Start by marking “Bonjour Laziness: Why Hard Work Doesn't Pay” as Want to Read:
Bonjour Laziness: Why Hard Work Doesn't Pay

Bonjour Laziness: Why Hard Work Doesn't Pay

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Your company wants you to be loyal. You should feel lucky–after all, your job is a privilege (think of all those who would like to have it). And you know (despite what you’ve read about Enron and WorldCom) that management has your best interests at heart. Your goal is to devote yourself to the pursuit of corporate profit, make your company number one, and reap the benefits ...more
Published September 12th 2006 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bonjour Laziness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bonjour Laziness

Julia
My expectations were not really high, but I at least thought that I would have to chuckle sometimes remembering my own, not hyper-successful, time in a big corporate enterprise. Maybe the book would have been funnier and wittier in French, especially regarding the linguistic peculiarities of corporate language, even though they seem to be the same all over the world.
What's annoying: The author is trying to come across as a kind of cynical intellectual observer, but in the end she seems to be ra
John
I guess I've never actually finished this book--too lazy!--but I pick it up from time to time to read a chapter and chuckle over its (rather bitter, rather cynical, and, thus, rather up my alley) points--

"Never, under any circumstances, accept a position of responsibility. Additional aggravation is never worth a few extra bucks a week."

"[Work] is not a place for self-fulfillment. If it were, you would know it."

"You will not be judged by how well you work but by how well you conform."

I'm not sayi
Josephine
The other day, a friend of mine mentioned overhearing two co-workers gripe about another woman (surprisingly, not my friend) who sat with a “sour look” on her face the entire time they were at a team lunch — and this is what I don’t get: there are a surprising number of office drones out there who act like we’re at work to make friends and have a good time…and these aren’t even people who do meaningful, important work all day. (I mean, sure, some of us are delusional enough to believe that we do ...more
Remo
Estimados lectores, ante todo quiero resaltar el pequeño eslogan incluido en la portada del libro: "El libro que está cambiando el mundo". ¡JA! Nos encontramos ante un pequeño ensayo, sin muchas pretensiones, escrito a la carrera y que impreso en letra normal no llegaría a las 80 páginas. En él la autora hace un somerísimo retrato de la cultura empresarial francesa y de cómo está claro (para ella) que el mundo no debería funcionar así. Propone "sabotear" el sistema convirtiéndonos en vagos, escu ...more
Carin
This book may have been intended to be funny, but it simply depressed me. That's probably my own fault for not liking what I see in the mirror--I play the role of the middle manager for whom she possesses such contempt. C'est la vie. I will lie in the bed I've made until I can figure out the next step--with absolutely no help from Corinne Maier and this ridiculous book.
Jimmakos Gavagias
It started very nice but as the book went on it was a little to management writing for me.I have to admit though that the last pages was a little bit like a revelation for me cause the ideas there are very revolutionary and pioneer.
Reinhold
Nov 13, 2009 Reinhold rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Reinhold by: orf.at
Das Buch einer Frustrierten

Das Buch klang sehr interessant, und wenn man bedenkt, dass es ein Bestseller ist, dann muss man ja geradezu hingreifen und es lesen ... glaubt man ... und man irrt sich gewaltig.

Dachte ich zunächst der Grund warum dieses Buch so in Verruf ist, liegt darin begraben, dass Meier ein Tabu bricht und darüber schreibt, dass sich nicht längst alle so anstrengen wie sie das gerne vorgeben. Um so interessanter wäre es die Welt durch die klugen Augen eines solchen Menschen zu s
ℳatthieu
Préambule
J'avais déjà lu ce livre fin 2004 (peu après sa sortie).
Je commençais alors, ma carrière professionnelle en prestation à EDF (la même entreprise que l'auteur).
N'ayant absolument aucun souvenir du livre, et presque 10 ans plus tard (j'ai maintenant ma petit expérience en entreprise), j'ai donc décidé de le relire.

