Start by marking “Heavyweight” as Want to Read:

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Secrets. Their weight can be crushing, but their release can change everything—and not necessarily for the better. Ian is no stranger to secrets. Being a gay teen in a backwater southern town, Ian must keep his orientation under wraps, especially since he spends a lot of time with his hands all over members of the same sex, pinning their sweaty, hard bodies to the wrestlin ...more
Published January 23rd 2014 by Harmony Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Heavyweight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heavyweight

A Case of Possession by K.J. CharlesAlways by Kindle AlexanderBroken Pieces by Riley HartBall & Chain by Abigail RouxStay by Riley Hart
Best M/M Romance Published in 2014
232nd out of 642 books — 1,480 voters
Something Like Summer by Jay BellAristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SáenzGives Light by Rose ChristoTurning 16 by Perie WolfordMemorizing You by Dan Skinner
Best Gay Novels for Young Adults
96th out of 165 books — 347 voters

More lists with this book...

For me, the most intriguing thing about Heavyweight was Ian: a young guy who's struggling with both his sexuality and an eating disorder. And the wrestling part wasn't half bad, either.

I liked Ian a lot. He's a respectable, socially aware 17-year-old, and I thought his bravado and youth were pretty authentic. Ian is biding his time until he can head off to college—both to escape his alcoholic father and the confines of his small-minded hometown. Though he's not out, Ian knows he's gay, so things
I haven’t had a lot of good experiences with YA titles recently. That Heavyweight wasn’t about an abusive situation made it stand out for me as something different. Plus a friend has been posting some very sexy photos of wrestlers on Facebook! I have a close friend whose son wrestled for seven years in school. I really tried to not notice his body, I really did, until he was 18. But man, I can’t imagine what it would have been like for a gay teenage boy to be rolling around with him all sweaty. ...more
Not quite 4 stars, but more than 3.

As far as YA novels go, this was pretty good, heart wrenchingly good at times.
Ian's desperation to escape his drunk, abusive father and the small, narrow minded town he grew up in, and the measures he's willing to take in order to leave as soon as possible are utterly well portrayed, narrated.

The tentative, developing, blossoming love between Ian and Jules is sweet and lovely.

But I gotta say that the high school's, the teacher's and the town's reaction in gen
Joyfully Jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

The strength of this young adult novel is that it deals with heavy themes that are often ignored, and does it well. Eating disorders are often explored in novels, but very seldom with males, even though it is not that uncommon in young adult males, especially amongst wrestlers who are trying to maintain a certain weight class. Mulhall does a wonderful job of exploring the psyche of this underrepresented group of people and showing how emotionally damaging it can b
Andrea M
So, I read the sample of this book and thought it was good but hadn't intended to buy it because of the price...however I accidentally clicked the wrong button and bought it and I am quite glad I did. This was a surprisingly good I read it in one's now nearly 3:15am but it was quite worth it. :)

I actually like all of the characters (well aside from the villains of the story) which is quite rare for me. So kudos to M.B. Mulhall!!

(view spoiler)

WOW!!! I absolutely loved this book. There were moments were I wanted to scream: STOP! Can't you see what you're doing to this wonderful human being? I almost cried at parts and I loved Jules and Mei Li! Great read!!!
Feb 03, 2014 Jenna rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m, sports, ya
This book was ok, but there were too many irritating things that kept me from really enjoying it. The first person present tense with the narrator directly addressing the reader just didn't work for me. That's a matter of personal preference though. The other problems were things I just couldn't reconcile in my mind.

The result of Ian's eating disorder didn't make sense to me. With his physical stats and level of exercise, he'd require well over 3000 calories per day just to maintain his weight.
3.5 stars.

Pros: Unusual subject matter for this genre and it was well handled, if pushed to the background more than I liked. It was refreshing to see that there were few 'magic' solutions: the eating disorder wasn't cured by the shock of hospitalisation, the mother didn't suddenly stand up to the father after years of abuse. Likable characters and nicely paced.

Cons: The reaction of the principal didn't ring true and it was quite jarring. It was overdramatic and disappointing. Yes, there are as
Rebecca (Vicariously!)
This is a hard review for me to write. The thing is? It should be hard. Eating disorders, racism, and homophobia should never be a light topic in any situation. This is a heavy book and, for a lot of people, it isn't going to be a their cup of tea. Perhaps the most distressing thing is that, for all that we talk about anti bullying? Hate is still alive and well in far too many lunch rooms. This is one of the better books I've read in the recent years that truly tackles these subjects. Immense in ...more
I had read another book by M.B. Mulhall and loved it. And though I pretty much sworn off reviewing gay literature in any form, I decided to give it a shot since I know and enjoy the fluidity of Mulhalls writing style. I enjoyed Heavyweight. It wasn't perfect, but it was very cute and had a lot of shining moments.

