when I read it I would have liked it more.
Nancy
May 25, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
I want to have liked this more than I did but it's not as well written or as heavily backed up as Nudge, The Spell of the Sensuous, Metaphors In Mind or Metaphors We Live By. However it does bridge the gap between the these although not sadly not explicitly. Some interesting studies shared in some nice, if a little repetitive, ways. The conclusions could have been bolder.
Tim Petersik
Jan 15, 2015 Tim Petersik rated it really liked it
This was an interesting review of literature concerning how physical/bodily states influence psychological, usually interpersonal, judgments. I don't question the research, but sometimes it surely challenges the imagination. In essence, this book shows that many of our metaphors are not merely metaphors.
Stefania
Sep 10, 2014 Stefania rated it really liked it
not bad, not bad

Perhaps too much "this study was taken like this" and so on
Rossdavidh
May 21, 2016 Rossdavidh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blue
We all know that when we say someone is "sweet", we don't mean they are literally sweet, or even that they like sweet things. We know that it is a sort of analogy between a person whose personality makes them pleasant to be around, and something which tastes especially pleasant. Thalma Lobel knows this as well. She is, however, asserting that these two different meanings of the word "sweet" are a lot more closely tied together in our mind than we might think. So much so that activating one ...more
Nose in a book (Kate)
Lobel is a psychologist who is interested in how our senses affect the way we think and links that to the way that we think metaphorically – a new area of psychology called “embodied cognition”. Sounds a bit complicated? Here are some examples to show how straightforward an idea it is: holding something warm makes us friendlier; the colour red makes us anxious; the smell of fish makes us feel suspicion. Yes, really.

The examples explored in the book vary quite a lot. Some of them seemed obvious t
GeorgeC
May 22, 2016 GeorgeC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sensation, is not unlike many books in popular psychology. However it stands apart from other books on the subject in being able to avoid the inevitable trap of becoming 'self-help'. As a result, we have a book that cites studies and their possible implications in a fairly terse manner. I therefore can't recommend this to anyone whose highly familiar with psychology because it's unlikely to relay facts they didn't know.

In brief, the author brings the reader through a series of experiments and t
Ben
Dec 22, 2014 Ben rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
Basically, all the metaphors people use to describe psychological things are related to physical sensations. So when you say that someone is a warm person, you probably actually feel slightly warmer when they are acting warm. With the reverse also working, which is why hot tea and blankets make you feel accepted and cared for.

That was the main new thing, most of the other stuff was pretty bland.

If you live in a dark room with no windows, that could make you unhappy! Red means stop! Red means fi
GONZA
Feb 09, 2014 GONZA rated it it was ok
Well as a former psychologist and psychoteherapist I would really liked to believe all that was written in this book, anyway, ad the author said, it is probably possible not to replicate the results of this experiment because they are "too broad" and sooooo lets hope that cuddling a cat makes us gentler....

Come ex psicologa e psicoterapeuta mi piacerebbe davvero credere che tutto quello scritto in questo libro comunque, come dice anche l'autrice, é possibile che molti di questi esperimenti non s
Tomer Mozes-sadeh
May 22, 2016 Tomer Mozes-sadeh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of examples of how sensational experience influence our decision making process, a very good small talk issues for your next business meeting or water cooler small talk.

