Start by marking “An Introduction to the New Testament” as Want to Read:
An Introduction to the New Testament

An Introduction to the New Testament

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  1,652 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
An Introduction to the New Testament focuses on 'special introduction' that is historical questions dealing with authorship, date, sources, purpose, destination, and so forth. This approach stands in contrast to recent texts that concentrate more on literary form, rhetorical criticism, and historical parallels---topics the authors don t minimize, but instead think are bett ...more
Published August 29th 2005 by Zondervan (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about An Introduction to the New Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Introduction to the New Testament

Paul Bryant
Feb 09, 2016 Paul Bryant marked it as assorted-rants-about-stuff  ·  review of another edition
This is a non-review but I felt i had to share with you all, forgive me - I just noticed this on IMDB. They have entries for characters in movies. So for Jesus they have this brilliant entry. As we know, in the New Testament Jesus is given different titles - Son of Man, Son of God, King of the Jews (the last one ironically). But IMDB have a whole lot more. Under "Jesus" they have

Alternate Names:

Our Lord
Super Mecha Death Christ
The M
Craig Prather
Great resource material for both theology students, and New Testament scholars. Carson and Moo do a great job of presenting various arguments as to the authorship, provenance, and dating of these Biblical books.
Josue Guzman
Oct 22, 2013 Josue Guzman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro me enseñó que entre más sabemos menos dogmáticos somos. Hay tanto que no conocemos del Nuevo Testamento que bien hariamos en reconocer la providencia de Dios en la formación del Canon y Su maravillosa preservación en nuestras traducciones.
Peter
Jul 02, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book on the authors, intents, etc material of the books of the New Testament. Carson and Moo is a little newer, therefore, some newer information and insights.
Philip Dampier
Nov 23, 2016 Philip Dampier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Excellent work from a conservative scholar. I used it in a Master's level theology course and found it extremely helpful. If you need a general reference to the New Testament this the best of the five I have so I give it a good thumbs up.
Bauer Evans
An excellent introduction to each of the books in the New Testament. A must read for church leaders and church members!
Bret James Stewart
This is a survey book of the New Testament canon. There is an overall introduction to the New Testament, and the remainder of the text is focused upon the individual books of the Bible. Carson and Moo are both well-respected academics and scholars in their fields, so one rightly expects this to be a good textbook.

The book is sturdy hardcover, which I really like, both for longevity and the ability to leave the text open without damaging the spine, which is helpful for study and ease of use. The
Tung
Jun 29, 2012 Tung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carson and Moo are accomplished Bible scholars (especially in New Testament), and it shows in this book. This book is a solid example of a useful college textbook. The book walks through every book in the New Testament and summarizes the major points in each book’s chapter; provides information on the book’s author, date written, and (theorized) place written; discusses each book’s canonization history; and outlines historical and contemporary lines of thought about each book. It’s a very thorou ...more
Brendan
A great introduction to each book in the new testament canon. When I say introduction, I don't mean easy, nor do I mean foundational, but rather "introductory" to some of the behind the scenes elements of Scripture.

For instance, one of the things that Carson and Moo do extremely well is divide the sections of each book into their date, provenance (origin), authorship, and it's acceptance into the canon, as well as providing some really solid defense of the attacks from critical scholarship.

If y
Ben
Jul 17, 2010 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll point out at the outset that I have not read this in its entirety... I still have to go through the portions on the Gospels. I have read the majority, though, and can adequately comment on the book.

The spectacular part of this book is the way the authors have condensed massive amounts of scholarship into brief and easy to follow articles on each of the books of the NT. It is geared toward upper level Bible students, but is by no means written in a way that is inaccessible from the average r
Liam Perrin
Mar 29, 2013 Liam Perrin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the abridged version of this book. Carson and Moo are concise and clear. Controversies over authorship and structure (e.g. Revelation) are outlined but not belabored. A traditional approach is favored but not without explanation.

