Start by marking “Mabel and the Sock Pirates” as Want to Read:
Mabel and the Sock Pirates

Mabel and the Sock Pirates

Mabel is a cat who lives on a farm by the sea... but not just any old farm... Mabel's farm has some very special trees... Trees unlike you have ever seen before.

One day some rascally pirates sail by and decide to plunder and steal from the farm and Mabel must defend her precious trees and their unusual fruit.
Published December 23rd 2013

To ask other readers questions about Mabel and the Sock Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mabel and the Sock Pirates

How I Became a Pirate by Melinda LongPirates Don't Change Diapers by Melinda LongShiver Me Letters by June SobelThe Night Pirates by Peter HarrisThe Gingerbread Pirates by Kristin Kladstrup
Picture Books About Pirates
55th out of 72 books — 53 voters
I Want My Hat Back by Jon KlassenThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettTuesday Tucks Me In by Luis Carlos MontalvánSophie's Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller
Favorite MODERN Picture Books
280th out of 320 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

Melki
Aug 09, 2015 Melki rated it it was amazing
This story is, without doubt, the CUTEST PIRATE BOOK - EVER!

It's up to striped, bewhiskered Mabel to defend her pal's hosiery-sprouting trees from dastardly, sock-thieving pirates.

Great story, fun rhymes, a cute kitty and SWOON-WORTHY ARTWORK combine to make this one a winner
Urs
Feb 18, 2016 Urs rated it it was amazing

SOCKS! LOVE THIS! The illustrations are quite wonderful. :)
Kellie Turner
Jan 24, 2016 Kellie Turner rated it it was amazing
Fun picture book

It's a super cute story, and the illustrations are top notch. All three of my kids love it! I totally recommend it.
Jahnelle Seaman
Nov 01, 2016 Jahnelle Seaman rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute story.

The kids and I all enjoyed reading this book. The story was cute and the pictures were, too. Good read for the kids' library!
Dallas
Nov 27, 2014 Dallas rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any kid should like this book!
Shelves: children-s-books
This book has a really nice flow to it, with a rhythm that is easy to find and rhymes that are spot on without distracting from the story being told. The illustrations are super cute, with a whimsical style and gorgeous, rich colors. There are a few words in it that are longer and hard to sound out (like flourished and marvelous), and one word that has a British English spelling (chequered), but for the most part the vocabulary of the book is within the reach of a reader who is confident in his ...more
James D. Miller
Jan 25, 2016 James D. Miller rated it it was amazing
A Whimsical Adventure of a Courageous Kitten

This is a well crafted book. The vocabulary will expand your child's knowledge of words. The words are placed is a context, with rhythm, and pictures that immediately imply they're meaning. The illustrations and rhyme draw you into an adventure of valiant kitten defending his farmer's livelihood. This is a great bedtime book for younger children. But best of all, the story is fun. It makes you smile. Especially if you're an older child.
Andréa
Jan 02, 2014 Andréa rated it really liked it
It's an adorable book, but 2 typos (misspelling of "dastardly" as "darstadly" and a "let's" missing the apostrophe) and an occasionally excessive use of exclamation points detracted a bit from the experience for me. Still, it's a whimsical story with well-done illustrations that kids are sure to enjoy.
Elizabeth Neff
Apr 15, 2014 Elizabeth Neff rated it it was amazing
So with it

I thought this book was absolutely adorable, I read it over and over to my grandson and he gets very animated over it. I found it to be a very cute read, the rhythm was so soothing. I recommend this book to all those Grammie's out their who live to read to their grandkids.
Patricia Spagnoli
Jul 12, 2015 Patricia Spagnoli rated it it was amazing
Delightful

Mabel and the Sock. pirates by Elwyn Tate is absolutely delightful. Clever rhyming and colorful pictures kept .y two and a half year old grandson interested from beginning to end.
Cindy
Nov 22, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Quirky fun

I really enjoyed this little book. Farmer Bill and his cat Mabel live on a farm. Their favorite crop is the socks that grow on trees! Why do socks grow on trees? I have no idea, but it was funny. The cat is adorable too.
Amy Malek concepcion
Mar 28, 2016 Amy Malek concepcion rated it it was amazing
Love Mabel

My daughter absolutely loved this one. I did too. And yes there were some big words in there but I was happy to explain what they meant. Vocabulary building at it's best.
Renee
Jun 07, 2015 Renee rated it it was amazing
Very cute and fun

