Start by marking “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland” as Want to Read:
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Read Book* *Different edition

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  348,671 Ratings  ·  7,587 Reviews
Published October 1st 2004 by Dalmatian Press (first published 1865)

To ask other readers questions about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, please sign up.

Cynthia Garza See www.gutenberg.org. They collect the text of books that are in the public domain. Also I searched "free online annotated alice in wonderland". I…moreSee www.gutenberg.org. They collect the text of books that are in the public domain. Also I searched "free online annotated alice in wonderland". I found a pdf file, downloaded it, and will remove it when I finish the other part of the text: -Through the Looking Glass-. This works with almost any book in the public domain. You can search to see what the criteria is for a book being in the public domain.
Good luck,(less)
Abigail Basaraba Unfortunately, you can't read on goodreads :(. However an app like that with free books would be nice, there's still ibooks if you're willing to pay.…moreUnfortunately, you can't read on goodreads :(. However an app like that with free books would be nice, there's still ibooks if you're willing to pay. (less)

Manny
"Good gracious!" said Alice, "I do believe I'm inside a review!"

She turned to the Hatter and the March Hare.

"Well, let me see. Here is the title, and here is the date I read it. That must be today. Now I need to explain the plot and the overall point."

"There is no plot," said the March Hare disagreeably.

"And there is no point," agreed the Hatter.

He poured a little hot tea on the Dormouse's nose, making it wake with a start.

"The book breaks new ground," it said rapidly in a high, sing-song voi
J.G. Keely
I think that the failure not only of Children's Literature as a whole, but of our very concept of children and the child's mind is that we think it a crime to challenge and confront that mind. Children are first protected from their culture--kept remote and safe--and then they are thrust incongruously into a world that they have been told is unsafe and unsavory; and we expected them not to blanch.

It has been my policy that the best literature for children is not a trifling thing, not a simplific
Huda Yahya

I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then!

انس كل ما تعرفه عن الأفلام أو الكارتون

أعطتهم أملا عظيما في تحقيق أكثر أحلامهم جنونا

وظلت لأكثر من مائة سنة متعة لكل قارئ إنجليزية
ومصدر بهجة لأطفال لا حصر لعددهم

:::::::::::::

Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Now, here, you see, it takes al
Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
*Reread January 2016*
Read for the school this time and I read the Puffin In Bloom edition. I loved the new illustrations!
Patty
Jul 13, 2007 Patty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Well, if you really love this book, please do not read on! I really did not enjoy the book, and I'm a little surprised that it's considered a classic. The one thing I did enjoy was that there were many imaginative scenes - all of the different places that she went, like the tea party, the garden, etc. But, the characters were drawn very poorly - they were simply drawn, and most were just annoying (even Alice!). Most of the characters in the great "wonderland" were either cruel, mean or contrary ...more
Bangadybangz
I can't believe I haven't picked up this book until now. I watched the animated film a million times as a kid, and I've seen the Tim Burton movie, but reading the original story was such a delightful experience! WHIMSY TO THE MAX. I know it's supposed to be basically a nonsensical story (and opium-fueled apparently) but I think there's actually a lot of wisdom to be taken from it. People take life too seriously sometimes. A little nonsense now and then does the body good (where have I heard that ...more
Petra X
This book makes perfect sense if you had a misspent youth and went in for psychedelic substances. Just as Lewis Carroll undoubtedly did. Well he certainly liked opium.

If you ever tripped out getting bigger and smaller, things that half disappear in the air and inanimate objects suddenly coming to life were part of the fun of the trip.

Lewis Carroll wrote Alice as a children's fantasy, but I believe he and his friends must have had a quiet smile at no one guessing the source of his inspiration. O
James
Having just finished Alice in Wonderland, the first thing that occurs to me is that I wish I had read it years ago. I've known the story of Alice for years thanks to Disney and the Mad Hatter on Batman, but for some reason I didn't get around to reading this as a child. While I expected to like it, I never realized what a joy this book would be.

Carroll was a logician, so it should come as no surprise that he uses his expertise in that field to create many hilarious logical fallacies. But what i
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
Go home, Alice. You're drunk.
Manny
I couldn't resist this translation of Alice in Wonderland when I saw it going for one euro at a second-hand bokstall in Berlin, and I had to read it as soon as we got home. I'm sure it's helped improve my German; it's also introduced me to the fascinating world of Carroll translation studies. I had vaguely been aware that the subject existed, but I knew next to nothing about it. I'm still only scratching the surface, but at least I'm a little better informed.

