The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)

The Dragon Revenant (Deverry #4)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  3,454 ratings  ·  37 reviews
For years the provinces of Deverry have been in turmoil; now the conflict escalates with the kidnapping of Rhodry Maelwaedd, heir to the throne of Aberwyn.Intent on rescuing him, his beloved Jill and the elven wizard Salamander infiltrate the distant land of Bardex, where Rhodry is held captive.Tied to Deverry by obligation and circumstance, the immortal wizard Nevyn begin...more
Published April 1st 1990 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Revenant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Revenant

Mark
It has been 16 years since I first picked up the first Deverry novel, DaggerSpell, and here in am, 16 years later, about to finish the fifteenth and final one.

Has the journey been worth it? Yes. Was the wait too long? Yes.

I would not recommend anyone starts reading the Deverry cycle unless they intend to read them all, as the macroscopic story is at least as important as the microscopic ones, and as such I am reviewing the books as a set.

I almost give them 4 stars (excellent) but in the end I am...more
Rhod Chang
My favorite of the books even though it doesn't have flashbacks, which are usually my main reason for coming back and re-reading the Deverry books. Because really, I just love the whole damn setup so much -- Rhodry in Bardek, Jill starting to learn dweomer but with SALAMANDER of all people, the wonderful bit where we find out what kind of bird Salamander turns into, and above all, Gwin, Gwin, Gwin, Gwin, oh God, GWIN.
Lizzie Newell
This is quite an improvement from the previous two books in the series. The flashbacks are gone, the plot much more engrossing, and the ending has a better sense of completion. Kerr's grasp of her material and themes seems much more assured and more clearly conveys her take on Celtic practices and world view. Teh books show a simplistic polarized view evil which I dislike. If the overblown cliches of evil were removed, it would be difficult to distinguish between good guys and bad guys. Both goo...more
Melanie
Another excellent read from Kerr. After reading Book 3 of the Deverry series, I saw myself stopping after the first 4. Now, having read The Dragon Revenant, I want to read the next set of 4! I love the characters, love the plot, and look forward to finding out more about Jill, Nevyn, Rhodry and the Wildfolk in Book 5.
Rebecca
Perfect. This story went exactly the way I wanted it to. As much as I liked the other books, the past lives confused me too much, and I always felt that Jill was overshadowed (probably on purpose). In this story, she finally gets the chance to begin exploring the dweamor, and to really be herself. We get a good cast of characters in this story- Rhodda and Salamander in particular shined bright. I hope to see more from them in the coming books.

My only complaint is Perryn- yes, his crimes toward J...more
Patrickderaaff
Op de Bardekse Archipel begint een barbaarse slaaf zijn geheugen terug te krijgen. Hij blijkt een belangrijk man te zijn in het Koninkrijk Deverry en verschillende partijen jagen op hem. Zowel Goede als Kwade machten...

Stoere Rhodry en norse Jill boeien matig, de charmante en kleurrijke Salamander en de Meester van de Ether Nevyn des te meer. De verrichtingen van zowel de Oude als de Havikenmeester vind ik ook interessant, eigenlijk alles wat met de dweomer te maken heeft. Het Natuurvolk vind ik...more
Elondel
Tatiana
Book 4 "The Dragon Revenant" (known as "Dragonspell" in the UK) marks the end of the first cycle of the Deverry Saga. More details about the saga, plot, style etc. on my comment here for Book 1: Daggerspell.

I found the end of this first cycle really satisfying. Book 3 had ended on an unbearable cliffhanger. You're taken into the suspense again right from the first pages of this 4th installment. Unlike the 3 previous novels, this one won't make us discover in flashbacks parts of our heroes past l...more
Benjamin Thomas
This is the fourth novel in the "Deverry" series and the last of the first quartet therein. It's also the first book in the series that stays all in the same timeframe, not jumping back and forth among different timeframes as the previous books do. If I had known that prior to reading this novel, I might have been worried because, frankly, having multiple timeframes with many characters that are reincarnations of themselves was one of the coolest ideas I've ever come across in fantasy fiction. B...more
Amanda
For the first time in the Deverry series, all the action remains in the present day rather than flitting back to fill gaps in the past, and the plot/pacing is all the tighter for it.

Rhodry has been sold as a slave on the Bardek islands, and one storyline follows his new life, intersected with information about Salamander and Jill chasing him down. Behind all this we discover more about the politics and machinations within the Hawks, the Brotherhood and, behind them all, the Old One - desperate e...more
Grianne
Artin
When I first started reading the opening book of the series, I very much doubted that I'd finish it. But when the sad ending-or rather, the sad opening-in one-third of the Daggerspell through brought me to tears I somehow knew I couldn't simply quit reading it.
Finishing The Dragon Revenant, and thus the first act, I must say I'm very glad I kept reading the first book. Looking back at it right now it seems to me that it was worth every minute. While the various time-frames and perhaps not so rel...more
kat
It's hard to overstate how disappointing this book was. Long. Dull. Uninspired. Anticlimactic. A pale, passionless shadow of the way the series started out.

I'm glad all the loose ends got tied up and the story all sorted itself out, but boy was it a slog to get here. Unlike the others, this book takes place in a single time period, which makes it even more obvious that Kerr has given up on the one truly original and interesting aspect of Daggerspell -- the reincarnation and Wyrd.

