Start by marking “The Phantom of the Opera” as Want to Read:
The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera

Le Fantôme de l'Opéra (English: The Phantom of the Opera) is a novel by French writer Gaston Leroux. It was first published as a serialisation in "Le Gaulois" from September 23, 1909 to January 8, 1910. Initially, the story sold very poorly upon publication in book form and was even out of print several times during the twentieth century;[1] it is overshadowed by the ...more
Published November 21st 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Phantom of the Opera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Phantom of the Opera

Ana
Oct 14, 2014 Ana rated it it was amazing
It was the first book that I knew I was going to have near all my life.

When I was a child I hear stories about the phantom of the opera at Paris, but I never thought about that. Not just the day I saw Webber's film at my house, completely alone. When the film finished I was a lot of time thinking about that character who lived beneath the opera house. I fault in love with his story and I started to look for more information about it. I was lucky because at my grandpa's library I found a exemplar
Michael Lehrer
Oct 31, 2015 Michael Lehrer rated it really liked it
Michelle
Apr 16, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I have always been a fan of the Phantom of the Opera---ever since I heard Sarah Brightman sing the part of Christine Daae. I saw many adaptations and read many various versions of the story, so to read the original was a true delight. I was tickled every time I saw a certain phrase or description in the book and thought---that was in the musical! that was in that one book! So I have to admit, part of my review is biased :)

That being said, this is not by far the greatest writing. His style is a l
Cornelia
Nov 09, 2014 Cornelia rated it liked it
Shelves: folklore
Jag blev inspirerad att läsa boken efter att ha sett musikalen i London under höstlovet. Jag hade inga som helst förväntningar på musikalen då jag minns att jag inte gillade filmen - som jag sett någon gång för mycket länge sedan. Men musikalen var fantastisk och nu när jag läst boken kan jag säga följande:

Berättelsen har fortfarande inte släppt mig. Boken var inte ur Christines perspektiv, men det var spännande att se vad som inspirerad musikalen och vad de gjort med original historien. Den var
Greg Tilford
Jan 08, 2016 Greg Tilford rated it it was amazing
Overall, an excellent book. If you have seen the opera there are significant differences between this text and what is performed on stage. However, it is similar enough to be the "same story" and the background of the various characters was enjoyable to learn.

Unlike some other reviewers I found the characters compelling. His obvious distaste for the french upper class is reflected in the lack of depth of these characters.
Lost.in.a.Book
Apr 18, 2016 Lost.in.a.Book rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I found it to be hilarious in the beginning, but then it gets really dark and twisted. The characters are all well thought out and full of depth and the ending is perfect!
Anna Hackbarth
Anna Hackbarth rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Malloreon
Dec 22, 2015 Malloreon rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, fiction
A memorable read and a great ending.
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Penny
Penny rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Έφη Τελκή
Έφη Τελκή rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Nightingale_jt
Nightingale_jt rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Dorothée Nicolier
Dorothée Nicolier rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Sophia Ghonim
Sophia Ghonim rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2014
Tina Loffe
Tina Loffe rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
Ping-Chung Ellen  Wang
Ping-Chung Ellen Wang rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Megan Ferguson
Megan Ferguson rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Kristen Barbs
Kristen Barbs rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Maria G.
Maria G. rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2014
Tigs Bean
Tigs Bean rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2016
Elisa
Elisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Aren Roupen Unal
Aren Roupen Unal rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Brian Kilb
Brian Kilb rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Kathrine Tsaliou
Kathrine Tsaliou rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Jim Schooley
Jim Schooley rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Nikola Kolev
Nikola Kolev rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016