The Hunt Club

The Hunt Club (Huger Dillard #1)

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  53 reviews
In this lyrically written, hauntingly seductive novel, Bret Lott brings to life the beauty and flavor of the mist-covered swamps and backlands of South Carolina's Lowcountry in a story that is both mystery and rite of passage. At fifteen, Huger ("you say it YOU-gee") Dillard already knows a great deal about the ways of the world--or so he thinks. He may not have a father,...more
Published March 3rd 1999 by Harper Perennial (first published 1998)

Star of Wonder by Paige W. PendletonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteSimple Abundance by Sarah Ban BreathnachFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Longing for the Country Life
40th out of 142 books — 22 voters
The Joy Luck Club by Amy TanFight Club by Chuck PalahniukThe Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy FowlerThe Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-ReverteThe Dante Club by Matthew Pearl
Books with 'Club' in the Title
125th out of 130 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Brendan L
The Hunt Club. The protagonist is on a mystery hunt, finds out her mother has been abducted discovered and illegal business in their own backyard. General plot of the story. The plot at the beginning started off great with the mystery of a dead member of the Hungry Neck Hunt Club. After a while, the plot twists between who is the villain and the motives for the characters get scrambled and become very dull.

The Novel starts with the mystery of a murdered husband a great start to a mystery book a...more
bookczuk
Mixed feelings about this one-- There were parts that pulled me right in, but then I'd find myself getting distracted by the location- instead of my beloved lowcountry enhancing the novel for me, I found myself trying to think of exactly where the author was describing, or trying to figure out if an intersection or street or storefront really existed. Very disconcerting. And the whole business with the medical university bothered me-- maybe because I worked for 20 years at The Medical Universit...more
Jowell L.
Bret Lott’s The Hunt Club writes about Huger Dillard, a fifteen year old boy, and his development from childhood to facing the darkness of the outside world. The mystery begins as a mutilated body is discovered in Huger’s Uncle’s hunting club. They are then off to search for the criminal and the notions behind their actions. Sound interesting? Well, it doesn’t last long. After one or two pages of somewhat engaging story-telling, the novel completely loses its momentum as the sluggish process of...more
Alex Yu
The Hunt Club by Bret Lott is a beautifully-written novel that follows a young boy’s journey into adulthood. Bret Lott has successfully combined both a very thrilling and exciting plotline with deep questions and issues that the protagonist, Huger Dillard, learns of throughout his journey.

Huger is a 15-year-old boy who learns many things about the nature of the world and the secrets, lies and bad intentions that it’s overfilled with, through a trilling and fast-paced chase through Hungry Neck,...more
Will Byrnes
Set in the land around Charleston, South Carolina, this tale, not written by Pat Conroy, tells of a young (15) lad, Huger, and his blind uncle, Leland. “Unc” is the owner of a significant tract of land, used for generations as a hunt club, a place where the wealthy of Charleston, those who live ”South of Broad,” come to drive pickups into the woods and shoot at animals that have been scared up by the locals. Think Dick Cheney and crew driving from stop to stop to jump out of their cars to take a...more
Holly
A fifteen year old boy works w/ his blind uncle at a hunt club in South Carolina whose clients are the wealthy elite. W/in the first couple of pages, Huger and his uncle happen upon a headless dead man w/ skinless hands w/ a sign indicating the uncle might know something about it. The mystery of who would do this and why is the story of "The Hunt Club."

The action-packed nature of the writing does keep the reader's attention, but rather inconsequential details and extra characters mire the story...more
Derek
The Hunt Club

