Start by marking “The Survival of Jan Little” as Want to Read:
The Survival of Jan Little

The Survival of Jan Little

Jan Little, deaf and nearly blind, lived with her daughter and husband deep in the Amazon jungle, until they died from a strange tropical disease. Then Jan was left alone to survive in the dangerous jungle. An inspiring story.
Published March 1st 1988 by Penguin Books (first published October 30th 1986)

Noreen
Oct 26, 2007 Noreen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: nonfiction
The true account of a deaf/blind woman, who in the 1950's is a single mother of a 3-year-old daughter, has a dream of establishing a homestead in the jungles of Mexico and Brazil. She meets a man who helps fulfill her dream, but the price is one of adventure and psychological torment. A compelling read.
Sjoen
Oct 13, 2007 Sjoen rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this down! It's the true story of a woman who homesteaded with her husband in the backcountry jungle, then survived alone after her family all died off. Truth is once again shown to be stranger than fiction.
Bennet
Mar 06, 2011 Bennet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: explores

Stephen King could have written this one. Oh my god this poor, dear, brave woman, who was just doing what so many women of her generation did, which was stand by her man. What starts out as a potentially brilliant exploration of the Amazon degenerates into nightmare, when Jan Little's apparently qualified husband proves to be little more than a delusional tyrant not up to the task. Jan, a mousy sort beset by actual tunnel vision (what a metaphor!) and partial deafness, becomes solely responsible
Barbara Spencer
Mar 21, 2012 Barbara Spencer rated it it was amazing
"The Survival of Jan Little" by John Man is one of my favorite books of all time. I read it at least once a year. It's about an American woman and her daughter in Brazil, who with her new husband goes to homestead on the Amazon river. What makes it so compelling is the woman is blind.
Her husband is very controlling and they all get into horrible circumstances. There is humor, horror, sadness, and is a page turner. It is one of those books that you don't want to end; and, it is a true adventure.
Christine Newton
Jul 16, 2010 Christine Newton rated it it was amazing
A woman longing for love meets a needy control freak. A book that electrifies and horrifies by turns. You must read it to beleive it
Penny
Sep 23, 2012 Penny rated it really liked it
A great gem of a book. This woman is amazing and what she endured and survived is absolutely amazing to me.
Mike
Oct 07, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing
A really amazing biography...couldn't put this book down!!!!
Connie Becerra
Apr 03, 2011 Connie Becerra rated it really liked it
A inspiring story of a woman who survived alone in the Amazon jungle.
Very good read.
Marie
Jul 17, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
Very graphic in parts, but a real page turner for me
LInda L
Nov 06, 2016 LInda L rated it it was amazing
A friend who does not read a lot told me about this book. I found a copy and was so enthralled I did not put it down until I finished it. Just Too Too amazing. The survival story of all time.
Norma
Aug 05, 2013 Norma rated it did not like it
I wish there were two different ratings options, one for quality of the book itself, and one for whether we liked it. I did not like this book but it's not because the book was poorly written. Actually, it was so evocative and so emotionally-laden I could barely finish it. I wanted to finish and know how it turned out but it made me feel somewhat sick to my stomach. Very few books impact me that way. (Richard Wright's "Native Son" was another). I read this book (and I did finish it) in the early ...more
Pat
Aug 22, 2009 Pat rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I actually could not finish this book. I found myself getting really stressed and angry with this woman for not seeing through such a demented, twisted sociopath! Probably because this type victimizes so many wounded and vulnerable women who are so emotionally damaged they retreat into denial and find themselves married to a monster. It was scary to me . . .
Alice
Jan 06, 2011 Alice rated it it was ok
It was difficult to read about this woman who for so many years remained in situations where she was treated poorly. Long sections of the book were repetitive with excruciating conversational detail. And why did she keep adopting monkeys who abused her?
Karlene
Aug 15, 2014 Karlene rated it it was ok
Amazing story but the writing of the author is mediocre. Worth reading for the account of Jan Little though.
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Barbara Haas
Barbara Haas rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
Maureenaegan
Maureenaegan rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2013
Rachael C.
Rachael C. rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2012
Naomi Weidner
Naomi Weidner rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2010
Pearlharborliz
Pearlharborliz rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Wandy O
Wandy O rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2011
Mike Silva
Mike Silva rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2009
Benita
Benita rated it liked it
May 11, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Aynsley Anderson
Aynsley Anderson rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Nicola
Aug 05, 2011 Nicola added it
one of the most disturbing and horrific books i have read
Candace
Candace rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
update 5 15 Sep 28, 2014 09:20PM
John Anthony Garnet Man is a British historian and travel writer. His special interests are China, Mongolia and the history of written communication. He takes particular pleasure in combining historical narrative with personal experience.

He studied German and French at Keble College, Oxford, before doing two postgraduate courses, a diploma in the History and Philosophy of Science at Oxford and Mon
More about John Man...