Start by marking “The Squatter and the Don” as Want to Read:
The Squatter and the Don

The Squatter and the Don

2.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  182 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The Squatter and the Don, originally published in San Francisco in 1885, is the first fictional narrative written and published in English from the perspective of the conquered Mexican population that, despite being granted the full rights of citizenship under the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo in 1848, was, by 1860, a subordinated and marginalized national minority.
Published January 31st 1994 by Arte Publico Press (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Squatter and the Don, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Squatter and the Don

Dusty
Sep 04, 2009 Dusty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dusty by: John Gonzalez
The first novel composed in English by a Mexican-American writer, The Squatter and the Don is to the Chicano/a literary movement a magisterial accomplishment, a must-read historical fiction about the blue-eyed Mexican aristocratic families who remained in the United States after — and were marginalized by the lackluster upholding of — the Guadalupe-Hidalgo Treaty that ended the war with Mexico.

The author, María Amparo Ruiz de Burton, sets her novel thirty or so years after the signing of the tre
Megan
Oct 19, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, iah-207
I always feel too bad about giving books 1 stars but this one was pretty close to getting only that. While the history of the book was interesting the storyline was just awful for me. The romance parts made me want to gag, I couldn't stand the character of Mercedes. It was just overall very hard for me to read this book I had to force myself to finish it, and honestly, if I didn't have to read this for class I most likely would have abandoned it half-way through. The last hundred pages read like ...more
Gabriel Oak
A literary masterpiece The Squatter and the Don is not. It's not enough to observe that it follows the conventions of the sentimental novel, though it certainly does that. There's all the sighing and fainting and blushing one could possibly hope for hear. But Ruiz de Burton was not interested in creating a masterpiece even of the genre, so the result is quite a bad sentimental novel.

But that is not to say that the novel is without either literary historical interest. On the contrary, it is a fas
Travis
Aug 28, 2015 Travis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
part social justice tract, part sentimental melodrama. confoundingly racist against Indigenous peoples while claiming native status for californios. former Spanish land grant holders undone by us Anglo squatters and corrupt federal and state politicians colluding to bring railroad (and wealth) to San Francisco rather than San Diego. results in decline in wealth and health. luckily for those who live, the white knight steps in at last minute and restores wealth and well-being to all.

themes: melo
Harrison
Apr 09, 2010 Harrison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Absolute misery to read-- never read this poshlost! I wish there was a no star option!
Den Slader
The current scholarship on the writings of Maria Ampara Ruiz de Burton’s most recognized novel, The Squatter and the Don, is relatively thin. Available criticism often addresses the themes of nationalism and racism prevalent in Ruiz de Burton’s literary treatment of the political fallout that followed the 1848 American annexation of California from Mexico. While her novel is most notable for her stunning ability to portray the emotional and economic impact of dividing and resettling the Mexican ...more
r
Mar 07, 2010 r rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the American Supreme Court c. 1872
Maria Amparo Ruiz De Burton mixes ridiculous melodrama with in-depth political discourse in the newly-American California c1850 - 1880. Laws were enacted making it possible for white Americans to settle on and make claim to what had been Mexican owned land. Serious shit.

RDB throws in a Mexican-American romance for obvious reasons but then fails to acknowledge any kind of Mexican heritage or history, instead doing everything she can to favorably align Californios with white American high society
Jay Mehta
Love it when a book melds history and fiction. There are two intertwined stories here. One is about the the relationships between two families, and the other is about the railroads in California, particularly San Diego. The greed and corruption of the railroad barons are staggering. I certainly didn't know about the history of the Southern Pacific railroad (now Union Pacific).
Mar 02, 2014 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main story was very interesting but there were some rather slow bits in it that often made me lose focus. The legal language can get a bit overwhelming also.
Bethany
Nov 03, 2014 Bethany marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Just no. Didn't even get to the end of the first page.
Kelli
Apr 23, 2008 Kelli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This novel was assigned to me one year for an American Literature class. It was a bit difficult to get into, but it is a good story of how Americans stole land from Hispanics during the Gold-Rush era. The novel discusses the lives of an Hispanic family and an American family and how their lives differ, even though their lives are intertwined.
Alejandro
An oddly prescient Victorian style novel about the tensions between "Spano-Americans" and Anglo settlers in the wake of the Guadalupe-Hidalgo Treaty of 1848.
Ron
Mar 20, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-westerns
Read my review at my blog.
Leslie
Mar 14, 2012 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goose
This book started off okay, but as it went on I just wanted it to end! An interesting time period though.
Olivia Berlin
this one was ok...
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Nic
Nic rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Natalie Kubasek
Natalie Kubasek rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Indigo Summer
Indigo Summer marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Zack
Zack marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Nicholas Seider
Nicholas Seider is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2016
Brandon White
Brandon White rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Dorothy O'Connell
Dorothy O'Connell rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Saoirse Sterling
Saoirse Sterling marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
John
John added it
Feb 07, 2016
  • From Out of the Shadows: Mexican Women in Twentieth-Century America
  • Becoming Mexican American: Ethnicity, Culture, and Identity in Chicano Los Angeles, 1900-1945
  • Contraception and Abortion in Nineteenth-Century America: A Critical Edition of the "Symphonia Armonie Celestium Revelationum" (Symphony of the Harmon
  • Prostitution and Victorian Society: Women, Class, and the State
  • 33 Moments of Happiness: St. Petersburg Stories
  • Disorderly Conduct: Visions of Gender in Victorian America
  • Tree of Rivers: The Story of the Amazon
  • Harvest of Empire: A History of Latinos in America
  • Unconfessed
  • Desire and Domestic Fiction: A Political History of the Novel
  • Chip of the Flying U
  • The Biography Of A Prairie Girl (Dodo Press)
  • The Winning of Barbara Worth
  • The  Uncomfortable Dead
  • Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases (Dodo Press)
  • Heart of the West
  • The Making of Victorian Values: Decency and Dissent in Britain: 1789-1837
  • Becoming a Resonant Leader: Develop Your Emotional Intelligence, Renew Your Relationships, Sustain Your Effectiveness

“Let us cry for the spilt milk, by all means, if by doing so we learn how to avoid spilling any more. Let us cry for the spilt milk, and remember how, and where, and why, we spilt it. Much wisdom is learnt through tears, but none by forgetting our lessons.” 48 likes