Start by marking “Dangerous Women 1” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Women 1

Dangerous Women 1 (Dangerous Women #1)

Commissioned by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, these tales of dangerous women by the most stellar names in fiction are available for the first time in a three-volume paperback. All stories were first published in December 2013 Dangerous Women anthology.

Dangerous Women Vol. 1 features an original 35,000 word novella by George R.R. Martin.'The Princess and the Queen'
Mass Market Paperback, 402 pages
Published September 30th 2014 by Tor Books (first published September 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Women 1, please sign up.

Vincent Van Dyck pretty much, yes. The three books also each have the same foreword as the all in one version, repeated three times (I'm only typing this here because…morepretty much, yes. The three books also each have the same foreword as the all in one version, repeated three times (I'm only typing this here because goodreads didn't accept my answer for being to short)(less)

Nikki
I expected this to have more fantasy stories in it, given Martin’s involvement, the cover, everything I’d heard about it. But nope, four of the seven stories in this volume aren’t fantasy — even one I thought would be, since I know the author’s fantasy work.

‘The Princess and the Queen’, by George R.R. Martin — Reads like a summary of a story he couldn’t be bothered to write, heavily cribbed from English civil wars. I ended up skipping it, since I’m not actually a Martin fan and haven’t read A So
Riju Ganguly
Apr 27, 2015 Riju Ganguly rated it did not like it
The two famous persons editing this volume must have gone either senile or have become so rich peddling their ware that they consider purest trash as stuff fit to be dumped upon us. Let me go story-by-story.
1. "Raisa Stepanova" by Carrie Vaughn: This story should have been included in those collections that are brought out to help war-veterans. It's good, emotional, historical, and has women facing dangers that are ephmeral. Every day, almost every women, face the adversities in a more stoic and
Tim
Short stories are good for in-between, when you don't want to read a full-blown novel, or don't know which novel to read next, or just want something quick. To ease your mind, for example.

I had acquired the other two books last months, and for reasons of completion, I recently bought the first one, too. One never knows if there are new/unknown authors whose works will be pleasant to read.

Gardner R. Dozois and George R.R. Martin combined their efforts to compile this anthology (and the other two)
Susie
Overall rating: ★★★☆☆ - Sort of liked/OK. Each story is reviewed individually below.

1/7: Raisa Stepanova by Carrie Vaughn
★★★☆☆ - Sort of liked/OK

This first story has an interesting subject, one I don't actually know that much about - Russian women working as fighter pilots during WWII. The trouble is, the author's writing style let her down somewhat. It was an interesting and engaging story overall, with interesting characters, but the style of writing seemed too immature/simplistic for me. Ye
Arun Divakar
Aug 03, 2015 Arun Divakar rated it liked it
The term dangerous in the context of this book requires a bit of explanation. I had this rough estimate that this would be a book of short stories that feature women who are altogether dangerous and tough customers to deal with. But then as I read along, this perception changed and morphed into a different level of understanding. These women are dangerous but they are not exactly objects of danger for others ; some of them are dangerous even to themselves. It is a cliché line to call an antholog ...more
Matt
Feb 06, 2017 Matt rated it liked it
The first subdivision of the Dangerous Women anthology edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois is a mix bag of both story quality and the interpretation of the phrase ‘dangerous women’. In seven stories across genres around the central theme of women who are dangerous, a reader is treated to see women in various ways only but is also forced to figure out if the women presented or alluded to are actually dangerous.

Of the seven stories featured in Dangerous Women 1 the three best at presen
Benni
Nov 24, 2014 Benni rated it liked it
Good stories, but the title is meaningless. "Dangerous Women" = any woman with agency, with a couple women who are less characters than objects, conforming to the book's original anticipated title, "Femmes Fatales."

GRRM's own tale is told history-book outline style, with none of the flair that makes me love him so much.
Liz
Nov 28, 2014 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: won-t-re-read
I'll review each of these short stories individually. The theme of the collection is dangerous women and each of the short stories include an intriguing female character, except this one:

Novella: The Princess and the Queen, or, the Blacks and the Greens by George R.R. Martin (ASOIAF)
Rating: 2/5

The only inclusion that I found lackluster was Martin's novella, The Princess and the Queen. I should have paid more attention to the cover before expecting more, it has a quote that says: "Reads like Mart
Heather
Oct 15, 2014 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Am I going to pretend I didn't buy this because of the George R R Martin short story regarding the Dance of the Dragons? Well, no. That's 100% why I was interested, because I need something fill the Game of Thrones void in my life, and so far none of his other work has really resonated.

