Start by marking “An Introduction to the New Testament” as Want to Read:
An Introduction to the New Testament

An Introduction to the New Testament

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,365 ratings  ·  40 reviews
An Introduction to the New Testament focuses on 'special introduction' that is historical questions dealing with authorship, date, sources, purpose, destination, and so forth. This approach stands in contrast to recent texts that concentrate more on literary form, rhetorical criticism, and historical parallels---topics the authors don t minimize, but instead think are bett ...more
Published August 29th 2005 by Zondervan (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about An Introduction to the New Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Introduction to the New Testament

Paul Bryant
Mar 11, 2013 Paul Bryant marked it as to-read-nonfiction  ·  review of another edition
This is a non-review but I felt i had to share with you all, forgive me - I just noticed this on IMDB. They have entries for characters in movies. So for Jesus they have this brilliant entry. As we know, in the New Testament Jesus is given different titles - Son of Man, Son of God, King of the Jews (the last one ironically). But IMDB have a whole lot more. Under "Jesus" they have

Alternate Names:

Our Lord
Super Mecha Death Christ
The M
mark monday
Jul 10, 2013 mark monday marked it as on-the-shelf  ·  review of another edition
Josue Guzman
Este libro me enseñó que entre más sabemos menos dogmáticos somos. Hay tanto que no conocemos del Nuevo Testamento que bien hariamos en reconocer la providencia de Dios en la formación del Canon y Su maravillosa preservación en nuestras traducciones.
Carson and Moo are accomplished Bible scholars (especially in New Testament), and it shows in this book. This book is a solid example of a useful college textbook. The book walks through every book in the New Testament and summarizes the major points in each book’s chapter; provides information on the book’s author, date written, and (theorized) place written; discusses each book’s canonization history; and outlines historical and contemporary lines of thought about each book. It’s a very thorou ...more
A great introduction to each book in the new testament canon. When I say introduction, I don't mean easy, nor do I mean foundational, but rather "introductory" to some of the behind the scenes elements of Scripture.

For instance, one of the things that Carson and Moo do extremely well is divide the sections of each book into their date, provenance (origin), authorship, and it's acceptance into the canon, as well as providing some really solid defense of the attacks from critical scholarship.

If y
A solid evangelical introduction to the N.T.
Be aware that this is an introduction rather than a summary. As such it will mostly be concerned with issues of authorship, date, occasion, etc. for the books. It's a book to read or reference at the beginning of a study rather than a guide to take you all the way through one.
Liam Perrin
I read the abridged version of this book. Carson and Moo are concise and clear. Controversies over authorship and structure (e.g. Revelation) are outlined but not belabored. A traditional approach is favored but not without explanation.

I found the chart in Chapter 9 listing a probable timeline for the writing of the NT texts particularly helpful. The chart, coupled with comments throughout the book as to why we might date books one way or another is invaluable to anyone interested in the histori
Matt Mancini
Solid text, dealing with New Testament introductory issues such as Textual Critical matters, provenance, dating, cultural and socio-political context, etc. Serves as both a general and special introduction to the NT.
I'll point out at the outset that I have not read this in its entirety... I still have to go through the portions on the Gospels. I have read the majority, though, and can adequately comment on the book.

The spectacular part of this book is the way the authors have condensed massive amounts of scholarship into brief and easy to follow articles on each of the books of the NT. It is geared toward upper level Bible students, but is by no means written in a way that is inaccessible from the average r
Andy Hickman
Quality resource!

