Start by marking “Dangerous Women 1” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Women 1

Dangerous Women 1 (Dangerous Women #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Commissioned by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, these tales of dangerous women by the most stellar names in fiction are available for the first time in a three-volume paperback. All stories were first published in December 2013 Dangerous Women anthology.

Dangerous Women Vol. 1 features an original 35,000 word novella by George R.R. Martin.'The Princess and the Queen'
Mass Market Paperback, 402 pages
Published September 30th 2014 by Tor Books (first published September 25th 2014)

Susie
Overall rating: - Sort of liked/OK. Each story is reviewed individually below.

1/7: Raisa Stepanova by Carrie Vaughn
- Sort of liked/OK

This first story has an interesting subject, one I don't actually know that much about - Russian women working as fighter pilots during WWII. The trouble is, the author's writing style let her down somewhat. It was an interesting and engaging story overall, with interesting characters, but the style of writing seemed too immature/simplistic for me. Yes, it broa
Riju Ganguly
The two famous persons editing this volume must have gone either senile or have become so rich peddling their ware that they consider purest trash as stuff fit to be dumped upon us. Let me go story-by-story.
1. "Raisa Stepanova" by Carrie Vaughn: This story should have been included in those collections that are brought out to help war-veterans. It's good, emotional, historical, and has women facing dangers that are ephmeral. Every day, almost every women, face the adversities in a more stoic and
Benni
Good stories, but the title is meaningless. "Dangerous Women" = any woman with agency, with a couple women who are less characters than objects, conforming to the book's original anticipated title, "Femmes Fatales."

GRRM's own tale is told history-book outline style, with none of the flair that makes me love him so much.
Heather
Am I going to pretend I didn't buy this because of the George R R Martin short story regarding the Dance of the Dragons? Well, no. That's 100% why I was interested, because I need something fill the Game of Thrones void in my life, and so far none of his other work has really resonated.

And for that 35,000 words? Brilliant. The history, the return to the series in an albeit abstract way was well worth it. Then the other stories came along, and well...

Carrie Vaughn's Raisa Stepanova, about female
Liz
I'll review each of these short stories individually. The theme of the collection is dangerous women and each of the short stories include an intriguing female character, except this one:

Novella: The Princess and the Queen, or, the Blacks and the Greens by George R.R. Martin (ASOIAF)
Rating: 2/5

The only inclusion that I found lackluster was Martin's novella, The Princess and the Queen. I should have paid more attention to the cover before expecting more, it has a quote that says: "Reads like Mart
Sara Dee
This book has a false advertising title. The stories are all good, written well, engaging....but not what I was looking for from this anthology. Only two stories had scifi/fantasy elements.

Well, the Princess and the Queen was a fantastic historical account of the Dance of the Dragons!

FINALLY I can say, yaaaaaay dragons!!!

It read like a straight up historical account....which is probably why I liked it a lot.

What a flooding of names and families. I could see how this story would be insanely overw
This book was really all about George R.R. Martin's story. The first six stories ranged from boring to mediocre, but The Princess and the Queen is an epic history in the realm of Westeros. Here we get to see what dragons were like in battle and ponder how the story of the new dragons will play out in ASOIAF.
Helen
This was originally one third of a book of the same title, now broken up & published as three. It is difficult to categorise other than as short stories because the range of genres is so great. The longest piece is George RR Martin's The Princess and the Queen which is a novella that could serve as a prologue to "A Game of Thrones". It unfortunately is written as a history of the time, the narrator occasionally self refers as 'scribe', and it reads like history with the people rarely appeari ...more
Velika
I got this as present for my birthday and was really excited, mostly because of Martin's story. I have to say that his story was a complete disappointment to me: it was really dry and hard to read, so many names and tooo much, too much information. Thank God there were dragons to make me feel better.
The other stories were really great - I found it really interessting to read about strong women from a women and men's point of view. Most of the stories had great details and writing so I really enj
Sam Tindal
Theresa Ramp
This book is not what I was expecting. The stories (some of which are good, others not as good) are not about "dangerous women". I felt mislead, and confused while reading most of them. That being said the George RR Martin story was quite good, and even fit into my expectations of a dangerous woman story. It was a prequel to the Game of Thrones world, and went in to greater detail about the Targarian history. That alone made it a worthwhile read.
Robert
Kind of bummed that this anthology was broken into three paper backs. Lindholm's and Martin's stories are what got me to pick up this copy, but I recommend find a bargain or e-copy of the hardcover for nearly the same price. Lindholm's story was worth it, but Martin's was very dry. It was written in the vein of "The World of..." book that just came out. More of a history than an actual story.
Rebecca
A letter grade above the stories in Book II. A couple were truly moving, and very few were ridiculous (unlike Book II). The exception is Martin's story. The exception is Martin's story. WOW did HBO do him a solid. Because...yeah. The reviewer who said it reads like an outline for a prequel he decided not to publish is being kind. Though it does read like an outline. That part is right...
Simon Curling
Read this book mainly for the George R. R. Martin westeros story which was good - though a slightly different tone to the story telling. The other good story was by Brandon Sanderson - good ideas and good story. The other stories didn't really live up to the main premise of the anthology and were either slightly disappointing or just a downright waste of time.
Meiska
I loved all of the stories here. It's advertised with George R.R. Martin's name attached to it and his story is worth reading for fans of Ice and Fire, however, the other stories hold their own quite well. Nora's Song being the weakest in my opinion.
Anne-claire
I wasn't impressed by George RR Martin's story as it did seem like an un-edited outline, or stream of consciousness rather than a properly edited story. Some of the other stories were good though, in particular one about female fighter pilots in Russia during WW2 and Brandon Sanderson's story right at the end was fairly interesting.