Minus the intere...more
Broodingferret
Kerr's Deverry series is broken up into four "scenes", each of which is subdivided into tetralogies (and one trilogy), and The Dragon Revenant wraps up the first one. Unlike the previous novels, this one remains in one time period, namely the established "present", where it manages to tie up enough plot threads to make for a satisfying and distinct conclusion of sorts, while still leaving just enough to make it clear that the overall story isn't over. Kerr also shows a good grasp of realistic ch...more
Kerry
Awesome book. A great conclusion to this arc of the story.

I first read these when they came out and I started but never finished the next one. I don't think I was ready for the change in time and location. This time I'm excited to move on and learn more of the wider story.

Highly recommended, but start with the first book, Daggerspell.
Kenny
Wow, that flew by.
A very easy book to read, and a much simpler, straightforward tale compared to the previous three in the series. I found myself missing the previous life stories, as this book was squarely focused on Rhodry and Jill. It was a very fitting, and appropriate ending to the story that started with a young girl playing with the wildfolk and a wandering old herbman searching for her.
Bea
I could not resist and I'm not disappointed. I liked the story from the start to the end and there is not one thing that i'm not satisfied with. The five stars are as for this book as for whole Deverry act, because I just cannot rate this book as single. On the one side I could say that "nothing new in this book" but on the other side it's worthy end of an exceptional four-books cycle. (oh, I hope I used right words, I'm still slow with english) I'm glad that there wasn't past period, I liked th...more
Fantasy Literature
For the first time in the DEVERRY series, all the action takes place in the present day rather than flitting back to fill gaps in the past, and the plot and pacing are all the tighter for it.

Rhodry has been sold as a slave on the Bardek islands, and one storyline follows his new life, intersected with information about Salamander and Jill chasing him down. Behind all this we discover more about the politics and machinations within the Hawks, the Brotherhood, and, behind them all, the Old One — d...more
Toby Andersen
Again like the rest in the series its relatively well written but nothing special. Kerr never seems to go into detail about action and certain other stuff in the way George RR Martin might or Scott Lynch. However the series is addictive and this book is the best of the first 4. the best story and more believable, better realised world out on the islands and more interesting than the previous novels. it still suffers from the same simplicity the others do and the very un epicness of the story, bu...more
Jessica
More good stuff from Katharine Kerr. This story has been fascinating and diverse while maintaining characters over four books. The characters grew and changed and developed well.
Andrew Reinke
The Hawks, a group of assassins kidnap the exiled heir to the Gwerbretrhyn of Aaberwyn. When this happens, his lover Jill must team up with half-brother he must not know he has to save the fate of Eldidd and the whole kingdom of Deverry. To complicate matters, Jill's magic decides to pick the wrong moment to manifest. Can they save Rhodry in time? Can Jill keep a rein on her powers? Will Salamander cause total disaster? Found out this and more.
Katharine Kerr makes excellent use of symbolism to f...more
Panda99
Great conclusion, storylines tie together nicely.
Michael O'Donnell
Fourth in the series. New and exotic scenes. Closes of the stories. Leaves options for more to come. A good read.
Khronus
Brilliant read. I loved the story interwoven through the centuries as we are presented with both the present and past, to learn all the intricate details surrounding the characters and their past and present incarnations of their very souls. Superbly written and I found myself unable to stop reading until I had finished the set.
Hilary
This completes the first section of the Deverry tapestry. If you want, you can stop here, after book 4, though there are plenty of loose ends that are woven into the following series, but if you want some form of resolution for Jill, Rhodry, Nevyn and The Old One you'll find it.
Hope
This one finishes up the author-described "first act" of the Deverry Series, and anyone not wishing to invest time and money into 10-or-so more volumes should stop here. Not that the rest aren't enjoyable, but this one brings a very satisfactory finish to Nevyn's story-arc.
Rachael
I loved this one! A great follow up to the last book. I read it in less than a day. I really appreciate Kerr for not going into all the details of Rodhry's torture. Excellent book. Now I am forcing myself to wait for summer before I buy the next book.
Kate
Sep 16, 2009 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deverry Lovers
Shelves: fantasy, 2009, dragons
Brooke
Fantastic read. Bawled my eyes out at the end though. Must say my favorite character through that whole book was Ebany Salamander. Every time he had me cracking up with laughter and I'd always be hanging on what bird he'd call Jill next.
David Holec
Důstojné zakončení čtyřdílné série Deverry. První polovina knihy naprosto bez chybičky, pak se to začalo trochu táhnout. To ale nebrání tomu, abych knihu ohodnotil více než dobře. K téhle sérii se ještě někdy určitě vrátím.
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 1)
  • Divided Allegiance (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #2)
  • Prince of Demons (Renshai Chronicles, #2)
  • The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2)
  • Daughter of the Lion (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, #6)
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #3)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
Born in Ohio, 1944. Moved to San Francisco Bay Area in 1962 and has lived there ever since. Katharine Kerr has read extensively in the fields of classical archeology, and medieval and dark ages history and literature, and these influences are clear in her work. Her epic Deverry series has won widespread praise and millions of fans around the world.
More about Katharine Kerr...
Daggerspell (Deverry, #1) Darkspell (Deverry, #2) A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1) The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3) Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)