Start by marking “Land of the Free” as Want to Read:
Land of the Free

Land of the Free

On the road for the better part of a decade, Woodrow Landfair pawned everything he owned in 2006, departing on a secondhand motorcycle to live, research, and write what would become LAND OF THE FREE (Harbinger, June 10). A modern American odyssey, LAND OF THE FREE is the autobiographical recollection of an affable and often-embellishing opportunist, who abandons his home ...more
Published June 10th 2014 by Harbinger Book Group

To ask other readers questions about Land of the Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land of the Free

Courtney Thurston
Jul 19, 2014 Courtney Thurston rated it it was amazing
I'm definitely an adventure junkie, and this book really satisfied that craving. It's a journey through the heartland of America, and definitely an interesting read. I doubt you'll be able to put it down--I wasn't able to!
Mary  Iva Oliver
Oct 20, 2013 Mary Iva Oliver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Man, Entertaining Book.

(I am coping my review from Amazon. My review no longer links to the book and I cannot find it on Amazon. It was in kindle.)

Reading on the Internet about this Author. Exciting guy! He's famous. Do a search! Book stories keep my interest, very entertaining. I like books that easily activate my imagination. My mind enters, become part of the story. I am a night-time or sitting in the sunlight lawnchair reader and have been seeking some adventure stories as oppos
Derrick Ridgeway
This book kicked me down my own road - back to when I was 16 and then again after high school. Had a duffel bag and a pair of boots. Just like Huck Finn or Sal Paradise, or Highways And A Hero's own everyman protagonist. In a lot of ways, to read this was to remember childhood dreams, re-set in modern times and all too real within the context of the tale's narration.
Supposedly, this is a somewhat true tale. Or there is some thread of truth behind a similar experience of the author. How much of s
Logan Caine
Jul 30, 2014 Logan Caine rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what I would experience when I picked up this book. Being the curious person that I am, however, I was pleasantly surprised by the adventure locked within these pages. From start to finish, my mind was trapped by the story and the slew of characters presented. They were all memorable in their own way and I loved following the main character around on his travels. It even makes me want to do something similar... heck, I'd even get a motorcycle! *smiles*

Beyond just a great story and
Eric Dickerson
Apr 08, 2013 Eric Dickerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This autobiographical novel by Woodrow Landfair captures a spirit that seethes beneath modern America.
A young man desperate for a new adventure sells all he has and hits the road on an old motorcycle. As the storyline weaves magnificently across nearly every state in the country, the narrator's shifty identity creates the illusion of an heroic American everyman. Trapped within the very life he invents for himself, the story's unnamed protagonist attempts to outrun his problems and the law.
Catherine
Aug 08, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Written differently than other novels I've read, but I spent 4 hours on a bus reading this & not wanting to put it down for a break.

Landfair's writing allows the readers imagination to be in the setting and picture it in detail without writing too much.

A fun & exhilarating trip with the books main character!
Steve
Jul 24, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Experiencing America atop a motorcycle is one of those things that I guess I would say is on my bucket list. I have had a dream for a long time of packing a few things and heading out with my family on an extended motorcycle trip across America to see new things, meet new people, and to experience the raw freedom that makes this nation great.

My expectation for this book was basically a portrayal of this kind of adventure as experienced by someone else. It ended up being a little bit different th
Chad Perrin
Aug 03, 2016 Chad Perrin rated it liked it
Shelves: literary
I picked this up at a whim when I saw it on a shelf at the library. Something about the cover just caught my attention, and I hoped to surprise myself with something interesting and outside my normal interests. Unfortunately, it did not "wow" me.

The very beginning of it all was good enough as set-up, though the failure to "show, don't tell" was a bit overt. Shortly after that, it descended into a structureless ramble that lasted through a significant percentage of the book. It was more entertain
Love
Aug 24, 2014 Love rated it it was amazing
“You are only as big as the dream you dare to live” unknown

