Start by marking “The Joy of Laziness: Why Life Is Better Slower � and How to Get There” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Laziness: Why Life Is Better Slower � and How to Get There

The Joy of Laziness: Why Life Is Better Slower � and How to Get There

Drawing on both scientific and anecdotal sources, the authors of "The Joy of Laziness" argue that the much-admired Type A lifestyle of intense exercise, frantic activity, and overwork is detrimental to health and long life.
Published September 19th 2003 by Hunter House

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Laziness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Laziness

Jenny Karraker
Aug 28, 2015 Jenny Karraker rated it liked it
I picked up this book 8 years ago at the IUP campus bookshop and never read it. it was more scientific than what I thought it would be. The authors presented much scientific evidence explaining why we should slow down, exercise moderately (vs the extreme programs that seem to have captured our imagination now), and eat less (like Michael Pollan suggests). I like how they categorize people as owls (who stay up late and drag in the morning) or larks (who get up early and go to bed early). They sug ...more
Meredith
Jan 27, 2013 Meredith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
If you are the sort of person who regularly puts yourself through what most of us consider extremely unpleasant to hellish activities (rising at the crack of dawn, taking cold showers, keeping your house cold, spending hours pounding the pavements, etc) in the belief or hope that this will help you to live long enough after your retirement to make your hectic life spent on the career treadmill worthwhile, the examples of runners dropping dead of heart attacks in this book may be just what you ne ...more
Lynn
May 02, 2012 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few contradictions in the beginning few chapters. For instance they wrote that those with little or no exercise conserve more life energy. Yet later on they still mentioned about regular exercise.

They also mentioned vigorous exercise is the main cause of heart attacks, and that athletes tend to die young.

It does make me feel so much better for lying down and relaxing whenever. Apparently "life energy" is measured in calories, similar to the scale people use to measure weight loss and food inta
Akanksha
Apr 06, 2014 Akanksha rated it it was ok
I started reading this book with a lot of expectations , but somehow i really did not enjoy it much.. Though this book introduces few things which can be kept in mind to lead a better life but still i couldnt conclude that the theory we believed in till now is faulty. It presents a totally different analysis . I guess both the theories should have been taken into account, considering the pros and cons of both and then a definite conclusion could have been made.
Akanksha Soneja
Apr 06, 2014 Akanksha Soneja rated it it was ok
Gina
Feb 17, 2011 Gina rated it liked it
There is definitely some faulty science and logic at play here, however, it was an interesting read that provided me with a good deal fo "food for thought" about how to approach relaxation, food, exercise, and life in general.
Betsy
Betsy rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2008
Hilary Jackson
Hilary Jackson rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Callie Carling
Callie Carling rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2010
Leni
Leni rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Valentina
Valentina rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2013
Luis Jelenszky
Luis Jelenszky rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2009
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2008
Lalida
Lalida rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2010
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2011
Bozhena
Bozhena rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2017
Abhishek Thipparthi
Abhishek Thipparthi rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2010
Jessica Bennett
Jessica Bennett rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2011
Herna
Herna rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2013
Claire Whiteway
Claire Whiteway rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Gaurav Tiwari
Gaurav Tiwari rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Tanupam
Tanupam rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Emma Tangel
Emma Tangel rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Yks
Yks rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2011
Janet
Janet rated it did not like it
Sep 19, 2008
Robert
Robert rated it did not like it
Nov 06, 2013