The suspenseful book of The Hunt Club, written by Bret Lott is exquisitely crafted and has a very imaginative plotline. The book first introduces you with the character Huger Dillard, a fifteen year old boy, who has a complex family, living sometimes at his blind Uncle Leland’s hunt club or at his mom’s house.
The emotionally gripping novel starts with the encounter of a defaced and skinned corpse in the grassland of the Hungry Neck hunt club. The plot instantaneously starts to mesh...more
Cindy
eehhh -- okay -- I guess. The vernacular was distracting at times, like reading a foreign language, especially at the end. I seriously don't think that many words were needed to describe the situation, either the internal or external one! I like descriptive language as much as the next person, and I love a good wrap up, tying up all the loose ends, even when contrived -- this isn't quite that. Like it tries, but doesn't quite get there.
And then there is villainous behavior, not just in this stor...more
Katie Powell
If Bret Lott's The Hunt Club were a movie, Nicolas Cage would be its star. Overflowing with murders, chase scenes, illicit lovers, and the discovery of national treasures, I kept picturing Cage's sallow face and receding hairline, melodramatically windswept, charging across the pages of The Hunt Club as Leland Dillard ('Unc') in this 1998 novel. This is not a compliment.

Leland Dillard is the strong and silent type. He's blind (he lost his sight diving into a burning house to save his dying wife)...more
Shannon
Jun 03, 2009 Shannon rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shannon by: Aimee Guest
I got this book from the library after a friend read a book of short stories compiled by Lott. I started the short story collection and Lott's introduction was well-written, but I found, as always, that I just couldn't stick with the short stories. Instead, I thought I'd give one of Lott's novels a try. The quotes on the back of this book from the likes of Wally Lamb and Chris Bohjalian were encouraging since I have read and enjoyed books by both of these authors.

But I didn't enjoy The Hunt Club...more
Bobbi
This is one of those books that had definite things I didn't like and things I did like. In the end, I have to say I enjoyed it but with caveats. Lott's writing here is as beautiful as usual and yes, he can write a good thriller. The downside is that sometimes he gets to pontificating on say, the green of the swamp, and you're just wanting to know wether the bad guy is going to find the good guys in said swamp.
However, Lott brings to life the Charleston we don't normally see-the one outside of...more
Pamela
Through the eyes of fifteen year old Huger Dillard (pronounced "YOU-gee"), Lott tells a tale that winds and twists and turns again. The book includes a blind man who can "see," a protective mother, a dark family secret, a gruesome murder, lots of guns, a really good horse, redneck trash (think Deliverance), an arrogant aristocrat with elegant diction, legends, and buried treasure all in a coastal wilderness setting--does this sound like a modern Huck Finn combined with a few other novels? For on...more
Nancy
Because I was drawn in by the murder-mystery and liked 15 year old Houger(YOU-gee)I would have given this 3 or maybe even 4 stars. But there were too many heartless villains with raunchy foul mouths for me to recommend this to my friends. The authors description of the Low country of South Carolina makes me want to visit but the continual breaks in the action to tell us details of the surrounding streets and neighborhoods was trying. The round-up of all the motives & murders & crimes &...more
Dayna Smith
This is the story of a teenage Southern boy whose blind uncle runs a "hunt club" on several thousand acres of land. Every weekend rich doctors come to eat and hunt deer. One weekend Huger (You-Gee) and his Uncle Leland discover a dead body. This discovery sets in motion a chain of events that threaten Huger and everyone he cares about. When Huger untangles this web of murder, deceit, and lies will he ever be the same again? Will he survive? A wonderful whodunit! Just when you think you've figure...more
Caroline
Apr 20, 2008 Caroline rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Displaced Southerners, Fiction writers, Anyone taking a long flight
I'm a little torn here on how to rate this.

Plot: Eh...totally engaging, but seemed to become more & more contrived as the story develops. I guess I'm more comfortable with loose ends than Lott expects.

Actual writing: Awesome! For me, this is what drives the book--possibly more than plot. I really appreciate Lott's attention to the Southern dialect, pacing, and lush depiction of Charleston's trees, marshes, colors. I just wanted to roll around in his descriptions (of landscape, not dead bod...more
Shari
Not expecting much from this novel I picked out of a stack of used books but a quick easy read, I was very happy to find a beautifully crafted book.

A fifteen year old boy must step up in a frightening situation and protect and care for a blind uncle and an unhappy mother. The book, mostly dialogue and introspection done in dialect, did not falter. I was reminded of Twain by the tightness of the dialect, and Lott's fully developed style.