Many of us wake up every day with the same routine going to work 9-5, drive around to complete some errands, eat dinner, watch tv, and go to sleep all to wake up and do the same thing again tomorrow. How many of us long to leave the monotonous cycle that we are stuck in? How many of us dare to go and live life according to no one’s rules? Not many people have the heart to just walk away and find themselves. So, for the 95% of us that are
Rizaldy Fernandez
Jan 05, 2016 Rizaldy Fernandez rated it it was amazing
As one who wants to travel but cannot due to circumstances I was given, I very often like to
read books about people who traveled a lot. After reading this book, I later realized that this
is not from someone who traveled but was from someone who journeyed a lot. This is not about
how beautiful the scenes are but it is about how life can be so lying and cruel. I love the
author's quote on a chapter which goes something like, "Truth be told, I don't know anything,
specially about myself". This fo
Kevin
Jul 24, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, memoir, travel
This dude is crazy. But the wanderlust -the wanderlust is strong. I can relate to his romanticized. if off-kilter, need to travel and explore, to see and meet, to learn and unlearn. The chaos of his story makes you wonder how much is real. And when you realize he asks himself the same thing - that's when you realize it is the chaos you love about it. And the fear. Because how could you give up everything and take to the road? you couldn't do what he did - he's a special case. He's crazy. Or ...more
Raya Pomelkova
Apr 10, 2013 Raya Pomelkova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highways and a Hero is a book that really inspires you to go out and explore life. With it's free spirit and fearless stand, it resonates with anyone who ever wondered 'why?'. It is a road-trip story mixed with coming-of-age with dystopyan societies and circuses all written by a hand as poetic but gritty as Kerouac and Steinbeck.
Even if you love your cozy home the wind of freedom from the first page of this book will push you into this incredible adventure, riding next to Woodrow himself.
Arnie Barkis
Apr 13, 2013 Arnie Barkis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes you wonder, "why not me?". We've all fantasized of throwing caution to the wind and taking off and exploring this great wide country of ours, and here is the true story of a man who actually did it, and came away with some better stories than we probably would have. It's electric and freeing. It's the book I wish I not only wrote, but the book I wish I had actually lived.
Ruth Tel-tsur
Jul 21, 2014 Ruth Tel-tsur rated it it was amazing
Land of the free was completely captivating and kept me reading to the very last page. The fact that it is extremely well written and organized definitely benefited the complexity of the storyline. The characters are very well developed.
Overall, I was extremely happy with this book and I would definitely recommend this book to my friends and family.
Amelia Henson
Jul 23, 2014 Amelia Henson rated it it was amazing
In this plot, a young man pursues adventure unapologetically. You'll find yourself following him through his adventures throughout the United States of America. This is an acutely interesting read, and you won't be able to put it down if you're into adventure and exploring new places.
Allen Merritt
Allen Merritt rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Giorgia
Giorgia rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Raleigh
Raleigh rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Kody B
Kody B rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
May 08, 2015
Lori Holcomb-Holland
Lori Holcomb-Holland rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Solaris
Solaris rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Adrian Clay
Adrian Clay rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Lacey Elliott
Lacey Elliott rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2014
Mouse
Mouse rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2016
Heather Poginy
Heather Poginy rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2014
Matt Rosier
Matt Rosier rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Ray S.
Ray S. rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
  • Get Inside Her: Dirty Dating Tips & Secrets From A Woman On How To Attract, Seduce And Get Any Female You Want
  • Wellness Warrior: Fighting for Life in Fabulous Shoes
  • The First Drop of Rain
  • Judgment Day (Trinity Blood: Rage Against the Moons, #4)
  • Antarctic Tears: Determination, adversity, and the pursuit of a dream at the bottom of the world
  • The Identity Thief
  • One Small Victory
  • 伯爵と妖精 あいつは優雅な大悪党 [Hakushaku to Yousei: Aisatsu wa Yuuga na Daiakutou]
  • The Late Lord Byron
  • The Mammoth Book of Sorcerers' Tales : The Ultimate Collection of Magical Fantasy from Tom Holt, Ursula K. LeGuin, Michael Moorcock, Peter Crowther, Louise Cooper, and many more
  • Angels in the Fire: The Dramatic True Story of an Impossible Rescue
  • The Fallen (Derek Stillwater, #3)
  • Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail
  • Taking Chances
  • Moon-Flash (Kyreol, #1)
  • Rising Shadow (The Soterians, #1)
  • Fantasy Stories
  • Boogiepop And Others
7011919
Woodrow Landfair is the author of LAND OF THE FREE (Harbinger Book Group, 2014) and the author/ performer of the one man show 48 STATES OF ADVENTURE (2007), later recorded live and released on iTunes and Amazon as 48 LIVE (SB Productions, 2009).

Landfair gained notoriety in 2006 chronicling an indefinite forty-eight state motorcycle trek for which he pawned most his possessions. Landfair paid his w
More about Woodrow Landfair...