Ian is a wrestler in high school, and he has one goal in life, get a scholarship to get out of this small, narrow minded town. But of course things get derailed and once that happens, we
Really enjoyed the high school romance about a student who's in constant watch of his weight because it could mean a -unfavorable- change in his wrestling category, and the new kid in town.
Patricia Lynne
I received a PDF of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, but also own the paperback.

I first learned of this story when the author posted an excerpt on her blog. The plot intrigued me and I was eager to get my hands on it and read the whole story. I was not disappointed. Ian's struggle had me turning the pages quickly, scared things would fall apart and he wouldn't get a happy ending. Things did fall apart - real life isn't all rainbows and sunshine and the author did not s
Rynn Yumako
Loved this book.

I liked the voice the author decided to give Ian. He felt very real, both in the way he approached Julian, his own family, and his (mostly unrealized) eating disorder. The chemistry between Ian and Julian was one of the best part of this, but I also liked how easily Ian connected with Julian's sister, and how he found a new family by the end. I liked to hate Ian's father, and the physical confrontation between them and the consequent stay at the Yang's made for a nicely done hurt
DNF @ 34%.
To be honest, I thought the topic and setting of this book were really intriguing, especially after I realized it would be an (view spoiler) too.
The writing though... oh dear. I can only stomach a handful of "Who knew ... could be so sexy" sentences in one story. But when they constitute 90% of the MC's thoughts about his love interest, it's enough to become a major turn-off for me. Seems that I have no tolerance for teenage-speak anymore.
The whole
Ian was likable, troubled, but likable. Which was fortunate since this was told in first person. The supporting characters were great. For once, here is a YA with decent women in it. What ruins it are the men. Almost ever very single grown man, is a bigoted jerk. The exception was the coach. The entire town was a bigoted mess. I don't think the town was set in the 60's; it seemed contemporary so I find it hard to believe that a school could ban students for being gay. It just doesn't compute.
Lisa The Novel Approach
In a perfect storm of circumstance, Ian’s secrets escape. His family, best friend, teammates, classmates, even strangers all hate him now. He sees no way out of the hell that is his life. Jules, instead of being someone to fear, becomes a solace to Ian. His one and only soft place to fall.

See the entire review at The Novel Approach:
Michael Portrie
Many people simply don't believe that boys can suffer from eating disorders. This book is the first YA I have read that actually deals with this, I was impressed by the subject matter.
I enjoyed this because it touches ED in males, in athletes.

I enjoyed this because I'm from a small town. Because I can poignantly imagine the fear and hurt caused by being in a place like this and not being their normal.
It hurts because I can imagine this happening to people I know, to students I may teach.
I didn't want to give up the characters at the end.
This was a really great read. The characters are well-written and the story is solid. The main character is someone you can sympathize with, but also see his flaws.
This was...a YA book. Written like a YA book. Read like a YA book. It's been so long since I've read young adult, I think I forgot. So if I review it as a YA book, I'd give it 4 stars.
Regardless, It was good. I loved the story line.
4.5 Stars. Review to Come.
Dec 16, 2014 Armi marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
DNF @ 30 %.

Nothing worked for me nor did anything make me want to keep reading. Disappointed.
Nothing worked for me here. I am simply saturated with cheese YA romance and this one was going no different.

You know that typical high school story where a new student arrives and the MC develops a crush, etc. etc.? Well, the same simple plot here but with a homosexual aspect.

Take any YA about and make the two MCs males instead of heterosexuals.

I guess the big secret here is that Iqn hasn't come out of the closet? Will he come out for the new Asian guy who came to school and who takes Ian's br
Dec 27, 2013 Lucia marked it as to-read
Shelves: m-m
  • Safe
  • Not Broken, Just Bent
  • Ravages
  • Hat Trick (Hat Trick #1)
  • By the Creek
  • On the Right Track (Vocal Growth, #1)
  • A Broken Kind of Life
  • Forever. I Promise.
  • Tales from Foster High (Tales from Foster High, #1-3)
  • Play Me, I'm Yours
  • Wrestling with Desire (Wrestling #1)
  • Private Display of Affection
  • Pitch (Transitions, #1)
  • Last of the Summer Tomatoes (Young Love's Journey #1)
  • My Life as a Myth
  • This is Not a Love Story (Love Story Universe)
  • The Last Day Of Summer
  • Not Letting Go (Not Letting Go, #1)
MB Mulhall is an author and a budding photographer. When she’s not pecking away at her keyboard or looking at the world up close through her lens, she’s got her nose stuck in a book.

A Jersey girl, born and bred, she spends much of her time scouring the boardwalks for images to capture and conversations to overhear.

MB dreams of one day having at least one bookshelf filled with her own work and of
More about M.B. Mulhall...