Start by marking “Are You Dave Gorman?” as Want to Read:
Are You Dave Gorman?

Are You Dave Gorman?

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  3,401 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
After a heavy night of tequila, flatmates Dave and Danny set off on what turns out to be a 24,000-mile journey to meet all the other Dave Gormans in the world. They visit Scotland, Israel, America, France and Ireland. They even hold a party in London where 50 Dave Gormans attend, including two women who have kindly changed their name via deed-poll. Silly, but engrossing, f ...more
Published July 4th 2002 by Ebury (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Are You Dave Gorman?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You Dave Gorman?

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisBossypants by Tina FeyDress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David SedarisNaked by David SedarisRunning with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
Humorous Memoirs and Non-Fiction
96th out of 487 books — 919 voters
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverThe Year of Living Biblically by A.J. JacobsThe Know-It-All by A.J. JacobsA Year at the Movies by Kevin MurphyWalden by Henry David Thoreau
Memoirs of Experiments
10th out of 105 books — 47 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 02, 2009 Carys rated it it was amazing
Funniest book I've ever read. Follows Dave Gorman, noted comic, travelling round the world maxing out his credit cards for the sake of a drunken bet that he can't meet 50 people called Dave Gorman. Funny as hell.
Matthew Barnes
Jan 21, 2016 Matthew Barnes rated it it was amazing
So funny!
Dane Cobain
Sep 12, 2014 Dane Cobain rated it it was amazing
This is probably the funniest of Gorman’s books to date, quite possibly because it’s co-written with his ex-flatmate Danny Wallace, a man who’s equally well-known as Dave is for his entertaining personality and his desire to go off on weird adventures, the likes of which we can only dream about.

In this book, Danny and Dave travel around the world trying to meet 54 other people called Dave Gorman, purely because a drunken bet between the two men got a *little* out of hand. The concept behind the
Nicola Muzsla
Jul 09, 2012 Nicola Muzsla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I've been wanting to read this book ever since I stumbled across a review in a book in the library (called 300 must reads for young adults or something similar).
It's essentialy the story of Dave Gorman & his flatmate Danny Wallace, how they got very drunk one night, got into an argument about the amount of Dave Gormans in the world (one was met once whilst waiting for a taxi) and the next morning found themselves in East Fife to see the assistant manager of the East Fife football club, na
Michael King
Oct 22, 2013 Michael King rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Firstly I would like to say how nice it was to read such a bizarrely written piece of work, not only are you getting two authors for the price of one (I got mine from the library), it is a really nice piece of documented work, I really liked the pictures of the 54 Gormen. That being said I enjoyed the writing style bouncing between Danny Wallace and Dave Gorman and to be honest I was not even put off by the change in fonts one that is ‘bold, rather confident’ type face and the other ‘relaxed, mo ...more
Jul 28, 2011 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember when I came across the series one dreary night when it was first aired... I'd missed the first episode but watched from the second one onwards as this seeming madman spoke about his adventure to find his namesakes. I remember asking myself if this was some great facade and whether him and his flat-mate were crazy but I found it hilarious and had to keep watching and realised quite how real the whole situation was!

I had been intending to read this book for a long time (and have his oth
Apr 15, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
I absolutely loved this book - it was so funny and the premise was crazy, and yet really worked well. I loved the pictures of all 54 Dave's and have to give credit to the five who agreed to change their names by deed-poll. Fantastic.

Inspired by this book, I decided to do my own search (albeit for free and with the help of google!) and found the following people who share my name:
1 an old character in Emmerdale (ok, fictional, but kind of counts!)
2 a food writer for Gourmet magazine
3 a solicitor,
Nov 02, 2012 Tim rated it liked it
Shelves: electronic
This is a fun travelogue by Dave Gorman and his best mate, drunken bet making buddy, and, at the time, flatmate Danny Wallace. The book alternates between the two authors as they describe the Tequila fuelled bet that Dave Gorman couldn't find loads of other Dave Gormans. They start in the Spring of 2000 with the Assistant Manager of East Fife Football Club, who turns out to have a son also called Dave Gorman.