The introduction to my French edition
Nikoleta
Mar 04, 2016 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Η αναγνωστική μου εμπειρία με το βιβλίο «η Αλίκη στην χώρα των θαυμάτων» ήταν άκρως υπερρεαλιστική. Ήταν λες και παρακολουθούσα ένα όνειρό μου, με την λογική ενός ξύπνιου ατόμου. Δεν είναι μόνο η πλοκή, δεν είναι μόνο τα άξαφνα τρελά συμβάντα, αλλά και ότι η Αλίκη τα βιώνει έχοντας την συμπεριφορά που έχει κανείς όταν ονειρεύεται. H απάθεια της όταν συναντά έναν κούνελο με γιλέκο που μιλά, η ο μονόλογος της «(…) εγώ ήμουν αυτή που σηκώθηκα σήμερα το πρωί; Θαρρώ, θυμάμαι πως ένιωσα κομμάτι αλλιώτ ...more
Jonathan

Whenever I have something to write for university, for personal entertainment or as a review I always start at a basic idea. A single question or thought that I can grow my writing from organically. Sometimes it could be a question such as 'what if Mondays became Tuesdays?' My answer, we'd want Tuesdays to become Wednesdays and so on until we had nothing left but Sundays. In this case as I come back and write this review of a book read years ago my question is: Is Alice in Wonderland really a ch
Aug 14, 2011 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was curious and curiouser and I just don't get it. So while I admit that the Alice in Wonderland movie doesn't really make a whole lot of sense either, it pales in comparison to this coked out misadventure. I've read that it is entirely unfounded speculation that the author was on drugs when he wrote this, although if I were him I would tell people I was on drugs rather than have them believe this was the work of my sober thought process. Half the time I didn't understand anything the ...more
Zoë
Jan 15, 2015 Zoë rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5
I really enjoyed the beginning of the novel, but soon this whimsicality just grew too much for me. I didn't really understand what was happening at the trial and pretty much gave up trying to understand. Honestly, I think this is one of those rare instances where the movie is better than the book! This is a short book, though, so if you have a few hours to spare and want to read a classic, I'd recommend!
Manny
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, The Annotated Alice (6) versus The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (27)

"Let us hear the evidence!" said the King. The White Rabbit opened the letter and began reading aloud:
The Knave of Hearts, he killed some tarts
And kept them in his cellar...
"Stuff and nonsense!" interrupted Alice loudly. "That's not how it goes at all!"

"Silence in court!" said the King. "And you, young lady, will go and sleep with Mikael Blomkvist right now!"

"I shan't!" said Ali
Irena
Nov 28, 2015 Irena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
description

I think it was a good choice for me to reread one of my favorite childhood stories before I read the one I really wanted to: Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

When I was a little girl I LOVED the Disney movie and, since this book has some different aspects, it is no wonder I find the movie to be better.
However, it was still a really enjoyable ride everytime I read it.

description
Everlasting quotes are the reason this book is classic, and I love them all!

description
I have always wondered what inspir
Mario
Dec 28, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

First of all, this was my 200th read book this year, so YAY for me!

Second of all, even though I've watched countless adaptations of Alice, it was completely new experience to read this book (well, listen actually). If you haven't already read this book, I suggest listening to Storynory's audiobook. The narrator did an amazing job, and she really brought all those characters to life.
madamereadsalot
Sep 27, 2015 madamereadsalot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually I don't want to rate this, since it is a classic with a lot of meaning for me, alongside with Peter Pan...

As you may know, I am to be considered a grownup at almost 27. But I am only partially. I will probably always have that part in me, that makes me think 'I'm a little mad' or 'I don't want to grow up.'
And book s like 'Alice in Wonderland', although it is about a little girl and not a grownup woman, have a deep connection with me. They make me feel that not only it is ok, to have a
seak
Jan 09, 2012 seak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I always have a hard time reviewing the "classics." Not so much because I don't have anything new to say - I have my own impressions - but more because what if I didn't like it? Does that make me poorly read or did I just not get what everyone else got? There's a very good chance of the latter no matter what I'm reading, let's just be honest.

But that's not that I didn't like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I gave it 4 stars as you can plainly see (although you'll see in a minute I actually gav
Ian Grayejoy
description

"It’s Not a Review Letter after All, It’s Just a Set of Verses"

Little Edith, in this curious book,
You’ll find pictures and conversations,
Wisdom and play in proportion,
If just once you could climb
Down the rabbit hole with your sister,
Where fiction, like a telescope,
Can both shut up and expand
Perspective, Space and Time.

When approaching adolescence,
A young girl might find herself
Wondering: What is my place?
And which way should I go?
How do I make a choice?
When all around I’m tempted
"Drink me...e
Emma
Apr 15, 2016 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
What the hell just happened?

I loved the cartoon film when I was younger, but was obviously unaware that the author was either crazy or drugged. I don't know whether I loved it or hated it. So I've gone half way.

Despite Scarlett Johansson's American accent essentially relocating the story, I thought it suited Alice's character quite well. She's a rather self-assured little girl.

I'm going to have to do some background reading on this one; I genuinely have no idea whether it's just an ode to ima
Daniel
Apr 26, 2016 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW.

Znaci svaka cast godn Kerolu, savrseno je preneo osecaj kada neko sanja. Gomila gkuposti koje nemaju smisla a opet sve uspesno zaokruzeno u jednu veoma dopadljivu celinu. Plus i sami crtezi su odlicni.

