Start by marking “A Reason to Breathe (Reason, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Reason to Breathe (Reason, #1)

A Reason to Breathe (Reason #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  3,985 Ratings  ·  556 Reviews
WARNING: Author believes in soul mates and insta-love, proceed with caution if you're not a romantic at heart.

Love at first sight was never so dangerous.

Jack Gunnison has a problem. Well, two, actually. One is 5'5", and the other? . . . A killer.

Jennifer Stewart needs a change after losing her husband and sending her daughter off to College. Jenn moves to the high countr
Published January 21st 2014

Lisa

FREE ON AMAZON: GET IT HERE!

You can read my full review at Sinfully Sexy , read an excerpt and enter to win an ebook of A Reason To Breathe.

5 "HOLY SHIT THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME!" STARS

“Welcome to Colorado, Jennifer, you asked for it, you got it, now what are you going to do with it?”

description

A Reason to Breathe is the debut novel by author C.P. Smith. I am unable to express in words how much I truly loved this book. You take a sexy hot and possessive alpha male and you throw in a sassy and sweet w
Mo
Aug 10, 2016 Mo rated it really liked it
This was a nice surprise. I loved it. Was asked by Jess if I would review an ARC as the author wanted Goodreaders, who were not Bloggers, to review it. "Yes Please", I said. I very rarely review ARCs, Netgalley is not my best friend in the world but have reviewed a few.

I have seen a few negative reviews but for a first time author I think it was good. We sometimes have to suspend the disbelief a little bit when we read fiction ... don't you think?

You are definitely going to see references to thi
Aestas Book Blog
Jan 23, 2014 Aestas Book Blog rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites

my casting for Jack ^^^

"A killer, men with guns, and a gorgeous Sherriff with a magic mouth… Welcome to Colorado."

As a huge fan of Alpha male romance, I'm always on the lookout for books in this category and this one hit the spot! It was bossy man meets smartass woman and it was FUN!!

The story followed Jennifer who was widowed at the age of 39 and left by herself when her daughter went off to college. Stuck with a house she couldn't afford filled with memories of her past, she decided to
J
Jan 20, 2014 J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

It's live
AMAZON

description

"You scare me," she whispered. "Yeah? Well join the club, cause you sure as shit scare the fuck out of me."

When a second body turns up in Gunninson County, the last thing Sheriff Jack Gunninson needs is the Towns newest reporter, Jennifer Stewart nosing around and interfering with his investigation.

Jennifer Stewart lost her husband to a drunk driver 18months ago. With her only daughter off to college, she embarks on her life long dream of living in the mountains.

After 4
Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*

1 star...

ATTENTION!!! Major spoiler Alert!!!

I gotta say ladies and gentlemen, in kinda proud of myself right now! I finished this.... Book?

Well... I don't even know where to start with this rant review...

Okay I wish....

Let's start again... Shall we?

Jennifer Stewart is starting her life over or starting to live her dream....
Her husband does and her daughter goes to college.
She moves to Colorado to live her dream...

Now 4 months later she's settled in and working as a journalist when murders s
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
2--It Had Nothing to Do With KA--Stars!!

And by that I mean I didn't like this book KA references notwithstanding. I have nothing against KA, I just haven't read that many of her books so the comparisons were a moot point for me.

My biggest problem: Jennifer Stewart, the heroine.

I had trouble believing she was a 39 year old woman and not a 19 year old.

She annoyed me the whole damn book.

Jenn is newly widowed. She had her daughter Bailey young and she is now off to college so Jenn moves to Creste
Pam
Mar 07, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it
Recommended to Pam by: Mo
.•.•*) .•*)
(.• (FREE for 5 DAYS.•*)
Free from: 3.7.2016 - 3.11.2016
Amazon US: http://amzn.to/1B9OKaf

4 stars
“You scare me,” she whispered.

“Yeah? Well join the club, ‘cause you sure as shit scare the fuck out of me.”

The bossy Sheriff, Jack, has enough on his plate trying to find the killer of a home town girl, two girls already they have found, and it's not looking good since it's looking like a serial killer whose flaunting his kills. Sniffing around the crime scene, he finds Jenn, the stu
Duchess Nicole
""I'm not sure I'm ready for any type of relationship, Jack."