And for that 35,000 words? Brilliant. The history, the return to the series in an albeit abstract way was well worth it. Then the other stories came along, and well...

Carrie Vaughn's Raisa Stepanova, about female
Sachin Dev
May 19, 2015 Sachin Dev rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-great-reads
This book is worth its weight in gold. And am not just talking about the GRRM's story [ which by the way is a fascinating account of a war much before the current Game of Thrones - equally enthralling and twisted and unpredictable. And hell yes - the Body Count Touches the Stratosphere.]

There are gems in this book ( part-1) which are delightful, frightening and entertaining in equal measures. Except for the story by Nancy Kress, all the other stories were really up to the mark. Obviously the Dr
Sara Dee
This book has a false advertising title. The stories are all good, written well, engaging....but not what I was looking for from this anthology. Only two stories had scifi/fantasy elements.

Well, the Princess and the Queen was a fantastic historical account of the Dance of the Dragons!

FINALLY I can say, yaaaaaay dragons!!!

It read like a straight up historical account....which is probably why I liked it a lot.

What a flooding of names and families. I could see how this story would be insanely overw
Nov 11, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
This book was really all about George R.R. Martin's story. The first six stories ranged from boring to mediocre, but The Princess and the Queen is an epic history in the realm of Westeros. Here we get to see what dragons were like in battle and ponder how the story of the new dragons will play out in ASOIAF.
Mark
Dec 08, 2014 Mark rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, anthology
This collection is less "Dangerous Women" and more "Women in Dangerous Situations".
Nadia Nader
May 20, 2015 Nadia Nader rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story, 2015
Enjoyable collection of short stories. Found two new authors whose books I want to read.
Lela
Jul 20, 2015 Lela rated it it was amazing
The Princess and The Queen rating!!!
Alexander
As this is a collection of short stories, I'll review every story individually, give it an individual rating and then at the end, will say something about the anthology in general. Here we go:

The Princess and the Queen - George R.R. Martin - 3/5
I've never been a big fan of GRRM or A Song of Ice and Fire - mostly because I'm not a fan of GRRM's writing style. Sadly, I had the same sentiment while reading this story, and then some.
Most of my problems with this story were because the author chose t
Diane Holland
Jun 28, 2017 Diane Holland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I don't normally go much for books of short stories but, as this was a birthday present from my son and his wife, I felt obliged to do it some justice - and I'm glad I did. Having said that, I did feel the first story, The Princess and the Queen by George R R Martin, dragged on for too long and I had difficulty keeping up with who was who within the royal family. There were some pretty scary women in these stories, too - especially the last one, "Shadows for Silence in the For ...more
Rachael
Jun 08, 2017 Rachael rated it it was ok
This brought my reading challenge for the year to a grinding halt as I struggled to get through this. When I picked this up, I wanted to read about badass women, not whatever this was.

The only two short stories in this that redeemed it for me a little was "My Heart is Either Broken" by Megan Abbott and "Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell" by Brandon Sanderson, however only the short by Sanderson really counted as"Dangerous Women" to me.

Some of the shorts in there shouldn't have been, a
Karen
Jul 08, 2017 Karen rated it liked it
Read the first four last year, and then the last three this year. The shorter stories were great! I'm not a big fan of George R.R.Martin's writing style though, so the last one took FOREVER!