Eh alors ?
C'est un pamphlet, un litanie de phrases prétentieuses et définitives. Des affirmations sans argumentation se succèdent sans réel but, peut-être dans le but de choquer
Filip
Sure, Corinne Maier has a point in that the power balance between company and employees has tilted towards the company, and her book is meant as a provocation, not as a scientific breakthrough. Knowing that, I was still disappointed. The author hides between a flippant intellectual pose, which actually hides her ignorance about business economics. Statements such as "a Quality Control manager is a totally superfluous position" or "we give people English job titles because they don't know what it ...more
James Christensen
Not a big fan. Somehow this got on one of my lists of business books to read. Unfortunately, it's satire and not particularly great satire. I was very disappointed. On the flip side it only took about 30 minutes to read.
Kathleen
Sep 21, 2007 Kathleen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: office drones
Shelves: france
Originally published as "Bonjour Paresse" in France, "Bonjour Laziness" is a fiesty little tome that rails against the evils of the corporate world, and "middle managers" in particular. Anyone who has worked in a low-level office job will immediately identify with Maier's disdain and frustration for corporate culture. It actually gets a bit depressing at times, and I had to put it down for this reason. I'm not in the mood for reading something so morose right now! Great translations of French wo ...more
Jenn
Man, I love the French. I don't think this black hearted cynical little treatise on the stupidity of business could have come from anywhere else.
Meredith
Why is it that so much of the nonfiction I'm reading could have just been condensed into a magazine article?
Simon
This was much more stereotypically French pseudo-intellectual than I'd hoped. Maier likes to quote Lacan and Foucault for no other reason than to let you know she's read Lacan and Foucault, and she takes 120 pages of a 150 page book to get to the point. And her point is a fairly obvious one: offices suck, so stop giving a shit about your work because they certainly don't care about you.
As for the promised strategies and tips for getting away with doing little or nothing at work? The only concret
Ryan Mcklain
smart & cynical, just not for the free spirited me
Helena
Tämä on pieni ja ohut kirja, mutta ehdin siitä huolimatta pitkästyä, koska yritysmaailman ihmeellisyydet eivät ole ihan minun juttuni. Joku aiempi lukija oli ollut kirjasta ilmeisesti enemmän tohkeissaan, kun oli pinkillä tussilla alleviivannut tekstejä lähes joka sivulta :)
Oli kirjassa toki huvittavia, tuttuja asioita, kuten sietämätön kapulakielisyys - siitä luin muutamia otteita perheenjäsenillekin ääneen.
Claude
Jan 21, 2008 Claude rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: miserable corporate employees
Things must be really bleak in France. Maybe in a country where 1 in 4 work for the government this rant of a book makes sense. Written by an economist at state-owned French utility, Electricité de France, this book rails against corporate conformity and mindless drudgery. I had to put the book down halfway through when I felt like i was stuck in a conversation with the kind of person who won't leave you alone until they convince you that your life just sucks. Sometimes it's better to just say " ...more
Gyrgyi
Corinne Maier cinikus hangvételű kötete görbe tükröt tart a munkahelyi helyzetről. Hát elég jól sikerült neki. Nem tudom nálunk mekkora sikerre számíthat. Érdekes volt elolvasni.
Lily
I'm embarrassed...this was too hard to understand. The basic gist was a kind of snarky, ironic look at office culture in France. But it was a whole lot of jargon and I just...didn't get it. I liked the parts about Americanisms seeping their way into French culture in general but especially into the office: "packaging" "benchmarking" "reporting" "merging" "downsizing" (all said in a French accent). On to the next.
Michelle
I think everyone should read this! No matter your view..
I can not help but to think of the differences between Edith Wharton (Having just finished The House of Mirth) and Corinne Miller. The differences in 100 hears, yet the amazing similarities concerning women in the workplace and views about women in general.
In some ways, the more things change, the more they stay the same. We just wear different clothing.
Interesting. All just really interesting. Food to ponder.
Natasa
Fantastic, why didn't I read this book 10 years ago?
Izabella
I like cynicism. I appreciate a business book that has a cynical perspective. But this one is just too negative. Maier just has way too much bitterness about her years spent working in business and it spills out on every page. It would have been better if the same message was presented more matter-of-fact with less rhetoric and less of a "the business world hates you, hates you, hates you" angle. A draining read.
Judie Hatton
If you don't like the corporate world.....get out. I'm not convinced working for a non profit company is any different. I think the author has a horribly negative attitude about the corporate world. It certainly isn't perfect, but has a lot of benefits too. Go work for yourself if you can't get along with those in the corporate world.
Jose Manuel
Una crítica mordaz a la jerarquía de trabajo en las grandes empresas y el absurdo con el que promueven y motivan a los trabajadores. Toda una apología del derecho a la pereza.
phoenix
Quelques chouettes phrases, drôle, mais pour le reste pas vraiment de contenu utile. Sert plus à se défouler / soulager en lisant quelque chose de reconnaissable et de rire un peu au 3ème degré. Permet quand même de prendre un peu de recul.