I found myself being lazy with this book, which is never a good sign. it took me a lot longer to read than I anticipated and I think that's purely because I wasn't i
Dana Jade Andrews
Different opinions for different stories. I loved the first two - the George R.R. Martin one and the Russian fighter pilot one, then the apocalyptic ballerina one was alright, but after that I wasn't nearly as interested in those stories. Quite few I found dull and as a whole it didn't quite reach its potential. Although, it is a myriad of different authors, so there you go. Still, the fighter pilot one is BRILLIANT.
Chanika
A collection of short stories with topics all over the map. Some good some not so good. I like how most of the stories pretrade the woman has the hero.
Cheryl Tarver
Has some very good stories, mostly mediocre ones. You're really reading it for the George RR Martin short story which is excellent.
Trevor Woodhouse
A great collection of stories. Each one a page turner. Picked it up for The Princess and the Queen, which was amazing and a wonderful slice of Westeros history, and loved the entire book. Awesome read.
A
A gem, indeed. A delightful and inspiring potpourri of stories about women of substance and grit. Highly recommended!
Elizabeth
I was not impressed - but I'm more of a hard sci-fi lover. The co-editor's annual sci-fi anthologies are far superior.
Caitlin

My heart is either broken - 3/5

Wrestling Jesus 3/5

Shadows for Silence 5/5
Brinkley
I gave it four stars for GRRM's novella "The Princess and the Queen." Three and a half stars for the remainder of the collection.
Elizabeth
Mostly good with a few stories that were a little too obtuse.
Debbie
I got this got the Game of Thrones story but I stayed for great stories like 'my heart is either broken' and 'wrestling Jesus.' These were the two stand outs for me. In fact the George R R Martin one was one of my least favourites. Simply because it seemed that it was held at arms length. Like a news item story. It lacked the 'being right in it' feel of the books with their POV chapters. I would recommend this book though. Even my least favourite stories were great.
Mark
This collection is less "Dangerous Women" and more "Women in Dangerous Situations".
Dominic Forbes
Couple of good stories in this. Some filler. Anthologies are like that. Splitting the HB into 3 paperback books is a bit excessive though, hope will be going into promotion.
Michele Taylor
I bought the anthology solely for the GOT story from George RR Martin. Loved it and didn't bother with the rest of the stories. I recently picked it back up because I am in a book drought. All of the stories were pretty good! Dark and twisted. I definitely recommend!
Lauren Jones
I really enjoyed the different stories, but I just couldn't get into George's. Maybe because I've read his Song of Ice & Fire books, I already knew that story and reading this side story just didn't interest me.
  • Elemental: The Tsunami  Relief Anthology: Stories of Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • It Came from the North: An Anthology of Finnish Speculative Fiction
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Fantasy
  • Grants Pass
  • Two Hundred and Twenty-One Baker Streets: An Anthology of Holmesian Tales Across Time and Space
  • Highwaymen: Robbers and Rogues
  • Love Songs For the Shy and Cynical
  • Sirens and Other Daemon Lovers: Magical Tales of Love and Seduction
  • Discworld Diary 2015: We R Igors: First and Last Aid
  • Legends II: Dragon, Sword and King
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination: Original Short Fiction for the Modern Evil Genius
  • The Casebook of Newbury & Hobbes (Newbury and Hobbes)
  • Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy
  • Elemental Magic (Includes: Moon, #6.5)
  • The Devil's Diadem
  • And Less Than Kind (Doubled Edge, #4)
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...

Dangerous Women (3 books)
  • Dangerous Women 2
  • Dangerous Women 3
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)