Start by marking “The Heath Anthology of American Literature, Volume A: Colonial Period to 1800” as Want to Read:
The Heath Anthology of American Literature, Volume A: Colonial Period to 1800

The Heath Anthology of American Literature, Volume A: Colonial Period to 1800

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Unrivaled diversity and teachability have made The Heath Anthology a best-selling text since the publication of its first edition in 1989. In presenting a more inclusive canon of American literature, The Heath Anthology continues to balance the traditional, leading names in American literature with lesser-known writers and to build upon the anthology's other strengths: its ...more
Paperback, 5th Edition, 1387 pages
Published 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company (first published December 13th 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about The Heath Anthology of American Literature, Volume A

Terri Lynn
I have wallowed in this book, spending much time reading one piece after another, sometimes for hours. This volume covers American literature from Native America oral tradition to 1800 and is refreshing in that it includes lots of writings by women and people of color as well as the usual dead white men. There are interesting introductory articles that are full of interesting information.

I pitied poor Richard Frethorne who came to America as an indentured servant and wrote pathetic letters to
Sunniva
Nov 12, 2014 Sunniva rated it liked it
Shelves: study
This anthology is really good if you are interested in an overview the literature from the colonial period. It contains excerpts from the most significant parts of literature written in that time period. If you are more interested in the history, I would not recommend this anthology, apart from as a source for extra material. The literature is highly subjective and not very organised in terms of creating an understanding of the historical events. Good book to have as a source of secondary readin ...more
Trina
Sep 09, 2008 Trina rated it really liked it
The Puritans were hilarious people. If only this was the stuff we had to read in high school; junior year of English would have been far more interesting. I think my favorite passage is "A Sad Case of Bestiality." It's important when reading this book, however, to have a computer close by with access to that dictionary that provides all of the previous meanings of words.
Robyn
Nov 01, 2012 Robyn rated it really liked it
I'll be honest. I read what was required for class and then skimmed. To be read more thoroughly over break. Love the variety and inclusion of women writers, as well as native tales and slave narratives. America was not solely the land of the male and white.
Colin Futrelle
Jan 01, 2008 Colin Futrelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in history
I learned a lot of history from this book which goes untaught in schools.
Cindy
Oct 30, 2007 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: to anyone who has to teach American Literature survey I

Get the instructor's guide if possible. Never had one before. It helps. Some.
Deanna
Deanna rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2016
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Benjamin Taylor
Benjamin Taylor rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2016
Edinette
Edinette rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Anna Anderson
Anna Anderson rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Eniola
Eniola rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2015
Rick
Rick rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Nic
Nic rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2015
Tania Di
Tania Di rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Sara Boling
Sara Boling rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Matthew Van
Matthew Van rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Jade Leadingham
Jade Leadingham marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014