"Babe, you may not be ready, but that's not going to stop me from changing your mind."

`~*~`~*~`~*~`~*~`~*~`~*~`~*~`~*~`~*~`~*~`~*~`~*~
Boy, was this the IT book of the week on Goodreads. A couple of friends loved it and compared it to a Kristen Ashley read and I was totally sucked in. There's no way around the KA read-alike. It's basically fact.

I had likes and dislikes about the book and I'll try to give ample reasons for bo
Jamie
Need MORE stars!

C.P. Smith has found a fan in me and I've found a new author to stalk! I've always been a fan of Romantic Suspense, although I don't read it near as much as I used to...but this story right here was EXACTLY why I love this genre... C.P. gave me everything I want in a Rom Suspense.... A possessive alpha, serious chemistry, crazy hot panty melting heat, a real creepy baddie.. and a real honest "who done it" mystery. So many times in a suspense, its fairly obvious who the bad guy
Jen
2.5 to 3 Underwhelming Stars

"Knew you were trouble the first day I laid eyes on you.”
“I knew you were bossy the minute you opened your mouth.” I responded.

Repeat those sentiments a couple of dozen times, throw in an underutilized serial killer plot and what I can only assume based on all of the men sporting wood in her presence is our heroine Jennifer Stewart’s divine beauty, and we’re left with A Reason to Breathe.

This book was all over my goodreads feed this past week and I’ll be the first
Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️
7/31/15
Kindle Freebie right now don't miss out!!!

4 Debut Stars!!

Wow! I’m seriously impressed that this was a first novel for C.P. Smith !!. Mrs. Smith clearly states that she is a KA fan & KA is the inspiration in her writing and that definitely comes through, and like KA she ended with a great epilogue!!

Jenn heads to the mountains of Colorado when it’s time to start over, she is a widow and her daughter has just gone away to college. Jack is a ba
Vallsykes
Author Acknowledgment: "...To Kristen Ashley, whose books helped me through a tough time and inspired me to write..."
In other words..."Shhhh! I'm channeling Ms. Ashley."
description

You wanna have a fun-fluff read? Read this book.
You wanna healthy dose of caveman, bossy, "bent toward KA-like" alpha? Read this book.
Wanna spend half your time in the mind of a heroine who...
*is a widow?
*has a stalker?
*has a sudden wild hair at age 39 and decides to pursue her dream as a reporter AND move to a small town in
Debra
Mar 17, 2014 Debra rated it it was ok
2.5 stars!

Unfortunately, this was not the book for me.

I wanted to like it. I wanted to love it even, but sadly that was not the case. Even though the overall concept of the story was a good one, there were just too many inconsistencies (insta-love, answering questions with a question, drama overload etc.) for me to be able to overlook and they kind of ruined the rest of the story for me.

Full review to come x

**Copy courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

Kathleen
Nov 26, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Story Rating ~ 5 Never a Boring Moment Stars!
Hero Rating ~ 5 HUGE Bossy Stars!
Heroine ~ 5 BIG Stubborn Stars!
Romance Rating ~ 5 Sexy Stars!
Humor ~ 5 LMAO Stars!
Heat Level ~ 3.75 Sizzling Stars!
Ending ~ 5 Fantastic Epilogue included Stars!
Overall Rating ~ 5 AMAZING Stars!

Right from the start this book hooked me in. I felt bad for the heroine Jennifer Stewart who had just recently lost her husband. I loved that she was going to finally move on and live her dreams of living in the Colorado Mountai
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
Jan 23, 2014 Lady Vigilante (Feifei) added it
Recommended to Lady Vigilante (Feifei) by: Mo
After seeing the multiple reviews stating that it's basically a KA lookalike, not even going to try it. I don't like that kind of writing style, plus with an excessive amount of babe-ing going on, that's a NO for me.
Jess
Jan 12, 2014 Jess rated it it was amazing
5 I LOVE THIS BOOK stars!

Hi my name is Jess, I'm 30, and I am addicted to A Reason to Breathe... no don't say anything, I know it's bad, I was up until 1am, I didn't feed my family and I can't remember if I showered or not. And I'm afraid that if anyone else says they loved this book more than me that I will lash out emotionally and say nasty things such as OMG! No you didn't! Your a liar! How could you!

