Start by marking “In the Dark” as Want to Read:
In the Dark

In the Dark

A woman drawn into a dangerous game. A man who may not be what he seems. Passion raises the stakes in Sally Eggert’s electrifying novel of deception and desire.

Josie Nielsen’s anonymous life as a bartender is a world away from her classified job at a covert agency—and the terrifying night she was almost killed for her country’s secrets. That was the night Josie found out t
Published January 28th 2014 by Loveswept (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about In the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dark

Pat
Feb 15, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Dark......Sally Eggert

If your looking for a romantic suspense novel, In the Dark has it all. A love story about two people who don't want to love, dark intrigue swirling around them, and so many lies and twists in their journey.

Josie Nielsen is a former government employee for an agency that has lots of secrets. She sat at her desk, doing her boring job, definitely not involved in any of those secrets. Until one night, some one she trusted, thought she loved, betrayed her and she nearly
A
Jun 19, 2014 A rated it really liked it
I went into this book with an open mind. I hadn't read anything by this author before, but the summary sounded cool. It has the perfect amount of mystery and some hot romance. Oh man I would love to take a round or two with Johnny. This book made me ignore sleep so I could finish it. :)

I started it and quickly finished it. I needed to know the full story and what the character's involvement in that story. This story did not disappoint. Josie, is an amusing character with a jaded past but a quic
Tina Wainscott
Dec 18, 2013 Tina Wainscott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I had the pleasure of reading this early. In the Dark starts innocently enough, with Josie casually dating bad boy charmer Johnny, suspecting that he's into some bad business. But all she wants for the time being is distraction, and she knows she won't fall for Johnny. Well, that's the intent anyway! As things look darker and more dangerous, she finds herself falling deeper into both Johnny and a situation in which she has to tread a very fine line.

Since this is a romance, you know that there's
Bea
I made it to 54% but it was struggle, I was forcing myself to continue so I gave up. I couldn't connect with any of the leads, there was little action, some suspense, but I just couldn't get into it.
Petra Grayson
Sad to say, I just couldn't read this whole book. It dragged and dragged and dragged. I knew within 30 pages who was the good guy and the bad guy. And I was so upset that the heroine asked no questions and really didn't care about finding out anything. She was simply Too Stupid To Live, in my mind. I felt like I read for ages and was only 17% through the book.

I liked the writing enough that I couldn't just leave the story altogether, so I skimmed a lot and read the last 30 pages too. I felt the
Kathy Altman
Mar 12, 2014 Kathy Altman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First-time author Sally Eggert rocks the romantic suspense genre with this deep, dark, gritty tale that is so well-crafted, so full of the sinister and unexpected, you'll have a tough time dragging yourself back into your everyday world. What's especially unique and captivating about this story is the heroine — in the beginning, she's not heroic at all. She fled her former life and the traumatic event that stole her ability to trust, and now leads a mostly monotone existence, the only color ...more
Laura Greenwood

Title: In the Dark
Author: Sally Eggert
From: Netgalley
Genre: Suspense, Romance
Release Date: 28th January 2014
Challenges: Winter COYER 2015-2016, 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 Blogger Shame
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When Josie escaped from her desk job at the Agency she wanted nothing more to do with that kind of life. Living in a small apartment above the bar she now works in the most danger she expects is from looking the other way about
Goose
Feb 22, 2014 Goose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, emotionally real characters, spot-on dialogue, and an exciting plot make for a really satisfying read.

After a near-death experience, Josie has cut ties with her past life working for a government agency and has dropped out of society, working as a bartender and carrying on a purely physical relationship with Johnny Boyer, a small-time criminal that frequents her bar. Josie is just starting to admit to herself that she might actually have feelings for Johnny when she overhears him on the p
Emsy Van Wyck
Review: Four stars for In the Dark, a page-turning, suspenseful read from Sally Eggert

One of the reasons I’m a fan of romantic suspense as it serves as the bridge between my love of mysteries and romance novels. The adrenaline rush that readers (and I) receive when an author has us wrapped up in the characters and story is not to be missed, so I’m always on the lookout for new titles and authors in this genre.

IN THE DARK: A Loveswept Romantic Suspense by Sally Eggert is one of these titles. I’ll
Charlie
Jan 28, 2014 Charlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Provided an ARC for honest review

Where to begin, interesting enough story with good development of characters. I was able to pick up on the fact that Peter would be bad and Johnny would be good purely based on the development of the character and I was siding with Johnny. I tend not to like bad guys in books, oddly enough because in movies I tend to love them.

Josie's dilemma I thought hit home for someone who heart and mind are at war. This book portrayed the struggle of being in love with some
Yazmin
Jun 02, 2014 Yazmin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
InThe Dark by Sally Eggert, Josie Nielsen lives an anonymous life as a bartender. She used to work for a covert agency that kept lots of secrets, not that she knew any of them since she had a boring desk job. But one night someone she trusted and thought she loved betrayed her and got her almostkilled. So she packed her life and moved to a small room above the bar where she now works at.

Her life is monotonous and simple, but that is the way she wants it. She wants nothing that can put her in th
Aussie Jo
Aug 27, 2014 Aussie Jo rated it did not like it
Shelves: don-t-bother
Good premise but failed to have pace.
I felt the story was a great idea but at about 30% of the way through not much had happened and I was wondering if it ever would.
There were a lot of fleshing out of each situation where I kept zoning out and thinking of things other than the book. There were good meaningful words but there was just too many of them and the story needed to move faster.
It was 39% before anything real happened, but even then it was all few and far between.
The paragraphs were so
Zarith dol
ARC given by netgalley for an honest review.
It is a fast paced story filled with anticipation and adrenalin. I love the heroine although sometimes she is a gulible. Johnny, I loved him all the way. Eventhough he is the bad guy (or so), can't help rooting him. He is like the prince of darkness but in the good way. The plot kind a lost to me half the way, but the characters kept me going. A good story but need to be read on your off day just to keep up the pace. recommended
JoMarie DeGioia
I really liked the characters and thought the storyline was very intriguing. The pace was sluggish for me. There seemed to be a lot of time when the heroine was thinking. And thinking. I skimmed through the last third of the book but still needed to find out what happened to these story people. I would read this author again.
Angela
Aug 09, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it had so many twists and turns it could have easily got confusing but i found it relatively easy to follow i liked josie and johnny from the beginning and loved what the author did with them will look forward to reading more from this author.
Melissa
Feb 18, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great read. Josie is trying to start over after everything has happened to her and now she doesn't know who to trust anymore herself or some people she just meet. She finds out along the way that not everybody is who they say they are and it just might be to late to turn back now.
Ellen Hampton
Feb 24, 2014 Ellen Hampton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snappy dialogue, scintillating sex, romantic suspense the way it's meant to happen. Sally Eggert is a talent to watch!
Rock Chick
Rock Chick rated it did not like it
Feb 15, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
BookFlirt
BookFlirt rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Daniel Tfm
Daniel Tfm rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2013
beverly j. wisch
beverly j. wisch rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Mel
Mel rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2016
HeatherIlene
HeatherIlene rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Beau
Beau rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Jean Fanelli
Jean Fanelli rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Burtsell44
Burtsell44 rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2014
JG
JG rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2014
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2014
7192391
I first began writing romance as an escape when I was in law school. By the time graduation rolled around, I knew that the law was not for me. So, four days before I was scheduled to take the bar exam, I jumped ship. I am a two-time finalist in the Romantic Suspense category of Romance Writers of America’s® Golden Heart® contest, and am a member of RWA, Washington Romance Writers, The Golden ...more
More about Sally Eggert...