Start by marking “Falling Awake” as Want to Read:
Falling Awake

Falling Awake

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  3,479 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
A red scarf. A roller coaster. A tidal wave of blood.

Isabel Wright spends her days at the Belvedere Center for Sleep Research analyzing the dreams of others. Dr. Martin Belvedere, a pioneer in the field, recognized her unique talent for what he calls Level Five lucid dreaming - and rescued her from a dead-end job at the psychic dreamer hotline. It’s satisfying, lucrative w
Audio CD, 10 pages
Published November 18th 2004 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2004)

Brett
Nov 17, 2010 Brett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finished "Falling Awake" by Jayne Ann Krentz. I really did not like this one, for a lot of reasons.

First and foremost, it needed another editor to clean up the language and events. There was no normal dialogue among the characters. Everything seemed a little too scripted, too wooden, including the fully-qualified names for things, such as the Belvedere Center for Sleep Research. I swear if the name if the place were "The Honolulu Branch of the Pinkleton/Belvedere University Hospital Center for
Cruth
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz
First published: 2005
Length: 529 pages (Large Print)
Setting: Contemporary, California.
Sex: Explicit. Reasonably frequent.
Paranormalish - Lucid dreaming and dream reading.
Hero: Entrepeneur and gov. agent investigator who uses lucid dreaming.
Heroine: Interprets Lucid Dreams.

An interesting idea that didn't quite make it.

It felt like Krentz wanted to explore an idea she had a few years ago and didn't want to waste her research or the manuscript that was stashed in a bottom dr
Linda
Aug 02, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Isabel is a dream analyzer in a smaller division of a big company. When the promotion she expected turns into search for a new employment, shes disappointed. Good thing she has family that will help.
Ellis, an independent contractor, depends on the help with analyzing his dreams, so when it gets shut down theyll have to solve it, asap. Now Ellis is sent on the mission to convince Isabel to start working for his agency instead.
When a conspiracy starts entangling them both theyll have to work tog
Alicja
Jul 27, 2016 Alicja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything is like in Krentz's books should be: a mysterious and dangerous Hero, enterprising and intelligent heroine , mystery and a little magic . And the feeling . Mature , evolving . Awaited and hot.
Mojca
The Belvedere Center for Sleep Research caters to the demands of two mysterious clients with the ability of lucid dreaming - the state where the dreamer knows he/she is dreaming and can alter the dreamscape to their own wishes.

Isabel Wright, herself a Level Five (the highest level of lucid dreaming) is the one in charge of interpreting their dreams. She is so intrigued by the Client Number Two that the man eventually starts appearing in her dreams. She dubs him Dream Man.

Enter Ellis Cutler, Clie
Kimberly
Feb 25, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love the Arcane Series from JAK then you will love this book too. It almost seems like this is a early writing that was maybe the start of the Arcane family. Honestly with a name change it could easily have been one of the books in the series.

Isabel is a dream analyst but not what we normally think of when we think about our dreams. This is not the "this symbol means this" type of answers. This goes much deeper. She works for a man who believes she can do this but is hiding her talents u
Robin
Aug 30, 2016 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was cheesy, simple and almost a waste of time to read. I thought it had potential during the part where it explains dream analysis and psychic dreaming to solve crimes. But honestly everything that was supposed to be "Top Secret" was spread around candidly and for as few of people as there was supposed to be who were "Level 5 Lucid Dreamers", they were sure popping up everywhere, seemed like everyone was by the end of the book. There was a lot of oh brother kind of stuff from the dark ...more
Shelly
Sep 17, 2015 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of good things about this book. The characters were probably the best part. They we really well developed and I liked them both. Some aspects of the book I didn't fully understand at first, like the Level 5 dreaming. But by the end, I had a clearer understanding of it.
Micii
Apr 01, 2014 Micii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm thrilled! :) The book is masterful, the characters are fine, but the plot and story are fantastic. Ellis and Isabel, their story even makes me dream of my perfect man. (Somehow I have a hunch that it could be Vincent Scargill). ^^
pianogal
Sep 20, 2007 pianogal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-reads
This is my all-time favorite Krentz book. If you've never read it - read it. I'm serious. I loved the plot, I liked the characters. It's just a good book. If I could give it more than 5 stars, I would.
R.G.
Oct 15, 2011 R.G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i loved the whole theories on dreaming it in itself was an interesting subject and of course the twist and turns along the way... definitely didn't end the way i thought it was... and of course it was a beautiful romance... i love people falling in love... it's just wonderful
Carol Stanley-Snow
It's been a long time since i read Janyne Krentz and now i wonder why????

