Start by marking “Healing Fiction” as Want to Read:
Healing Fiction

Healing Fiction

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In this work, Hillman's main deconstruction of therapy, he asks "What does the soul want?" and answers "Fictions that heal". By examining the three Great Originators of depth psychology--Freud, Jung, and Adler--this book looks again at what is really meant by "case history", "active imagination", and "inferiority feelings".
Published May 15th 1998 by Spring

To ask other readers questions about Healing Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Fiction

Bill Bridges
A foundational book for Archetypal Psychology. In exploring the question "What does the soul want?", Hillman demonstrates that it wants fictions as therapy. Fantasies heal.

Especially interesting is Hillman's examination of the psychologies of Freud, Jung, and Adler -- their fictions. Even the "case history", that bastion of objective account, is a genre of writing, complete with its own tropes. It is a form of detective story, which we literalize as completely factual.

Using Adler's thought, Hil
Gregory Boyce
If your work, or play, involves any degree of depth psychology (and you CBTers would probably enjoy this too) I highly recommend this book. We humans are meaning-making beings. We make meaning out of practically everything around us. Peruvian Shamans would call this a Jaquar level of perception. Hillman endorses the idea that our lives are significantly influenced by the 'stories' we tell ourselves about our lives. Like the Transactional Analysis notion of 'scripts', Hillman says that any dysfun ...more
Nikki
Fascinating read! Hillman's book contains three parts primarily addressing Freud, Jung, and Adler.
I think I was most fascinated by the first section because it contained a concept new for me. Though I've got a good handle on Freud himself, Hillman takes us specifically into examining case history and what Freud brought to it. Ultimately, case history itself serves as a type fiction: the person telling the story of their experience(s) is presenting a fiction, their interpretation and memory of t
Lynda
I looked this book up because I want to re-read it - loved it in my twenties and am curious to see what I think twenty some years later.
Richard
For as much ado as I've always heard about Hillman and his works, this was not a very impressive introduction. I'll be honest, the active imagination dialogues between patients and their animas was interesting....I guess it was all fairly interesting. But it had no umph. Nothing really making me love Hillman for his contribution, or wanting to return to him anytime soon. Any other reccomendations from Hillman fans, cause I'm not one just yet?
Colin
Love, love, LOVE this book! LOVE Hillman! He looks at Adlerian psychology versus Freud and, mostly, Jung.
Marcia
I'm too bored with this book to finish it.
Brando Barrios robles
Brando Barrios robles marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Cihan İnsanoğlu
Cihan İnsanoğlu marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Eugene Dagon
Eugene Dagon marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
P
P marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
John Selvidge
John Selvidge is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2014
Magic Penny
Magic Penny marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
MightyMaeve
MightyMaeve marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Elizabeth Skwiot
Elizabeth Skwiot is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
Bruce
Bruce is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Ichrak Dahou
Ichrak Dahou is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mysterium Coniunctionis (Collected Works 14)
  • Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales (C.G. Jung Foundation Book)
  • Love and Friendship
  • You Are the Message
  • A Little Book on the Human Shadow
  • House Thinking: A Room-By-Room Look at How We Live
  • Inner Work: Using Dreams and Active Imagination for Personal Growth
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel, II: Advanced Techniques For Dramatic Storytelling
  • Becoming Human
  • The Pregnant Virgin: A Process of Psychological Transformation (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 21)
  • The Inner World of Trauma: Archetypal Defences of the Personal Spirit
James Hillman was an American psychologist. He served in the US Navy Hospital Corps from 1944 to 1946, after which he attended the Sorbonne in Paris, studying English Literature, and Trinity College, Dublin, graduating with a degree in mental and moral science in 1950.
In 1959, he received his PhD from the University of Zurich, as well as his analyst's diploma from the C.G. Jung Institute and foun
More about James Hillman...
The Soul's Code: In Search of Character and Calling Re-Visioning Psychology The Dream and the Underworld A Blue Fire We've Had a Hundred Years of Psychotherapy & the World's Getting Worse

“To be sane, we must recognise our beliefs as fictions.” 0 likes