Okay to the story or I will never get there... Jenn is a 39yr old mother who's daughter is n
Harper Sloan
Jan 23, 2014 Harper Sloan rated it it was amazing
LOVE.THIS.BOOK! Mark my words: Author to watch! <3
Polly
Jan 22, 2014 Polly rated it liked it
Yet another book that every one else loves and I just didn't.

I kind of felt like I was reading a KA rip off. Right down to nicknames used in the story.
Example: Baily calls her mom "mamacita". I had an immediate flash back to a KA book where Violet gets called that by Keira. It was just too coincidental.

Yes it was hot but damn their connection was rushed as hell. He admits to falling for her after 3 days!

Also he's jealous over every man who talks to her, but yet he's banged half the town and t
Amanda
When I found out that both the characters were near 40s, I'm looking forward to some mature romance. However, please don't let this fool you. Most of the time, I felt Jennifer acted like a nonsensical youngster.

Jennifer was a widow with a daughter who was off at college. She decided to move to Colorado to start a new life as a reporter. She was supposed to be writing about local festivities, but she ended up putting her nose into the investigation of the local serial killer who was targeting wom
♥Sharon♥
Jan 25, 2014 ♥Sharon♥ rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

photo 231c52a1-20e6-4e22-bf63-e5dcf6282ddf_zps2c2e85cd.jpg

I was a bit indecisive with my rating for this book. I was initially thinking a 2.5, then thought a bit more about the book and changed it to a 3 but I did enjoy the Epilogue so I bumped it up to a 3.5.

photo 2d39e395-dce1-4e70-8316-5906ec616052_zpsf8a9d4dd.jpg

Jennifer is a widow and her daughter Bailey is off at college. It was always her dream to live in the mountains of Colorado so she makes a decision to pack up and move to Crested Butte Colorado to start a new life working as a Entertainment reporter at Gunnison Times.

Jack is the sexy,
Lindsay
Oct 28, 2014 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews, a-s-a-p
This book was good...with a few issues for me. But before I get into that, I have to say that this is going to be a great book for all KA fans. You can definitely tell that the author is a KA fan. :)

