Start by marking “Writing from Personal Experience: How to Turn Your Life Into Salable Prose” as Want to Read:
Writing from Personal Experience: How to Turn Your Life Into Salable Prose

Writing from Personal Experience: How to Turn Your Life Into Salable Prose

A compassionate, entertaining and instructive guide for "telling your story".More than just a how-to reference, Kelton has weaved an inspiring, engaging read with invaluable instruction on how to turn personal experiences into salable prose.
-- nuts-and-bolts instruction
-- 39 sections organized into two parts: "Getting It Down" -- writing -- and "Getting It Out" -- submitti
Published March 15th 1997 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about Writing from Personal Experience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing from Personal Experience

Linda
Jul 17, 2007 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took a writing workshop with this author on this subject matter, and ironically, it was during the most difficult period of my life (unforeseen and unexpected loss of a loved one). I didn't plan it this way (I had signed up for the class long before the tragedy), but I decided to show up anyway -- it was absolutely an incredible experience for me. I was able to get a lot of emotion down on paper. The overall tone of this book is very conversational, which is perfect for the subject; you immedi ...more
Alexis
Read because I'm teaching a journalism/ creative non-fiction class to teens. There were some good exercises and ideas in this book, but a lot of them were applicable to beginning adult writers (not me) and a lot of the exercises would work a lot better for older people.

Still, it might be worthwhile for a beginning adult writer, and I did take some notes from it.
Jessica
Oct 31, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: about-writing
Another great reference book for first-time authors. It's full of tips for creative inspiration but mainly focusses on developing the art, craft and habits of writers. The author is an experience workshop giver and this book is a compliation of all she's learnt from dealing with students of the craft. I found some useful tips on character development.
Jaclyn
Aug 02, 2014 Jaclyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great advice and exercises for beginning writers or those just diving into personal essays. Even though I'm not just starting out, I still found a lot of good ideas and inspiration. A worthwhile read for anyone looking to get serious about personal essays.
Kellyanne Lynch
Mar 01, 2014 Kellyanne Lynch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My aunt gave me this book. It's an inspirational read, and I've referred to it often.
Faith
May 24, 2009 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very helpful especially to a beginner writer. This book provides exercises and assignments and is very helpful to a writer's career.
Megan
With (above)
May 31, 1999
Malena
Malena rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2015
Mary Alice
Mary Alice rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2008
Carole
Carole rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Rhonda Harris
Rhonda Harris rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2017
Liz Mourant
Liz Mourant rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2010
Marlene Harding
Marlene Harding rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2009
Andrea Brill
Andrea Brill rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2017
Nicole Vaeth
Nicole Vaeth rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Susi Moore
Susi Moore rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Egyirba
Egyirba rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2008
Robert Iulo
Robert Iulo rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2014
Rachel Terry
Rachel Terry rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2008
Saira
Saira rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2008
Silverspringsrr
Silverspringsrr rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2009
Ó Ruairc
Ó Ruairc rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2010
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Bruce Luyendyk
Bruce Luyendyk rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Laura Vollmer
Laura Vollmer rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2012