Soon the bet is refined to find 54 Dave Gormans (or Dave Gormen) and the pair are criss-
A crazy challenge sealed by a bet. Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace set off in search of 54 Dave Gormans. Why? Well Why not? I had stumbled across the challenge when I caught a bit of a TV programme about it but did not know the whole story. It was enough to whet my appetite and one of thee first books I bought on my kindle though I have only just got around to reading it. Dave and Danny co-wrote the book which enables the reader to see things from both men's point of view.... The obsessive Dave an ...more
Basil D
Feb 02, 2014 Basil D rated it really liked it
Notes to self and other goodreaders:

Dave Gorman's writing, oddly enough seeing as he's a comedian, isn't as funny as Danny Wallace's. This may be because his quest has no real 'evolution' - he decides to find other Dave Gormans and he does so. When it comes to Gormans, he has a rather blinkered world view.
Danny Wallace, on the other hand, goes through an awful lot during his flatmate's quest, and I enjoyed his version of events more consistently. I guess the thing with Dave is, he explains why h
Nicky Robinson
Jul 05, 2014 Nicky Robinson rated it really liked it
A long time Danny Wallace fan I thought I'd give his buddy Dave Gorman a go as I had heard good things about this book. It turns out this was co-written, and was a typical mischief making adventure that you'd expect from Danny and his crew. I have always enjoyed the reflections on London life in your 20's from these guys. The story itself was about meeting a set number of people named Dave Gorman as a result of a bet, and was adventureful because at the time it was still a world of phone books a ...more
Dec 31, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
A detailed account of Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace's adventure. Every little bit is included from each cup of tea to each foreign country. I really enjoyed this book because there was never a dull moment. Always a new Dave Gorman to find at every corner. I especially loved reading about their trips to New York. Israel, Norway, France, Italy and Germany. I recommend this book for a change - a good change at that. I have to admit, this book was very refreshing in comparison to the usual teenage f ...more
Steve Mitchell
Jul 29, 2011 Steve Mitchell rated it it was amazing
When a pair of flatmates get into a drunken argument about how many people there are in the world called Dave Gorman there is really only one sensible course of action to take. This book does not describe that; it describes two men allowing an obsessive quest to meet fifty-four different Dave Gormans - that's one for every card in the deck if you include the jokers - begins to take over and ruin their lives and and those of their families. Do not attempt to read this book in public as you will b ...more
Mar 02, 2016 Karen rated it did not like it
I didn't really enjoy this book and can't think of anyone is recommend it to. For some reason I was drawn to finish it, which must have been for the occasional snippet written by Danny Wallace that I did find laugh out loud funny. It was also quite amusing to read the way they wrote about the internet and email at a time when the technology was still new. Turns out though, I just didn't get Dave Gorman's sense of humour, nor do I feel inspired to find 50 of my own namesakes. Maybe that's because ...more
Part travelogue, part description of a drunken bet - this is about stand-up comedian (and writer) Dave Gorman's trek to find 54 other Dave Gormans.

It's written as a sort of dual memoir of the bet alternating between Gorman's reminiscences and those of his companion in all this: Danny Wallace.

It's hilarious at times, and generally interesting, but I'd have preferred a little more - well, I'm not sure. I can't quite put my finger on it.

But it is well worth a read, even if it's not quite as good as
Jun 26, 2010 Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour, non-fiction
A drunken bet leads two flatmates living in London to seeking 54 males with the name Dave Gorman. And so begins one of the funniest books you'll ever read with one of the great bromances of our time. While reading this, women will wryly shake their heads at all the exasperating yet strangely endearing bloke stuff and any male readers between the ages of 18-40 will knowingly identify with the authors.
Alex S
Aug 18, 2013 Alex S rated it really liked it
What makes the challenge in this book (and in the Googlewhack Adventure for that matter) quite amusing is that Gorman's available resources were limited by today's standards. Social networking nowadays would have made the bet of finding 54 namesakes too easy.

The addition of Danny's voice really helped develop a good pace and provided balance to Dave's exuberance with hints of the journalist in him underscoring Danny's narration.
Nov 04, 2011 Sorcha added it
Shelves: 2005, non-fiction
Danny Wallace makes a bet with his friend Dave Gorman that he will not be able to find at least 50 other "Dave Gorman"s (or Gormen). [return][return]This book (and the subsequent TV program presented by Gorman) tells of how and where Dave finds the other Daves, and some of the more "unique" Daves that he comes across.[return][return]This is an easy and humerous book to read, giving a brief look into other people's lives united by one specific trate
A weird bet, but then a bet is a bet, as Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace prove.

