All of an Instant

All of an Instant

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From the author of Celestial Matters, which won the Compton Crook Award for best first novel and earned the author two nominations for the John W. Campbell Award for best new writer, All of an Instant is a large-scale, ground-breaking SF novel. It chronicles the discovery of a medium of existence outside of time (the Instant), from which one can influence all past and futu...more
Published November 2nd 1999 by Tor Books

Jeremy
I found this book at Dollar General in their discount section. The read was certainly much better than the couple of bucks I spent on it. I found the story to be quite engaging, a different way of looking at time travel and the consequences of every action. Although I have not yet gotten around to it, this one is on the re-read shelf.
Kookatchi
I read this book two to three times up to now and am sure to pick it up again in the future.
Richard Garfinkle creates one huge metaphor for time travel and works with it to the last consequence.

Time travel is done by a chosen few tribes, who swim in the ocean of time, every movement they make creating a wave which in turn changes the world of normal people.
These changes are secondary to the travelers, change in the real world is constant, no one knows what the original history has once been. But...more
Paul Madarasz
This book strips away the glamor of the usual time-travel tales, with whole galactic civilizations disappearing, replaced by a stone-age earth -- thanks to bands of time-travelers who take it upon themselves to improve things by altering the past. It seems to me to be more realistic (if one can call time-travel realistic) than any other books in this sub-genre.
Rohitashva
Mindfuck. One statement says it all. The hardest to imagine is the unimaginable.
Alessandra
My husband wrote this book, so I can't be objective. Please excuse my bias, and now I suggest going and reading the review of somebody with some perspective.
Scott Ross
i bought it for the title and the premiss. hard to follow. i keep putting it down for months at a time. not sure if i will finish it.
T Dale
Feb 19, 2010 T Dale added it
Crap. I got just a few pages into this before I gave it up as a bad experience. The style is impossible for me to follow.
Michelle Ruedin
A beautiful and unique universe. I've never read anything with a vision of time quite like this.
Robert
Gad this was struggle to finish. I've no idea why I kept going.
Peter Bell
Peter Bell marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Herr Lemmy
Herr Lemmy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Lovejot Bhullar
Lovejot Bhullar marked it as to-read
Matt Payne
Matt Payne marked it as to-read
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Cheryl Wolf
Cheryl Wolf marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Austin Starken
Austin Starken marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Steven Cralle
Steven Cralle marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Jace
Jace marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Alicia House
Alicia House marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
David Giguere
David Giguere marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Samantha Glasser
Samantha Glasser marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Sami Storey
Sami Storey marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Richard Garfinkle grew up in New York and now lives in Chicago with his wife and children. His first novel, Celestial Matters, won the Compton Crook award for best first science fiction novel of 1996. Garfinkle was twice a finalist for the John W. Campbell Award for best new writer. He has written numerous fiction and nonfiction works on his interests of history, science, imagination, and the pret...more
More about Richard Garfinkle...
Celestial Matters Wayland's Principia Unknowable Death Exaltations Two By Two Souls Fly