Start by marking “At the Sound of the Beep” as Want to Read:
At the Sound of the Beep

At the Sound of the Beep

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Mathew and Mathilda Green run away to San Francisco and take refuge in Golden Gate Park. But no one is safe in this haven for the homeless, because someone is murdering the people who call it home. And unknowingly, Mathew and Mathilda are being drawn into the world of the killer.
Published May 1st 1991 by Puffin Books (first published April 19th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about At the Sound of the Beep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Sound of the Beep

Nessa
I can't believe I read this book! (First of all, the two main characters, Mathew and Matilda, are total Gary/Mary Sues! There is nothing wrong with the two of them.) Their parents are getting a divorce, so in order to stop the divorce the twins run away to their uncle (who dislikes their parents). I was able to forgive their running away but then, while they're camping out in Golden Gate Park...they buy toys to entertain themselves while they wait for their uncle! These toys have no point to the ...more
Xavier Sim
Have you ever wondered what will happen if a murder is in your hometown.
The story is about to twins, and their parents are splitting up, and as they finally come out of desperation, and started to make new friends in Golden Gate Park. The twins founded a place they could call home, but they can’t stay there forever, especially when now people are getting murdered.

One thing I liked about this book is that even when their parents are splitting up the two twins still want to be with each other, t
Emyrose8
This book was a lot different than I was anticipating. While I was reading it, I definitely didn't picture the twins as 13 year olds (more like 5th graders). There wasn't a whole lot of focus on the mystery aspect (who's murdering the homeless people). The focus was on how the twins survive on their own in the park while waiting for their uncle to get home. Like others have said, the ending is a little disappointing. After a final, suspenseful scene (that is also a bit confusing), the next chapt ...more
Amanda Lyons
Nikki liked it ok but I have to say the parents probably shouldn't have had kids because they're terrible parents. The kids aren't always too bright and the villain has almost no basis for her crimes. Mostly an oddball YA book with none of the charm.
Hannah Elizabeth Kane
Hannah Elizabeth Kane marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Dawn
Dawn added it
Mar 07, 2014
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2012
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2012