Mogu samo da se pridruzim vozu hvalospeva i da kazem citajte ako niste. Narocito pred spavanje :)
Sue
Ah, what a delight! It has taken me all these years to finally read this classic and I'm so glad I now have joined the legions. And Dali's illustrations....a wonderful extra, though I do now feel a need to read a copy with the original illustrations which the author mentions from time to time within the tales.

As for the tales themselves, it's odd that I could make it into my 60s and not know them all but only bits and pieces. As I mentioned in a status update, lyrics from songs of the 60s (Jeffe
Paul Capps
Feb 09, 2016 Paul Capps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After seeing this list of the top books people lie about reading:

I realized that I too am included among those who have not read Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland.

Like most, I know the story from its numerous iterations through the years, but I’ve never read Lewis Carroll’s original text. This was an easy remedy since both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are available for free from the Kindle store, so now there’s no excuse.

I intend t
mai ahmd
Jan 27, 2013 mai ahmd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: روايات

حين قررت قراءة هذه الرواية كنت أبحث عن كتاب صغير ومسلي وكنت أتوقع سهولة في القراءة خاصة وأن الرواية للأطفال لكنه لم يكن كذلك ليس لسبب سوى أن أغلب الشخصيات في الرواية شخصيات غير منطقية وقد يكون ذلك طبيعيا لأن الرواية قامت على حلم الطفلة آليس وفي بلاد العجائب المكان المناسب لساحة الخيال..

شخصيات الرواية وإن كانت تبدو غير ودية ولامبالية أحيانا متنافرة إلا إنها بلا شك شخصيات ملهمة ومفعمة بروح المرح بسبب غرابة تصرفاتها وحديثها الغير مفهوم والخالي من المنطق الجميع مجنون في هذه الرواية حتى أليس إنساقت ل
Emily May
I'm still not sure whether I think Lewis Carroll created a fantastic piece of fantasy or a great big pile of nonsense. I suspect it's a combination of the two. I like some of Alice's adventures - really, how could I not? - but Wonderland was always leaning a bit towards the negative side of bizarre for me.
karen
Aug 01, 2008 karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
these are my favorite illustrations for alice...
*nawaf

تُعد هذه القصة من أهم قصص الأطفال في العصر الحديث ، ولم تُتَح لي قراءتها من قبل ولما رأيتها في معرض الكتاب حرصت على اقتنائها بطبعتها الجديدة ، وهي ممتعة ـ وبالأخص للأطفال ـ ، ولكن تبقى مشكلة ـ كغالب الكتب المترجمة ـ أنها غير موجهة في لغتها لنا فيظهر لنا الغموض في المعنى والضعف في السياق اللغوي ـ لا تناسبنا كقراء باللغة العربية ـ ولعل قراءتها في لغتها الأصلية أفضل وأجدى ، ولو تمكن كاتب من إعادة صياغتها باللغة العربية لخرج لنا بنص بنص بديع فيه من المتعة الشيء الكثير.
عندي حكم مسبق في تصوير القصص وا
Apr 23, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm probably the world's biggest Alice fan. I collect anything and everything Alice whether it's classic style or Disney, doesn't matter. I even named my first child Alice. I have read Wonderland and Looking Glass several times throughout my life and I enjoy them every time. I've read them to my kids too and they like them as well. It's just fun and nonsense. There's no need to deeply analyze the greater meaning deep within the story or to try to figure out the author's motives or anything. It's ...more
علي الماجد
هل هذه قصة للاطفال فعلا؟

الهروب من عالمك الحالي لعالم من الخيال تمرح و تلعب كما تشاء و لكن حتى في بلاد المرح يوجد الظلم و للسخرية سميت بملكة القلوب؟!! لما لم يتم اختيار اي نوع اخر من الورق كالجواهر او الشرييه

الارنب الممسك بالساعة و يصيح دوما لا يوجد وقت! لا يوجد وقت! انا متأخر!

هذا حال معظم الموظفين اليوم في دوامة الحياة يجرون كالمجانين

BookCircle - Geme...: #4 KAPITEL 8 bis 9 2 78 May 27, 2016 12:20PM
BookCircle - Geme...: #3 KAPITEL 6 bis 7 5 76 May 27, 2016 07:11AM
BookCircle - Geme...: #2 KAPITEL 4 bis 5 6 90 May 27, 2016 01:25AM
BookCircle - Geme...: #1 KAPITEL 1 bis 3 11 176 May 27, 2016 01:22AM
Who Doesn't Love ...: Alice In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll, 3 Stars 5 7 May 24, 2016 02:22PM
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
  • Peter Pan
  • The Magic of Oz (Oz, #13)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • The Castle of Adventure (Adventure, #2)
  • The Borrowers Aloft (The Borrowers #4)
  • Nutcracker
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • الأخوات الثلاث
  • The Blue Fairy Book
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • The Magic City
  • The Little Mermaid and Other Tales
  • The Wonderful O
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (2 books)
  • Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #2)

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.” 13577 likes
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
5083 likes