Got this for my 6 year old and he loves it. The story is very cute with good rhyming and lovely artwork. My son loves some of the fun words in it like "dastardly" and he's learning to read them now.
Sep 06, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
I love this book. It works so well as a digital/ebook. It is gender neutral which I like too, and has a wonderful sense of adventure. The artwork is good, the rhyming is good.
I wish it was available as hard copy so I could gift it to other people.
Laura-Lynne Smith
Jul 15, 2015 Laura-Lynne Smith rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked this book. First off the illustrations are adorable and second I enjoyed that the kitty saved the day. The rhyming was fun and the story was excellent. I'm sure this will become a favourite.
Helen Barrow
Feb 24, 2016 Helen Barrow rated it it was amazing
I read this loads to my son. I love both the way it rhymes and flows, in addition to just being an entertaining story.
I have gone so far as to actively recommended this to friends (mostly those with kids).
Judy
Mar 17, 2016 Judy marked it as to-read
All of Elwyn Tate's books are great reads with terrific illustrations. My grandsons who are 3 and 5 years old love these books. They are also very reasonably price. We are anxiously awaiting the third dinosaur book, My Allosaur Has Lost His Roar.
Martin Tiller
Aug 08, 2015 Martin Tiller rated it really liked it
Wonderful

Here is an imaginative story about a cat. There are great illustrations. A wonderfully silly and creative story. A great story to read aloud. Will read more from this Author.
Nomad309earthlink.net
Sep 05, 2015 Nomad309earthlink.net rated it it was amazing
My granddaughter really LOVES the sock pirates.

This is a funny, sweet rhyming story with professional quality illustrations. My granddaughter, who is six likes me to read it to her whenever I visit with my Kindle Fire.
Zaz
Dec 04, 2015 Zaz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A story about a farmer, his cat and socks growing on trees. The pirates comes to steal the socks! The story was cute and entertaining. I totally loved the art and the efforts made in playing with the text (how it's written on the page and how it rhymes). Really charming!
Denise
Jun 13, 2015 Denise rated it it was amazing
Super CUTE story book for little ones. In the Kindle Unlimited books right now. Read this to my girls tonight, and they loved it.
Renee Delcourt
Mar 17, 2015 Renee Delcourt rated it it was amazing
This was so cute

I think I need the hard cover. We really liked the illustrations and the story line was adorable. Loved it.
Mummy
Jan 24, 2016 Mummy rated it it was amazing
Delightful rhymes

A lovely story available for free on Unlimited. Superb pictures and great characters. Love the rhymes as it makes a super bedtime story for my little girl
Kathy Cruz
Mar 29, 2014 Kathy Cruz rated it it was amazing
Too cute!!!

This book will definitely make you giggle. The pictures are very cute, perfect for little readers & their parents too!!!
Bettie Campbell
Mar 29, 2014 Bettie Campbell rated it it was amazing
Review by my five year old

It was wonderful! I like cats. It was a baby cat. I like that the cat was brave and saved the socks.
Benny Baez
May 31, 2015 Benny Baez rated it liked it
Pretty cool

Would have given it four stars had there been a lesson to the story. Nonetheless it had a good place to it. An entertaining read.
kacie
Apr 07, 2016 kacie rated it it was amazing
Lovely and bold, a treasure to be told!

So cute and fun to read, beautifully illustrated as well
Amy Paul
Aug 24, 2016 Amy Paul rated it it was amazing
Fun book

Our favorite book! Colorful fun story with a great selection of words not used every day! We love the art work. I hope they make a printed version.

Aubree
Jan 20, 2015 Aubree rated it it was amazing
Super cute!

Loved this cute little story! Fun for me and my daughter especially since we love cats! The illustration is wonderful.
Tracy
Jan 20, 2016 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Good book!

My son is 4, so I read him the majority of this book. He loved it, as well as my 2 year old did. Great illustrations as well.
Andrew
Oct 02, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing
A cute story with wonderful artwork

A joy to read and to look at. A short enough story for a quick bedtime read, with fun and imaginative scenes to jumpstart dreams.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • My Son, the Time Traveler (The Zack Files #8)
  • The Day My Mommy QUIT!
  • Shotgun Saturday Night (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #2)
  • A New Friend (The Adventures of Sophie Mouse, #1)
  • Holocaust House
  • The Littlest Pirate King
  • The Snail Who Forgot The Mail
  • Nile Style: Egyptian Cuisine and Culture: Ancient Festivals, Significant Ceremonies, and Modern Celebrations
  • War-Bringer (Twinborn Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Or Else My Lady Keeps the Key
  • Don't Know Jack (Cape High, #4)
  • Pirates
  • Goodnight, Little Monster
  • Young Lord of Khadora (Forgotten Legacy, #1)
  • The Princess Priscilla's Fortnight