Sinistrose est un bon mot qui s'accorde à la couverture.
Angela Gaudencio
Esse é um livro divertido e leve. Você não vai encontrar grandes elucubrações ou mesmo descrições históricas ou análises sociológicas de tirar o fôlego e fazer você mudar sua visão de mundo. É um livro simples para entretenimento. Enfim, gostei muito e já li umas duas vezes. Não falhou em me fazer rir. :D
Lindsay
So far this book has me laughing so hard. Especially the part about what a crock corporate companies are when they use the "work smarter, not harder" philosophy! Reminds me of the last crappy job I just left!!
Rose
Mar 15, 2008 Rose added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I enjoyed this critique of business, and would have enjoyed it more if I worked somewhere in which slacking would only let down the company. Still, it was a good dose of reality and an amusing read.
Connie
Maybe it's due to the translation... but I didn't like it. I had high hopes too. But I felt like the author was trying too hard to be funny. For a very short book, it was hard for me to finish.
Rosi
Polemisch und zynisch ohne Ende, aber es hat mich mehrfach zum Lachen gebracht und daran erinnert, dass man alles - vor allem aber sich selbst - nicht immer allzu ernst nehmen braucht.
  • The Complete Polysyllabic Spree
  • How to Be Idle
  • The Hedonism Handbook: Mastering The Lost Arts Of Leisure And Pleasure
  • Schott's Food and Drink Miscellany
  • Net Smart: How to Thrive Online
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Novel Interiors: Living in Enchanted Rooms Inspired by Literature
  • How to Work for an Idiot: Survive & Thrive Without Killing Your Boss
  • Managing in the Next Society
  • Age of Access: The New Culture of Hypercapitalism, Where All of Life is a Paid-for Experience
  • Living Alone and Loving It
  • The Fox Effect: How Roger Ailes Turned a Network into a Propaganda Machine
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments
  • Mental Hygiene: Better Living Through Classroom Films 1945-1970
  • Megatrends 2000
  • Pretending You Care: The Retail Employee Handbook
  • Mommy Knows Worst: Highlights from the Golden Age of Bad Parenting Advice
  • Check, Please!: Dating, Mating, & Extricating
Corinne Maier,est psychanalyste à Bruxelles et à Paris et essayiste.

Ses essais s'attaquent au travail, à la famille et à la patrie. Plusieurs de ses publications se jouent de la langue de bois contemporaine qui uniformise les discours. Psychanalyste, économiste, sociologue et historienne, elle est l'auteur de livres fortement inspirés par Jacques Lacan, Roland Barthes et Michel Foucault. Elle est
More about Corinne Maier...
No Kids: 40 Good Reasons Not to Have Children Freud: Une Biographie Dessinée Marx Tchao la France Intello Academy