Start by marking “The Fairy Tale Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fairy Tale Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #1)

The Fairy Tale Bride (Once Upon a Wedding #1)

3.42  ·  Rating Details ·  2,931 Ratings  ·  221 Reviews
Miranda Fenster was known as the Fairy Tale Miss during the one disastrous London season that convinced her she would never have a happily-ever-after. But when her brother's love match is thwarted by the impossibly proper Duke of Kerstone, Miranda sets off to convince the duke to champion her brother's cause for love. Unfortunately, he is too proper to consider love a ...more
Published September 7th 2010 by Kelly McClymer Books (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy Tale Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy Tale Bride

Kathy Davie
Apr 06, 2013 Kathy Davie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, history
First in the Once Upon a Wedding historical romance series. This installment is set in England in 1832. The couple focus is on Miranda Fenster and Simon Watterly.

My Take
Cute idea, but never make me read this melodramatic claptrap again. Talk about taking liberties with the time period. The heir would never have been in the military. That was always the second son's career path with religion set aside for the third son. Oh, please. The almost-scandal "forces" Miranda's mother to remove her from S
Sophie Barnes
I thought this was OK. The author definitely shows promise in terms of imagination and writing skill, but I felt at times that there were too many sub plots involved, plus too many repeat incidents of Simon, the Duke of Kerstone (our hero)wanting to teach our heroine (Miss Miranda Fenston)a valuable lesson about the danger of always thinking the best of people. That said, the writing did improve as the story progressed, although I believe it could have benefited from a bit more plot editing - ...more
Tinsoni
Simon was too stubborn....Miranda too stupidly naive...and the constant reference to fairytales over done....there were some good scenes but mostly an unsatisfactory read!
Kalinya Parker-Pryce
Dec 24, 2012 Kalinya Parker-Pryce rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I gave up half way through this book. By then I was way way over this grown woman's fixation with fairy tales and constantly referring to them when talking to the hero. Painfully immature. The constant belaboring the imminent end of hero's status as duke, and numerous veiled references to him being the previous duke's bastard, with no real clarification about that situation was also supremely tedious and tried my patience to the limit.

Ghastly experience, and one I won't be in a hurry to repeart
Vikki Vaught
Enjoyed the character and their struggle to find their happy ending. Enjoyed the suspenseful aspect, and talk about sexual tension, incredible. At times, the tension did create quite a bit of angst, though. Happy reading!
Erika
Sep 17, 2016 Erika marked it as not-for-me-or-passing-for-now
Kay Bolton
Apr 23, 2013 Kay Bolton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
Although the plot was quite well thought through, unfortunately the writing didn't quite live up to it.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible writing, just mediocre.

I found that I become a bit annoyed with both the Hero and Heroine. He for his self-pity and her for her (it seemed) endless quoting of fairy tales.

As far as the jeopardy portion of the plot was concerned, the villain did come across as a little implausible.

All things considered a 3 star read. I wouldn't let me so-so review put you o
Anna
Aug 08, 2011 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just okay for me. Simon was too annoying with his unbending attitude, and plan to divest himself of his title.

I thought Miranda was too understanding for too long. She did everything for her family and then took too much abuse off her cranky husband--even though during those times that was what women did. Still I like my heroines to have some spunk!
kris
Feb 02, 2012 kris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You know what they say about a car wreck, where it's so awful you can't look away? This book is like a car wreck that you want to look away from it, but you have to stare at it because your boss is making you.

MISTAKE
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
I DIDN'T GET THAT SOPHISTICAL ROMANCE FEEL TO THE STORY

The Fairy Tale Bride was just OK. It need a lot of editing to to put the sequence of the story in a better order. The Characters and back story were under developed. I didn't get that Historical Feel. The author failed to put us in the period. The cover of the book looks like a contemporary romance book and not historical romance.

I did like Miranda Fenster the H. Simon the Duke of Kerstone was just OK for me. All the other characters in the
Shanan
I liked Simon in the beginning but when he returns 5 yrs later I didn't like him at all. His character flaws were too pronounced with not enough to make him likable despite them. His ability to lie and trick her into marriage but couldn't handle even the slightest deception on her part without any internal dialogue that he felt any remorse for making her think he was dying and the dressing up and stealing her valuables. I couldn't reconcile myself to such deception from someone so it was hard to ...more
Heather Wiese
2.5/3.0

Miranda is a young lady out for her first London season, made fun of because of her propensity to relate everything to one fairytale or another.

The Duke of Kerstone is smitten with her and plans on offering for her hand in marriage when he finds out some disturbing news and decides to go off to war instead.

Five years later the Duke returns, Miranda is still unmarried and he still wants her, but refuses to marry because he plans on giving up the dukedom. It turns out he's illegitimate (ser
Kaffi
Feb 21, 2014 Kaffi rated it liked it
Boring

Way too many extraneous conversations. I got pretty bored and skimmed a lot. Some of the situations just made no sense, especially toward the end (I don't want to have any spoilers). I really felt the ending was just dumb, like the author was desperate to come to a conclusion.
saferia
Nov 26, 2011 saferia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to read as the story didn't flow from event to event. The traditional fairytale references did not add anything to the story, but read as random information. A good premise for a story that just did not deliver.
Tausha
Oct 17, 2012 Tausha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a clean read! I am getting more and more hesitant at starting "free" books even after reading all the reviews. I better stick to the books those I trust have already read.
Michelle
Aug 18, 2012 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks

I liked this at 1st, but it just drags on. I was excited to know what would happen, but somewhere along the way I realized I didn't care anymore.
Angi
Jul 22, 2016 Angi rated it it was ok
boring to read ....
the secret was good
Theresa Brandt
Nov 06, 2016 Theresa Brandt rated it it was ok
Tedious

I cannot emphasize enough the effort it took to finish this novel. I chose it on the strength of the 5th book in the series, "The Next Best Bride" which wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it was good enough to keep me entertained and earn a rating of 4 stars. But, OMG, what an awful mess this book turned out to be.