Why am I giving this 4 stars? I'm not entirely sure - the book doesn't work as a travelogue - details of the places are sketchy, as are the descriptions of the Dave Gormans they meet.

However the preposterous pretext of the book works in an indescriabable way, and the humour shot through it works beautfully.
Feb 20, 2011 Lexi rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The more Danny Wallace I read, the more I want to read. And now I'll have to check out some of Dave Gorman's stuff as well. This one took a while to really grab me, but once it did, it was great - a sillier premise than some of the others, perhaps, but still fun and enjoyable. Definitely worth reading.
Maciej Baron
Jan 05, 2015 Maciej Baron rated it really liked it
This book is about a lot of people named Dave Gorman. And it's very, very funny.

Wallace's writing is better than Gorman's, even though it is a book about "him", however both of them definitely know what they're doing.

Their journey is very entertaining. It does slow down a bit towards the end but overall it was a very enjoyable read.
May 29, 2007 Elliott rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to laugh.
This is book is so good my girlfriend won't let me have it back. It revolves around two English guys who travel the world looking for people with the same name as the co-author, Dave Gorman.

A warm and hillarious tale, this is definatley a book for those who enjoy a laugh. The two narratives of the story combine brilliantly to leave the reader with a smile on their face for many days to come.
Sep 12, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
I'm a long-term fan of Gorman (and his sidekick Danny Wallace), but it took me a long time to get round to reading the book that made his name.

The devotion to duty, and the mental imbalance required, to spend months seeking out Dave Gormans from around the world is an endeavour that few would try, and fewer still could relay in such amusing fashion.
Ian Rees
Aug 24, 2013 Ian Rees rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A good holiday read - entertaining and not to be taken too seriously. At times, I did feel they were trying to hard to be funny, and it doesn't always work when you are reading it on your own as opposed to them delivering the same lines to an audience who are in a silly mood. But enjoyable nevertheless.
Jan 12, 2013 Dami rated it liked it
Perhaps the first in the series chronologically of Danny Wallace's wacky adventures it is understandably not the most enjoyable one, but certainly quite entertaining, especially towards the end (view spoiler).
Mar 07, 2010 Rita rated it really liked it
I'd seen the TV show but hadn't read the book. I didn't realise it was written by Dave Gorman & Danny Wallace. It's interesting to get both view points. Very funny book. This must be a bloke thing, I can't see women doing something like this.
Aug 05, 2007 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: humor
One of the funniest, stupidest, blokeyest, craziest things I've ever heard of, and written with a fantastic wry sense of humor, this book is a classic. I won't spoil it, but this is what happens when friends let friends get carried away...
Aug 06, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I found this dragged a bit at first but once I properly sat down to read it I sped through it as it was actually very very funny. I have already read Yes Man by Danny Wallace (and would recommend) and will be seeking out more books of his/Dave's to read.
Jun 01, 2013 Louise rated it really liked it
I've read quite a lot of Danny Wallace's books before and one of Dave Gorman's, so I knew what to expect from this. Very funny at times and both of them bounce well off each other. I doubt many people could write such a good read about a name.
Jan 01, 2012 A.J. rated it liked it
A lot of laugh-out-loud moments, but an overall impression of 'these guys are a pair of complete kids'. Grown men, who order hot dogs when they visit Italy and who get take-away omelettes. Take-away omelettes. I mean, seriously? I didn't know you could even do that.
  • Join Me!
  • It's Only a Movie
  • Rebus's Scotland
  • The Call of the Weird: Travels in American Subcultures
  • The Wrong Way Home
  • How Not to Grow Up!: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
David James Gorman is an English author, stand-up comedian and presenter. He has performed comedy shows on stage in which he tells stories of extreme adventures and presents the evidence to the audience in order to prove to them that they are true stories. He was a stand-up comedian before he became famous for Are You Dave Gorman?, then took a break from normal stand-up. He returned to stand-up in ...more
More about Dave Gorman...

“We could end up with the world's first Mr and Mrs Dave and Dave Gorman-Gorman!” 0 likes