This book has it all...romance, mystery, intrigue, murder and best of all...an unexpected happy ending.

You must read to see what i mean...enjoy!
Mimna
Aug 13, 2015 Mimna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
เราวาเราคอนขางจะมีปัญหาเวลาอานงานของ JAK คะ
เลมนีคืออานนานมาก และไมจบดวย ไมดึงดูดเลยอะ คอนไปทางเบือมากดวยซำ
อานมาไดเกือบครึงเลมเลยตัดใจเลิกอานดีกวา ไมไหวจริงๆ
Shirlene
Isabel Wright worked for Dr. Martin Belvedere at Belvedere Center Sleep Research Center. She was a person who had the ability to read dreams. Dr. Belvedere had two special clients that worked for a government agency, Client One and Client Two. She read their dreams that were given to her and her analysis of those dreams helped those clients catch criminals. The only problem Isabel had with the dream analysis was that they left her with nightmares because she received no closure on the cases.
Isa
Dawn Grace
Nov 05, 2016 Dawn Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking

The book kept me engaged the entire time. It played like a movie in my head. I really enjoy this author.
Kris Rafferty
Lots of plot. Little romance. Tame passion.
Annette McIntyre
An interesting romantic romp.
Murren Harker
This book was very interesting in its concept( with the dreaming and the being able to delve into those dreams for information). However, the heroine and the hero seemed a bit same old, same old, with no characteristic setting them apart from any normal person.

This is my personal opinion, but I like to have the really odd characters present in a book as they can make it potentially more interesting.

With this in mind, however, I did enjoy the book enough to finish it. :) Keep it up!
Lisa
Mar 20, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great audio book. If you have read any of my previous audio book reviews you will know that the read makes or breaks an audio book for me and this reader, Laurel Merlingtion, was wonderful. She got into the story with different voices and inflections for different characters. It helps to keep it interesting and keep the story moving.

I really enjoyed this story because I never able to quite pin the story down. Every time I though that I had figured a piece of it out, something changed an
Amy
Dec 04, 2008 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, audio
Listened to this a while ago on audiobook-- don't remember it too distinctly, except that it was a light diversion for a car trip. I have an interest in lucid dreaming, and maybe that's why I picked this up at goodwill...or it could be that someone had just raved about this author and I figured this was a way to check her out. Apparently she also writes under another name, but I can't remember what.

From the Publisher

A red scarf. A roller coaster. A tidal wave of blood.

Isabel Wright spends her d
Ns
Sep 19, 2010 Ns rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Falling Awake unfolded very much like a dream: disorienting and confusing at first, but in stages gave way to a more alert and intriguing story. The result was a plausible and intelligent plot even though it alludes to a bit of the supernatural.

The story centers around lucid Level Five dreamers, who are extreme dreamers with the ability to shift, alter and to an extent control their dreams. For Isabel Wright, all this means for her is a job. A Level Five dreamer herself, she is a dream analyst
Sheryl Tribble
Mar 25, 2012 Sheryl Tribble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the one-star reviews called this book "dorky", and another (positive) review recommended you "think of it as a comic book". Both very true, and probably half the reason I love Krentz. Half her heroes and most of her heroines were probably dismissed by the Cool Kids as dorks, and her plots tend toward over-the-top and unlikely, just like comics. Her stuff also tends to be warm, loving, family-oriented (although with a very broad definition of "family"), and somewhat naive. You always know ...more
Mary
Dec 09, 2009 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: noone
I read this book back in February 2009, but I forgot to put in my review. It's not a bad book but not a fast read at all. If anything I found it quite boring. Not much action but mostly the characters's emotions.

