Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning French” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning French

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning French

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This third edition of the backlist staple is packed with exercises, activities, and cultural tidbits-providing enough information to start speaking a little French in just a few days, or to deepen one's understanding and fluency.

Idiot-proof techniques to master pronunciation, grammar, and usage
Offers a lively and up-to-date vocabulary, without that stilted textbook to
Paperback, 3rd Edition, 464 pages
Published May 6th 2003 by Alpha (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning French, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning French

Cass
This is an idiot's guide, it is not a textbook or a Pimsleur course or a phrasebook... But it kind of tries to be something in the middle of all three.

I definitely learnt things from the book, but not as much as I had hoped, and it felt a bit all over the place (though this is a style that idiot's guides tend to use).

It was good, if I saw a second hand copy I would buy it for my reference shelf, but I wouldn't spend money on a new copy.
Sandra
I wish I would have had this book a few months ago when my nephew decided to take French and then brought his homework over to me since I took French in college in the early 1990's.

Est-ce que je peux vous aider? (May I help you?)
This book might be the helper that you need to fake it until you make it in French.

Aye Aye Sanda Htun
helpful for me in learning french.
Gracie
I decided to learn french, although I have no idea why. This book has been really helpful in explaining everything and does an excellent job of spelling everything out phonetically! I have come to appreciate it very much.
Chris
Nice way to get a quick summary of French. It must have done something, because I can now understand some basic conversation stuff and the majority of what I've read in passing.
AF
Aug 23, 2009 AF marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
leafed through the 4th ed from library--will require more free time to commit to this as it seems a worthy tool!
Mike
Dec 15, 2009 Mike marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good basics, but I didn't like how it just ignored the rules and grammar until halfway through.
Nurshafiqa
clear and pretty much helpful, i just can't get myself to read the whole book word for word though!

3 stars.
Linda
Trying to brush up on my high school French before my trip this fall -- so far, it's been helpful.
Tiara
Tiara added it
Apr 02, 2015
Tsha YI
Tsha YI is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
Elisha
Elisha marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Ahmad Azzouni
Ahmad Azzouni marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Heather Cotton
Heather Cotton marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Shania Jong
Shania Jong marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Shiloh
Shiloh added it
Sep 17, 2014
Anri
Anri marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Shelley Dockery
Shelley Dockery marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Ulina
Ulina marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning Spanish Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning French on Your Own The Complete Idiot's Guide To Learning Spanish On Your Own Countdown to Spanish: Learn to Communicate in 24 Hours Intermediate Spanish for Dummies