Carson, D, Moo, D. An Introduction to the New Testament. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2005.
A bit academic. But a great resource, esp if you are regularly interacting with academic scholarship about the NT.
Jacob Ugljesa
Fantastic Intro to every book of the New Testament with great bibliographies.
Jeffrey Backlin
"Read" is a strong word, throughly skimmed would be better. A good reference.
This was a great guide through the books of the new testament.
Missie Kay The Book Fix
If you are really into literary-historical-criticism, you'll love this book. So much information about every single theory (even those that are now discredited) about authorship, date, and provenance of every New Testament book. Frankly, every page was a struggle for me. I would much rather have an in-depth book on theology, because at least that's about what we have, not about how it got that way. And I'd love a lot more historical background, as in what was happening at the time the books were ...more
Brent McCulley
An excellent handbook on the introduction to the New Testament, D.A. Carson and Moo offer a systematic and overwhelmingly scholarly work that does a fantastic job at looking at the scholarly opinions, both past and present, on the New Testament books of the Bible. If anyone is looking for a way to increase their knowledge of the background and study of the New Testament, get this text and dive headfirst into the scholarly work. I have benefited so much from this source and will continually use i ...more
Super, comprehensive, useful resource.
This is the first book of this type I've read, so I don't have much to compare it to. It's actually used as a textbook, and that's how it's written. Lots of information about each book in the New Testament, with discussions of various viewpoints along with the authors' opinion and reasons for it. Conservative in the sense of believing in the historicity and claimed authorship of the books. I'd recommend it for anyone who wants to know more about where the New Testament comes from.
Great introduction. I recommend this book for your reference shelf to help better understand an overview in historical context, purpose, occasion, and other important background information relating to the NT books. The book does a great job of respectfully and competently handling current scholarship, while making strong arguments for their decisions. If anything, the book is valuable for the bibliographies at the end of each chapter.

Jacob O'connor
Carson and Moo have written a capable, succinct, and conservative introduction to the New Testament books. I especially appreciate the attention given to authorship. They conclude that each book is written by the traditional author. They offer their brief justifications, which were helpful. I'd say the apostles have home court advantage, and skeptics should have very good reasons before calling foul.
Dwight Davis
This isn't an introduction to the New Testament, it's an introduction to a lot of theories that Carson and Moo don't agree with about the New Testament. Carson and Moo almost never actually take a stance on anything. Nearly every section ends with something along the lines of "In the end we really can't know and it really doesn't matter." Dry, boring, and ultimately unhelpful. Avoid.
Brian Watson
Carson and Moo spend a lot of time with authorship and dating issues, defending traditional/conservative views of those issues against liberal/critical views. It's a useful book for that reason. It would have been nice if they had dealt more with the NT text as it stands, introducing major themes of each book, but that does not seem to have been their intent.
This book is dense with pure information. If you have questions about the New Testament, and you want a fairly complete perspective and address of the issues, I would recommend this one. You get it all, and you get it thoroughly. You will also get a headache, because neither the writing, nor the information flow will give you a break.
Grant Robertson
Great reference. Carson and Moo spend a lot of time discussing historical criticism. If you are studying, or have studied, at a public university, Introduction to the New Testament by Carson and Moo will provide objections to objections posed by modern biblical scholarship without being reactionary or anti-intellectual.
Jason Frazier
Hard to follow & unnecessarily verbose. It deconstructs everything you know about books in the Bible without leaving coherent information to reconstruct. I loathed reading this book in grad school.
Another good book on the authors, intents, etc material of the books of the New Testament. Carson and Moo is a little newer, therefore, some newer information and insights.
Angie Giancola
Good basic overview of each book of the NT. Helpful for background information on major topics like authorship, date, province, text, and the current impact on research.
Danny Bennett
It's definitely purely and introduction, doesn't get to deep into the books or characters, but just gives a general outline. It's easy to read.
Bryan McWhite
This is now a standard text in the New Testament. It sits as a desk reference in my study. An invaluable contribution from Carson and Moo.
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • An Introduction to the Old Testament
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • Jesus and the Gospels
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • The Book of the Acts, Revised
  • A Theology of the New Testament
  • Greek New Testament
  • A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament & Other Early Christian Literature
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • New Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and Pastors
  • Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
  • Romans
  • Paul: An Outline of His Theology
D.A. Carson is research professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois. He has been at Trinity since 1978. Carson came to Trinity from the faculty of Northwest Baptist Theological Seminary in Vancouver, British Columbia, where he also served for two years as academic dean. He has served as assistant pastor and pastor and has done itinerant ministry in Cana ...more
More about D.A. Carson...
Exegetical Fallacies The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians

“The recital is broken up by an outburst of praise (2:14–17), followed by a long section that not only articulates probing perspectives on the nature of Christian ministry but ties this stance to a proper estimate of the tension between inaugurated and futurist eschatology (2:14” 0 likes