The most amazing fact I have realised due to one of the last chapters discussing the effect metaphors has on use. This chapter shows that if we enact metaphors we are more prone to act accordingly. For example: putting two things together makes you better in math (put one and one together). What I found so ama
Jacq
Jun 13, 2015 Jacq rated it it was ok
A book on embodied cognition. Read the uncorrected proof copy.
The main message of the book is to expose us to understand how we are unconsciously affected by irrelevant environment in our daily behaviours. However, the chapters are presented in very similar way and made it quite boring to read after the first few chapters. The author also made unconvincing links between her personal experience to her results. As well as many unconvincing statements (correlations vs causations). But, it is my fir
Ben
Jun 16, 2014 Ben rated it it was ok
A slightly sub-Gladwell entry in the crowded social psychology genre. Covers much of the same ground as Dan Ariely's "Predictably Irrational." You already know most of what's in this book: hot drinks make people friendlier while a cold room makes them standoffish; the physical weight of something suggests its perceived importance; red inspires either fear of failure, aggression, or sexual excitement, depending on context; white and black are associated with good and evil (though curiously, no ...more
Doug Kerwin
Sep 12, 2014 Doug Kerwin rated it liked it
I may never drink a warm cup of coffee, wear the color red, or wash my hands again without thinking of the psychological effect these things may have on it. The most fascinating thing I've taken with me on the study of embodied cognition is the bidirectional nature of it. The physical world affects how you feel and how you feel alters your physical manifestation. And of course there's that possibly irrelevant chicken and egg question.
Jessica
Jul 24, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Likes: the information presented in this book is very interesting & possibly useful.

Dislikes: it was rather long-winded to describe every research as was done in the book. That preference is all down to the reader.

Having said that, there are so many types of people in this world: those who like details, those who don't, and those who just don't have a single nice thing to say about the books they read.

Final Verdict: I LIKED IT.
Frances
May 20, 2014 Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fascinating! I will never look at how I make decisions the same way ever again. I might even use this to influence how I go into meetings, interviews, etc. so that I can put my best foot forward and so others will have the best impression of me that I want them to have.
Wan Shoo
Mar 20, 2016 Wan Shoo rated it really liked it
Brilliantly written! This book awakens your consciousness on sensations, including Colours, temperature, brightness, smell and taste. By knowing this new science of physical intelligence, you will gain more in every occasion because our daily life is never lacked of sensation. Highly recommended !
Rebecca Cole
Aug 12, 2014 Rebecca Cole rated it it was ok
This book was interesting but half of it was common sense. The interesting part was seeing that what you kind of know is now supported by studies. So, I guess there really weren't anything surprising. It's was o.k..
Hannah Wingfield
Click here to read my full review, on my book blog.
Gregory Barron
Jan 31, 2015 Gregory Barron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting stuff. Embodied Cognition
Hmmm do we perceive someone being sweeter because we see them eat something sweet
Rachel
Jun 17, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating look at our physical sensation can affect us. The author notes how much work still needs to be done, but it offer a great look at where psychology and biology overlap.
Gerkhe
Jun 20, 2016 Gerkhe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely interesting book. Never thought daily life things would be affected by everyday situations. I read it for my class project and definitely blew my mind away.
Intersys
Intersys rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Dasha Komissarova
Dasha Komissarova rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Menni
Menni rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Bangkokian
Bangkokian rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Siv30
Siv30 rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Monika Patašiūtė
Monika Patašiūtė rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2015
Alexander Maraki
Alexander Maraki rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Martin
Martin rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2015
Will Vincent
Jun 21, 2015 Will Vincent rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written. Quite dull to read. Gave up 50% of the way through:
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Way We'll Be: The Zogby Report on the Transformation of the American Dream
  • The EFT Manual
  • Designing Gestural Interfaces: Touchscreens and Interactive Devices
  • The Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the  K-12 Education That Every Child Deserves
  • Trade-Off: Why Some Things Catch On, and Others Don't
  • Getting Unstuck: How Dead Ends Become New Paths
  • The Geopolitics of Emotion: How Cultures of Fear, Humiliation, and Hope are Reshaping the World
  • Power Cues: The Subtle Science of Leading Groups, Persuading Others, and Maximizing Your Personal Impact
  • Changing the Game: How Video Games Are Transforming the Future of Business
  • Start Over, Finish Rich: 10 Steps to Get You Back on Track in 2010
  • The Marriage-Go-Round: The State of Marriage and the Family in America Today
  • 10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea
  • The Ten Roads to Riches: The Ways the Wealthy Got There (and How You Can Too!)
  • Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Pu
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • My Orange Duffel Bag: A Journey to Radical Change
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • It's Not About the Shark: How to Solve Unsolvable Problems