Peckinpah: THE WESTERN FILMS--A RECONSIDERATION

Peckinpah: THE WESTERN FILMS--A RECONSIDERATION

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Peckinpah: The Western Films, first published when the director's reputation was at low ebb, helped lead a generation of readers and filmgoers to a full and enduring appreciation of Peckinpah's landmark films. This expanded, revised edition includes a new section on the personal significance of The Wild Bunch to Peckinpah as well as a complete account of the successful, bu...more
Published June 29th 1999 by University of Illinois Press (first published October 1st 1996)

Joe Mcclure
Aside from the thorough, at times ecstatic, analyses of Peckinpah's Westerns, the thing about this book I most appreciate is how it places Peckinpah in the American literary tradition.

This forced me to think about something I knew but hadn't much considered: A good film has every right to be placed alongside a good novel. Seydor remarks that "The Wild Bunch" is a great as Hemingway's best work. And he's right.

The book takes an American studies approach, which I love. It's about much more than Pe...more
Bob
Another step in my personal examination of Peckinpah's movies. Terrific for any fan, revisit the movie, reference the book. Gives you a deeper understanding and appreciation of the movies, and the assembled group that produced them.
Stephen Hughes
Excellent study of Peckinpah's westerns by the guy who edited Turner and Hooch. The chapters on The Wild Bunch and Ride The High Country are standouts.

Chris S
Chris S marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Jim
Jim added it
Apr 29, 2014
Glen
Glen marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Tristram
Tristram marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Mike
Mike added it
Jul 22, 2011
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2009
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2008
The Authentic Death and Contentious Afterlife of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid: The Untold Story of Peckinpah's Last Western Film PECKINPAH WESTERN FILMS