Raisa Stepanova - Woman pilot in war
I Know How to Pick 'Em - Will he kill for her ?
Neighbors - getting old ?
Wrestling Jesus - aging wrestler helps young kid being beaten
My Heart is Either Broken - missing child ?
Nora's Song - Eleanor of Aquitaine's daughter
The Princess and the Queen - black and green and
Wizya
Mar 12, 2017 Wizya rated it it was amazing
my God if this part of the series was adapted to cinema it would be insane. just when you thought the world of GOT was big enough, you are introduced to something even greater. once you have read this and the hedge night series everything just comes together, you actually get to understand what some of the characters are talking about , when they speak of the past kings and queens.
Rebecca Greenway
For a book called dangerous women there were very few women in it. The princess and the Queen was very good, if a little confusing with all the names. I enjoyed second Arabesque. My favorite was shadows for silence in the forest.
Anastasia Guiler
Jun 07, 2017 Anastasia Guiler rated it liked it
I felt that a collection about "Dangerous Women" would be more empowering than it turned out to be. The novella was interesting though.
Sandy
Jun 07, 2017 Sandy rated it liked it
Some pretty good stories but with any anthology of 20 stories it will be a mixed bag.
Zoe
Jan 26, 2017 Zoe rated it it was ok
I have a different edition of this book, with a few stories that are different, but I couldn't find it on Goodreads. Most of the stories were just OK. I really liked the story by Brandon Sanderson, which is in my edition but not the one listed here. I hated the story by George R.R. Martin and gave up on it after several pages.
Sam
Individual Story Ratings:
Desperada - Joe Abercrombie (3/5)
Cocktail explosif - Jim Butcher (2/5)
Catcher Jésus - Joe R. Lansdale (2/5)
Je sais comment les choisir - Lawrence Block (1/5)
Des ombres pour Silence dans les Forêts de l'Enfer - Brandon Sanderson (5/5) ♥
La fille du miroir - Lev Grossman (3/5)
Annoncer la sentence - S.M. Stirling (3/5)
Nommer la bête - Sam Sykes (2/5)
La Princesse et la Reine, ou Les Noirs et les Verts - George R.R. Martin (4/5)
Eva
Sep 24, 2015 Eva rated it liked it
I picked up this book from the library thinking it was a collection of stories all about women. It was not. Most of the stories have a male narrator or male protagonist and the women where yes dangerous but I would say more... Nasty or bat shit crazy than anything else.

But since they were different stories from different authors I think I should do a very short review for each one of them.

The collection of stories (part 1) was a different version of the one shown in the picture above and it cont
Linette S.R
Oct 04, 2015 Linette S.R rated it liked it
No, I have not read it yet. Just the Princess and the Queen story, which is the only reason why I bought the book in the first place.
The Dance of the Dragons, baby!
It seems everything has to start with death, right? Every prologue POV dude dies by the end of the chapter in all 5 ASOIAF books (so do the epilogue POVs, but, duh, who cares?). The Hedge Knight starts off with Dunk digging a grave. And now that, King Viserys is dead. A small counsil is held, with the queen, Alicent Hightower, and the
Ibn 'Ali
Feb 26, 2017 Ibn 'Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best $2.7 I ever spent.
Lorien Conti
Dec 20, 2016 Lorien Conti is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The Princess and the Queen or The blacks and the greens, George R R Martin

I did not particularly enjoy this short story. I think it is really a long story that's been summarised, lt felt more like reading a history book than a work of fiction and didn't hold my interest. I give this story 1 star.

Raisa Stepanova by Carrie Vaughan

This was not a story that I was expecting in this book if honest, it's a war story from WW2, told from the point of view of a woman Russian fighter pilot! Readable enough
Beth Cato
Jul 05, 2015 Beth Cato rated it it was ok
I received this at World Fantasy Con last November. I had high expectations because of the authors involved, but it ended up being a disappointment. I expected the stories to be more speculative, but most were literary and focused on the same types of females: femme fatales or just plain downright unlikeable women. The lack of complexity there was... dismaying. I'll break down my comments to address each novella.

“Raisa Stepanova” by Carrie Vaughn
I love Vaughn's Kitty series and was excited to se
The Challenge Fac...: Angie & Sandy - Dangerous Women 1 17 14 Oct 18, 2015 11:14AM
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Second Annual Collection
  • Blink of an Eye
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Fantasy
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • Love Songs For the Shy and Cynical
  • Grave Suspicion
  • Elemental: The Tsunami  Relief Anthology: Stories of Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Dead Man's Hand: An Anthology of the Weird West
  • Highwaymen: Robbers and Rogues
  • The Lucky Strike
  • Grants Pass
  • Sábado à Noite
  • Two Hundred and Twenty-One Baker Streets: An Anthology of Holmesian Tales Across Time and Space
  • Rome: The Coming of the King (Rome, #2)
  • The Toadhouse Trilogy (Book #1)
  • Renegade (The Insurrection Trilogy, #2)
  • It Came from the North: An Anthology of Finnish Speculative Fiction
  • Napoleon: The Song of Departure (Napoleon, #1)
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...

Dangerous Women (3 books)
  • Dangerous Women 2