This started out really good. I loved Jack and Jenn. There was a nice animosity set up going on between Jack and Jenn when they first met. I was looking forward to the chemistry and fighting that was to occur. But alas, it wasn't to be. Jenn received a visit from the resident creepy killer and rightl
Didi
Jan 23, 2014 Didi rated it really liked it
Recommended to Didi by: Mo
~~~~~ 3.5 STARS ~~~~~

This book has been popping up everywhere. So you know because of that there are going to be many mixed reviews. Many of my friends loved this while others thought it was okay. Now, as I'd said before, the 5 star rating system doesn't give the reader enough breadth for a proper and realistic rating---in my opinion.
So I've decided to accompany my reviews with an out of 10 rating as well.

So this book is a 7/10.

Let me start by saying I really liked this book. It sucked me right
S.M. West
Dec 07, 2014 S.M. West rated it really liked it
4 SWEETNESS STARS

I really enjoyed this one; my first book from CP Smith. It was sweet, funny, cute and I'm sure I'm not the first to say, it was KA-esque. I mean this in the best way possible. If you love Kristen Ashley, you'll really enjoy this.

Jack is total Alpha hotness and Jenn is sassy, smart and sexy -- together, these guys are loads of fun. Of course, the secondary characters were also endearing and the story was filled with mystery, action, laughter. And definitely worth mentioning, th
Stacey is Sassy
Aug 02, 2015 Stacey is Sassy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cont-suspense
Lived up to my expectations

I heard about this author on Goodreads and had a look at the description and decided that this could definitely be a book for me. It was great.

The main thing that I really liked was that the husband who died wasn't talked about in the negative but he also wasn't put on a pedestal. Jenn's happiness was not dependent on finding someone else to replace her husband, but she also was open to new relationships whether they be friendship or lover.

Loved her friendship with her
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
I loved the stinking heck out this book! It had a bit of a KA vibe going on in it (I seem to be saying that a lot in reviews lately??).

I loved both the hero (Jack) and the heroine (Jenn) though why writers always have to make journalists to stupid to live is beyond me. "Oh look, there is a serial killer on the loose, I think I'll stick my nose into the investigation, thus making myself the focus of the killer!!" Do these people not watch TV, or movies?? *lol*

The mystery of who the baddie was wa
Lucinda - I JUST LOVE TO READ
This is my Jack:

and it's live:

***************************************************
I know I only have to wait one more day... but I really want this book!!!!!

3 Jumping Jehosaphat Stars!!!

(BR with Denisse)

photo image_zps3e598a7d.jpg

A Reason to Breathe is the story of a 39 year old widow, who picks up and moves to a small town in Colorado to start a new life.
Jennifer Stewart is the new "Event" reporter for Gunnison County.
Her husband of twenty years recently passed away, and her daughter has gone off to College.

I was looking forward to this one as I heard it being compared to the works of Kristen Ashley, who I haven't read anything from yet, but after reading this one, I plan t
Dee Montoya
**2.5 to 3 From Good to Terrible Stars***

When it comes to this book there is no grey area, people either really love it or really hate it, but there is no in between. Feeling intrigued by the blurb my friend Patty and I decided it be fun to read it together; at first we were surprised by how much we were enjoying it, all thanks to the delicious super Alpha hero, Jack, but in the end not even all his hotness could save this book and 70% in unfortunately, this story crashed and burned...

Michelle
Jul 19, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Michelle by: Mo
This growling, glaring & bossy man ruined a perfectly good pair of panties!

Jennifer Stewart if facing a new phase in her life. She's spent most of her life as a mother and a wife, but now a widow; she is finally fighting for the life that she wants, that she deserves. She married young when she became pregnant and although she loved her husband, it was not a love that had passion or fire, it was companionship and two kids making a choice for the family they created. But now in Colorado wor
Carolina
Feb 27, 2014 Carolina rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Carolina by: Mo
I just need to say this... SEXY, HOT, FUNNY, ROMANTIC, EXCITING, FABULOUS, MARVELLOUS BOOK!!! got it? ;D

***

In this book... I've met Jenn... (And I liked her a lot!!)

photo 73a41260-51e7-4d80-b02d-55255868b402_zpsea31f7d2.jpg

And I've met him... THE GUY... THE BOMB... THE ALPHA MALE... JACK!

photo woods2_zps121e9d8b.jpg

Who is the...

photo Gif-6-18-supernatural-21310423-500-273_zps1a1fafb4.gif

JAck... Jack... oh Jack...

photo Just-Let-Me-Hold-You-Reaction-Gif_zps1e97e1f3.gif

***

P.S. Thank you Mo for the rec dear! ;) xo
C.D. Canaries: Reason To Breathe BR 2/24/14 482 61 Feb 27, 2014 11:07AM
Goodreads Librari...: Author mix up 4 72 Dec 31, 2013 11:30AM
  • Mugs of Love (Stories of Love #1)
  • Overflow (Carpino, #1)
  • The Science of Loving
  • The Song Remains the Same (NOLA's Own, #3)
  • Love’s Tempting (The Love's, #2)
  • Razing Kayne (Walking a Thin Blue Line, #1)
  • Hyde and Seek (Hyde #1)
  • Color of Forgiveness (Color, #2)
  • A is for Alpha Male (A is for Alpha Male #1)
  • Sweet Seduction Surrender (Sweet Seduction, #4)
  • Conflicting Interests
  • Rock Chick Revolution (Rock Chick, #8)
  • Execution Style (Code 11-KPD SWAT, #4)
  • Big Bad Bite
  • Fire and Ice (Guardians, #1)
  • A Girl by Any Other Name
C.P. Smith is a stay-at-home mom with a keyboard. She's never serious and lives inside her head.
More about C.P. Smith...

Reason (3 books)
  • A Reason to Kill (Reason, #2)
  • A Reason to Live (Reason, #3)

“Jesus, what are you doing to me?” He whispered. “Nothing,” I gasped, when his tongue circled my ear. “Baby, if that’s nothing, you’re gonna kill me when it means something.” 36 likes
“You scare me," she whispered. "Yeah? Well join the club, cause you sure as shit scare the fuck out of me.” 9 likes