Start by marking “The Anime Encyclopedia: A Guide to Japanese Animation Since 1917” as Want to Read:
The Anime Encyclopedia: A Guide to Japanese Animation Since 1917
Preview

The Anime Encyclopedia: A Guide to Japanese Animation Since 1917

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Here is the long-awaited, biggest guide ever, the absolute must-have for every fan, collector, library, and video-store browser. Included are over 2,000 Japanese animation films-from today's "PokA(c)mon," "Tenchi Muyo, "and "Sailor Moon" to the classic "Tetsuwan Atomu" ("Astro Boy") and little-known artistic gems like the anime life of Mozart-with key personnel, running ti ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Stone Bridge Press

To ask other readers questions about The Anime Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anime Encyclopedia

Indah Threez Lestari
Ensiklopedi ini sangat cocok jadi primbon para anime-otaku, meskipun data terbaru hanya sampai tahun 2005 (tentu saja, kalau mau update terus setiap saat mendingan langganan majalah Newtype atau majalah lokal Animonster sekalian). Buat mereka yang awam anime, buku ini bisa menambah wawasan dan pengetahuan agar tidak menganggap animasi hanya tontonan bagi anak-anak.

Industri anime sudah menjadi industri raksasa di Jepang, hingga pangsa pasarnya bukan hanya anak-anak dan remaja, tapi juga dewasa.
Chibineko
While I love my encylopedia to tatters, I will give the average reader some warnings about this book & a bit of history. In the past this encyclopedia was a bit lambasted for having a ratings scale, which not all fans agreed upon. (Because hey... just because I think that one anime is terrible doesn't mean that it actually is.) Then there were "weasel words" tucked into other reviews, which was far from being as unbiased as an encyclopedia should be. (I have to admit, I didn't see them until ...more
Tom
Jan 11, 2011 Tom rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: reference
When I first read about this tome, I was fairly excited; anime remains one of my primary obsessions, and the Anime Encyclopedia seemed to be the definitive reference work on the subject. When I finally had the chance to peruse it, however, I was appalled; it commits the cardinal sin of freely discussing plot twists (i.e., spoilers). Stay away unless you've somehow managed to watch every single anime made up through 2004 — the year the authors inexplicably set as a "no spoilers hereafter" mark, a ...more
L
Clements is not shy about sharing his opinions of the entries.
Jonah
From the wikipedia entry on the encyclopedia: Generally speaking, unlike dictionary entries, which focus on linguistic information about words, encyclopedia articles focus on factual information to cover the thing or concept for which the article name stands.

Indeed, factual information is what I was expecting, and it was the reason I purchased this tome, sight-unseen, from amazon some time ago. What I found instead are biased, snide capsule reviews.

I understand how touchy fans get about things l
Ashley
Clements, J., & McCarthy, H. (2001, September 1). The anime encyclopedia: A guide to japanese animation since 1917. New York, NY: Stone Bridge Press.

Citation by: Ashley D. Brown
Type of Reference: Encyclopedia
Call Number: NC1766 .J3 C53 2001

Brief description:
An expansive encyclopedia of more than 2000 anime films and TV series. Each entry includes a short synopsis of the anime feature, commentary, details about the creative staff, and comments on the work’s significance to anime history. A bi
Joel Julian
A wide range of information on quite literally, EVERY anime up until 2006. Feature Lengths, series, OVA's, specials, shorts ect... even the ones you don't really want to know about. My only qualm is that it's now quite a few years out of date. It's taken a while but I think another revised edition was released just this year.
Asher Riley
An extremely informative, highly enjoyable read. If you are a die hard Anime fan, than this is the must own book of your life. Filled with a lifetime's worth of information and stocked chock full of 1000's of fun to read entries on Anime films, directors, studios and important events and happenings in Anime's past and present. Overall, I highly recommend this book.
Ian
I've naturally not read it from cover to cover, it's an encyclopaedia. However, the use I've had from it, in my eyes, counts as read.

It's a great read and very informative; however, it's not a cover to cover book. Reference only.
Eric Orchard
Fascinating to flip through the synopsis of many anime I've never even heard of.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Date of first consultation approximate. I received this as a gift at one point.
BakuDreamer
Lots of stuff I didn't know about
Harris Al Rasyid
Mar 30, 2010 Harris Al Rasyid marked it as to-read
800 halaman!!!!!!!!
Aradia Ara
Aradia Ara marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Fay
Fay marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Kaitie
Kaitie added it
Apr 19, 2015
Paola Mercado
Paola Mercado marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Beau Noonphakdee
Beau Noonphakdee marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Naurhir
Naurhir marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Alexander Murray-Watters
Alexander Murray-Watters marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Paul Tokarski
Paul Tokarski marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
julia
julia marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Gme
Gme marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Mar 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Manga! Manga!: The World of Japanese Comics
  • Manga: The Complete Guide
  • Manga: 60 Years of Japanese Comics
  • Anime: from Akira to Princess Mononoke, Experiencing Contemporary Japanese Animation
  • Hayao Miyazaki: Master of Japanese Animation
  • The Art of Ponyo
  • The Animated Man: A Life of Walt Disney
  • Crest of the Stars 1: Princess of the Empire (Seikai no Monshou, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist Anime Profiles
  • Of Mice and Magic: A History of American Animated Cartoons; Revised and Updated
  • The Art of The Princess and the Frog
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • A Short History of the Middle Ages
  • Cartoon Modern: Style and Design in Fifties Animation
  • Planet Ladder, Volume 2
  • Immoral Tales: European Sex and Horror Movies, 1956-1984
  • Juvenile Orion, Volume 4
  • Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
Jonathan Clements is an author, translator, biographer and scriptwriter. His non-fiction works include biographies of Confucius, Marco Polo, Mao Zedong, Koxinga and Qin Shihuangdi. He also writes for NEO magazine and is the co-author of encyclopedias of anime and Japanese television dramas.
More about Jonathan Clements...
A Brief History of the Vikings: The Last Pagans or the First Modern Europeans? A Brief History of the Samurai Doctor Who: Immortal Beloved Doctor Who: Brave New Town Doctor Who: Survival of the Fittest (Big Finish Audio Drama, #131)