The heroine is such a strong believer in the happy endings of fairy tales that pretty much any life complication, regardless of how hurtful and severe, is fi
Marie
Oct 25, 2016 Marie rated it liked it
The story is quite melodramatic. The twisting plot would probably make a hit soap opera, especially since it's an installment of the series Once Upon a Wedding set in the Victorian era. A lot of imagination went into the book. It brought to mind The Perils of Pauline, not in the sense that the heroine was always in danger, but that when you thought a problem was about to be resolved, something else happened. I did cringe at the Duke's mindset and applauded the heroine's persistence. Also, I ...more
Barbara Suralik
Nov 11, 2016 Barbara Suralik rated it really liked it
Truly enjoyed this novel.

Very well thought out and executed. Wonderfully animated and well developed charters. Exciting plot with twists that you would have never guessed. Clever!
Jeanne Johnston
Nov 29, 2016 Jeanne Johnston rated it did not like it
Stubborn man with an overblown sense of honour, naïve girl with an annoying fixation on fairy tales. Add the expected misunderstandings, a villain, sordid family secrets, far too many editing fails, and voilá.
Joy Sanchez
Nov 24, 2016 Joy Sanchez rated it it was amazing
Truly remarkable!

I am not a fan of the full on romantic story but this one had intrigue, mystery, and love. It was well written and no over the top live scenes fit for the x-rated genre. Quite refreshing! I couldn't put it down.
Jennifer Mateo
Nov 07, 2016 Jennifer Mateo rated it it was amazing
Very good book.

It was a very good book and got me over a major book funk! I'm usually pretty quick at figuring out what is happening or going to eventually happen and the twist at the end completely caught me off guard. I would definitely recommend this book.
D Peters
Oct 31, 2016 D Peters rated it it was amazing
Love it!

Great story filled with love, intrigue, sacrifices and happy endings. Fun leading female character not willing to compromise her beliefs.
Evelyn Dockery
Oct 22, 2016 Evelyn Dockery rated it it was amazing
Evelyn D

A very interesting book that kept you spell bound from beginning to end. I would recommend this book as a must read
Ditte
Nov 23, 2016 Ditte rated it did not like it
This was like a broken record where the "hero" goes on and on and on about his very stupid reason for not wanting to be the duke.
Pagent99
Dec 05, 2016 Pagent99 rated it liked it
Wish I could give it 4 stars
Kellie Kruse
Oct 19, 2016 Kellie Kruse rated it really liked it
Fairytale

I loved this read some parts slow but well worth my attention. The characters were well thought out and the female interesting.
Sue
Oct 15, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it
Good Read

Both the plot and characters in this book were very interesting. The reading was smooth enough that I can recall only one typo. I recommend this book.
Kay Smith
Oct 14, 2016 Kay Smith rated it it was amazing
Super cute book; has some weird relationship progression but overall--pretty steady and entertaining. I read this over the course of two week's lunch breaks and never lost the vein of the story to boredom. Pretty fun read!
  • Wallflower (The Old Maids' Club, #1)
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Love from the Ashes
  • The Bride Price (Civil War Brides, #1)
  • Oh, Cherry Ripe
  • The Beauty Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie, #1)
  • An Undeniable Rogue (Rogues Club, #1)
  • Shades of Honor (Grayson Brothers, #1)
  • Lady Deception
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • Intentions of the Earl (Scandalous Sisters #1)
  • Almost Perfect
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Brides of Bath, #1)
  • Texas Hold Him
  • All's Fair in Love & Seduction (The Elusive Lords, #2.5)
  • Married By Midnight (Pembroke Palace, #4)
  • Colby's Child
  • Shattered Dreams
Kelly McClymer has not escaped from college life since she moved into her freshman dorm at the tender age of 17. Studying, working, and living across the street from college students may have given her a warped view of growing up. Or maybe she was destined to be 17 forever.
More about Kelly McClymer...

Once Upon a Wedding (7 books)
  • The Star-Crossed Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #2)
  • The Unintended Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #3)
  • The Infamous Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #4)
  • The Next Best Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #5)
  • The Impetuous Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #6)
  • The Twelfth Night Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #7)

“I am capable of running my own life. I don't need you...I just want you.” 2 likes
“discreetly cocked his head in the direction of the crush of dancing figures. "I wondered if you would care to engage in a small wager to add piquancy to this dull evening?" "What kind of wager?" "A matter of a successful seduction, Cousin." Simon grimaced at his cousin's expectant grin. No doubt the cad waited for a lecture. But today he would be surprised. An hour before, Simon had adjusted his cravat in the curved looking-glass in the foyer of his parents' town house and promised himself that he would do everything in his power to destroy the image of fairness and propriety that had given those who knew him cause to call him Saint Simon. And a good start to accomplish this aim would be to wager with his cousin. For Grimthorpe was a worse gossip than any of the bored dowagers seated about the room. He lifted his shoulders as if mildly intrigued with the idea. "My ring if you succeed." Grimthorpe's eyes narrowed in shock; then he eyed the large ruby and silver ring on Simon's left little” 0 likes