It is a quick read, but it's much better than good.
Maria (Ri)
Well, it took me 6 years to get to this one, but I finally did! It was not at all what I expected. It is told from the perspective of Huger, a 15 year old Southern boy. This book is a fast paced and often confusing thriller. At times I really felt like I had missed something. Taking breaks in the reading to tend to my 2 year old and 5 month old only added to the confusion. However, it still was an engaging read and carried with it the richness and heaviness I associate with the south.
Rennie
Quick pick off the shelf based on the back cover write up so no expectations going in. As there are no part stars, I gave it a 2 but it was really a bit better than that. Pretty good page-turner of a mystery with interesting characters. Some scenes in the second half go on too long which annoyed me but I skipped along and in the end liked pretty well but a 3 might make someone read it who would end up feeling it was a 1.5!
Bnschmid
this is a story of a fifteen year old boy growing up in the swamps of North Carolina's low-country.This story has everything;murder,pot growers who happen to belong to the local constabulary,deception,love,rednecks,etc...This kid,Huger{pronounced You-gee}goes through quite a bit in just a couple days.He is beaten up,kidnapped,witnesses countless murders,kisses a hot black chick,is shot.It was certainly interesting.
Roger Lansing
I truly enjoyed this book. I took a little bit to get used to the syntax of the "local dialect" but once I had that down, the book read very quickly. The story had me right from the opening line and the last 20 or 30 pages were well paced and hard to put down. Looking forward to reading more from Bret Lott and more this main character.
Susan
My bookshop snuck this Advanced Reading Copy to me because it's set in the town where my folks live - Charleston, S.C. There is a murder but this is much more a coming of age kind of story than a mystery. The story is very true to its Southern roots and the Charleston references were really interesting to me.
annelies
I think that if you are from the south you will like this book. It has very vivid landscape descriptions. I could never really get my heart into this book, even though it seemed like it should be a page turner, it wasn't quite there for me personally. I do want to read his book The Man Who Owned Vermont...
Jenn
This one did not live up to its reviews for me. The writer is too descriptive and does not get the story going fast enough nor does he really make me care about the characters like I should. There are other coming-of-agers that are better.
Bill S.
Atmospheric story of a fifteen year old boy coming of age in rural South Carolina. A tale wrapped around family relationships that aren't what they seem and a murder committed for love...or greed. Well written and very entertaining.
Lynn
I found the style slightly juvenile, as if written for teenagers or young adults. "Unc's" skills and heightened senses seemed a little super-hero-ish to me. The dialogue/monologue associated with the "landed gentry" was contrived.
Carol
This book was exciting from start to finish! I had never thought of Bret Lott as a suspense/mystery writer, but this was a pleasant surprise...I had no idea what was going to happen at every turn! Highly recommend to others!!
Stephanie
Huger, a 15 year old boy who is eyes for his blind uncle, and a deaf girl, are the unlikely detecting team to figure out who left a body on the uncle's Hunt Club. A mystery that did not read like a mystery. Good characters.
Matthew Mitchell
Grishamesque, riveting, fast-paced thriller with a coming of age, new self-understanding theme. Way more crude in language than I would prefer but fun to read. Read it in 4 hours on planes from Pittsburgh to New Orleans.
Jeanne
Think if this story had not been set in the low country I might have given it a higher rating, but in my opinion no author writes about the low country better than Pat Conroy. That said still found Bret Lott's book a good read.
Geri Luciano
I instantly fell in love with the characters and was totally engrossed...for awhile. After it became clear that it was a mystery/crime story I was less intrigued but it was still a decent book and fast read.
  • Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High, #1)
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)
  • Dear Bob and Sue
  • I Saw Esau: The Schoolchild's Pocket Book
  • Feather Crowns
  • The Arizona Kid
  • When Dad Killed Mom
  • King and King
  • The Boo
  • Life is Funny
  • Return to Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #4)
  • Easy Innocence (Georgia Davis, #1)
  • The Typist
  • Daddy's Roommate
  • Crazy Lady!
  • A Bigamist's Daughter
  • Cartesian Sonata and Other Novellas
  • Hey, Dollface
Jewel A Song I Knew By Heart: A Novel Dead Low Tide Ancient Highway Before We Get Started: A Practical Memoir of the Writer's Life