The book deals with lucid dream analysis. Isabel Wright, as the main protagonist of the book, is a lucid dream analyst. She is working for the Belvedere center for Sleep Research when her boss Dr. Martin Belvedere is found dead in his office. When Randolph Belvedere, Dr. Belvedere's son
Jessi
Apr 12, 2010 Jessi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Isabel Wainwright has just been fired. She worked for a dream lab as a Level 5 extreme dream analysis. Her former boss had postulated that there were five levels of dreaming with very few people who are able to reach the fifth level. So far, Isabel is the only analyst they know of. There is an unnamed government agency who has been using Level Five dreamers to solve particularly nasty crimes. Isabel then interprets their more enigmatic dreams.
But her boss has died and his son fires Isabel. She
Maria
Ms. Krentz can take an odd subject like dream research, give it an unrealistic slant like level 5 extreme dreaming, and still weave a wonderful story. Her characters, Ellis Cutler and Isobel Wright, are, as usual, terrific, while the action is fast-paced and builds to interesting conclusions as Ms. Krentz ties up all the loose ends. There are lots of minor characters to fill out the story-line, which I always enjoy.
1/29/16: I have now read this book six times. The Level 5 extreme dreaming seems
Sandra
I enjoyed this stand alone book.

The MCs were very likable, the bad guys were obnoxious, the story was good. What more do you want? LOL

The story revolves around Lucid Dreaming, and what your tax dollars are really doing. A secret govt bureau solves crime by getting its agents to dream Level 5 Lucid Dreams, and when they can't interpret them they request analysis from Isabel Wright. Isabel doesn't know for sure that she is analysing govt dreams but has pretty much worked it out.

Suddenly, her boss
Jessica
"What do you mean, you're on thin ice financially? Are we talking serious debt?"
...
Isabel cleared her throat. "I made some investments."
"Please tell me you didn't do something stupid in the stock market."
"I'm not in the market."
"Did you buy a house?" Tamsyn looked relieved. "That's usually a good investment. I'm sure you'll be able to sell it."
************************
bwhahaha. Oh, for the halcyon days of 2004.

The story is fine. Light, not particularly memorable. The lucid dreaming thing was a li
Lexica
I've become a huge Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle fan recently and have been reading/listening to a lot of her books lately. This one is definitely not one of the stronger ones.

For the audiobook version, the reader (Laural Merlington) is okay, not great. Not a reader I'll be seeking out, but not getting added to my "To Avoid" list. (Although... Dear audiobook readers: if the text says "he/she laughed", please DO NOT then add "ha ha ha". It's annoying as hell.)
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
In Falling Awake, Isabel and Ellis finally meet face to face and outside their level 5 dreams. LIke typical JAK, this romance revolves around a murder mystery. Falling Awake is nicely balanced between the mystery and the romance. Ellis is a strong lead and although we don't get a lot of back story on him, I liked that JAK gave us just enough to flesh him out.

This couple had a lot more chemistry going for them than others have in the recent past. There was nothing generic or bland about these tw
Debbie
Oct 30, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain-candy
After the disappointment of Linda Grimes's book I turned to a trusted author. With an assignment and an exam this month I need some brain candy to read and I knew Jayne Ann Krentz wouldn't let me down.

This book is a paranormal detective romance that centres on dreams. Isabel Wright is a level 5 lucid dream analyst - she can analyse the dreams of high level lucid dreamers to interpret the patterns in them. This skill can be used to help solve crimes.

Ellis Cutler (now that's a hero's name that onl
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Falling Awake (2004) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 01:10PM
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Lie by Moonlight (Vanza, #4)
  • To Tame the Hunter
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...