I found the chart in Chapter 9 listing a probable timeline for the writing of the NT texts particularly helpful. The chart, coupled with comments throughout the book as to why we might date books one way or another is invaluable to anyone interested in the histori
Mike Quint
Oct 23, 2016 Mike Quint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a more rigorous, detailed introduction to the New Testament. However, Moo and Carson lay out the most important orienting information for each book of the New Testament and give strengths and weaknesses for each interpretive strategy that they discuss. Although I would recommend this book to someone with little theological and biblical training, it is an invaluable resource for pastors, seminarians (it was my NT survey textbook at Gordon-Conwell), and anyone who wants to under ...more
Missie Kay
Jul 13, 2011 Missie Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
If you are really into literary-historical-criticism, you'll love this book. So much information about every single theory (even those that are now discredited) about authorship, date, and provenance of every New Testament book. Frankly, every page was a struggle for me. I would much rather have an in-depth book on theology, because at least that's about what we have, not about how it got that way. And I'd love a lot more historical background, as in what was happening at the time the books were ...more
Brent McCulley
Nov 25, 2014 Brent McCulley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nt-studies
An excellent handbook on the introduction to the New Testament, D.A. Carson and Moo offer a systematic and overwhelmingly scholarly work that does a fantastic job at looking at the scholarly opinions, both past and present, on the New Testament books of the Bible. If anyone is looking for a way to increase their knowledge of the background and study of the New Testament, get this text and dive headfirst into the scholarly work. I have benefited so much from this source and will continually use i ...more
Doug
Oct 12, 2010 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of this type I've read, so I don't have much to compare it to. It's actually used as a textbook, and that's how it's written. Lots of information about each book in the New Testament, with discussions of various viewpoints along with the authors' opinion and reasons for it. Conservative in the sense of believing in the historicity and claimed authorship of the books. I'd recommend it for anyone who wants to know more about where the New Testament comes from.
Jacob O'connor
Carson and Moo have written a capable, succinct, and conservative introduction to the New Testament books. I especially appreciate the attention given to authorship. They conclude that each book is written by the traditional author. They offer their brief justifications, which were helpful. I'd say the apostles have home court advantage, and skeptics should have very good reasons before calling foul.
PD
May 12, 2010 PD rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: class, nt-studies
Great introduction. I recommend this book for your reference shelf to help better understand an overview in historical context, purpose, occasion, and other important background information relating to the NT books. The book does a great job of respectfully and competently handling current scholarship, while making strong arguments for their decisions. If anything, the book is valuable for the bibliographies at the end of each chapter.

Grant Robertson
Nov 02, 2013 Grant Robertson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reference. Carson and Moo spend a lot of time discussing historical criticism. If you are studying, or have studied, at a public university, Introduction to the New Testament by Carson and Moo will provide objections to objections posed by modern biblical scholarship without being reactionary or anti-intellectual.
Dennis Podryadchikov
A professional introduction in scholarly study of the New Testament for first-year seminary students. Any reader would find insightful information about every New Testament book such as author, date, etc. Paired with L.T. Johnson's Writings of the New Testament this book provides a good starting place for a student of the New Testament.
Ki Goff
Jul 09, 2010 Ki Goff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is dense with pure information. If you have questions about the New Testament, and you want a fairly complete perspective and address of the issues, I would recommend this one. You get it all, and you get it thoroughly. You will also get a headache, because neither the writing, nor the information flow will give you a break.
Brian Watson
Dec 28, 2012 Brian Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carson and Moo spend a lot of time with authorship and dating issues, defending traditional/conservative views of those issues against liberal/critical views. It's a useful book for that reason. It would have been nice if they had dealt more with the NT text as it stands, introducing major themes of each book, but that does not seem to have been their intent.
Mac
A solid evangelical introduction to the N.T.
Be aware that this is an introduction rather than a summary. As such it will mostly be concerned with issues of authorship, date, occasion, etc. for the books. It's a book to read or reference at the beginning of a study rather than a guide to take you all the way through one.
Dwight Davis
May 07, 2013 Dwight Davis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't an introduction to the New Testament, it's an introduction to a lot of theories that Carson and Moo don't agree with about the New Testament. Carson and Moo almost never actually take a stance on anything. Nearly every section ends with something along the lines of "In the end we really can't know and it really doesn't matter." Dry, boring, and ultimately unhelpful. Avoid.
Matt Mancini
May 14, 2014 Matt Mancini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid text, dealing with New Testament introductory issues such as Textual Critical matters, provenance, dating, cultural and socio-political context, etc. Serves as both a general and special introduction to the NT.
Jason Frazier
Hard to follow & unnecessarily verbose. It deconstructs everything you know about books in the Bible without leaving coherent information to reconstruct. I loathed reading this book in grad school.
Jonathan
Oct 10, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good more advanced NT introduction.
Robert Murphy
Apr 14, 2014 Robert Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Phenomenal resource. It should always be consulted before any NT project. Wonderful as a reference, terrible to read from cover to cover.
Andy Hickman
Quality resource!

Carson, D, Moo, D. An Introduction to the New Testament. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2005.
Justin
May 15, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit academic. But a great resource, esp if you are regularly interacting with academic scholarship about the NT.
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • An Introduction to the Old Testament
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free
  • Jesus and the Gospels
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • A Theology of the New Testament
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • Greek New Testament
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • New Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and Pastors
  • A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament & Other Early Christian Literature
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • Romans
  • Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • New Testament Introduction
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
D.A. Carson is research professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois. He has been at Trinity since 1978. Carson came to Trinity from the faculty of Northwest Baptist Theological Seminary in Vancouver, British Columbia, where he also served for two years as academic dean. He has served as assistant pastor and pastor and has done itinerant ministry in Cana ...more
More about D.A. Carson...

“The recital is broken up by an outburst of praise (2:14–17), followed by a long section that not only articulates probing perspectives on the nature of Christian ministry but ties this stance to a proper estimate of the tension between inaugurated and futurist eschatology (2:14” 0 likes