Start by marking “Read a Rhyme, Write a Rhyme” as Want to Read:
Read a Rhyme, Write a Rhyme

Read a Rhyme, Write a Rhyme

When Jack Prelutksy posted the first couplet of a funny poem on a Web site and invited children to finish it, he expected about 100 responses. He got thousands. Now he has come up with an anthology of poems on 10 popular subjects by well-known poets and combined it with his own “poemstarts.” Included with each poemstart are suggestions for various ways the reader might con ...more
Published October 11th 2005 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Read a Rhyme, Write a Rhyme, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Read a Rhyme, Write a Rhyme

Kelly Hobbs
Mar 24, 2016 Kelly Hobbs rated it it was amazing
Jack Prelutsky is brilliant! As he is known as a writer who engages children in his fun-loving poetry, this book engages them in writing poetry as well! In this book, he presents a few short poems on different themes (birthdays, bugs, friends, etc.) and along with the poems he has also created what he calls "poemstarts" relating to the themes. These poemstarts allow children to get their wheels turning and write their own poems about what they know or have experienced about these topics.

Personal
Natalie Rudolph
Mar 17, 2016 Natalie Rudolph rated it really liked it
Read a Rhyme, Write a Rhyme (2005) Poems selected by Jack Prelutsky and Illustrated by Meilo So
This picture book is composed of a set of poems on ten different themes, including birthdays, bugs, food and friends. Each page has darling, rhyming poems matching the themes. For instance, under the topic of turtles, there are three different poems, “The Box Turtle, “A Turtle with a Tiny Head,” and “Turtle Trouble.” Additionally, each page has a poemstart. A poemstart is when the author of the picture
Clare Santos-Gacad
May 03, 2015 Clare Santos-Gacad rated it really liked it
This poem is a collection of poems written by children that were sent to Jack Prelutsky. Each page is about a certain topic and Prelutsky adds his own poemstarts which are suggestions for various ways the reader might continue the poem or write their own poem.

This is an awesome poetry book since it explores different types of poetry as well as allows readers to grab a pencil and make their own poems or complete the ones on the poemstarts. It has bright illustrations that draws attention to the
Anna Frame
Feb 24, 2015 Anna Frame rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction- This book is awesome. Its engaging and entertaining. I think kids would love to read this.

Purposes:
Read aloud to 2nd grade students
-enrichment and enjoyment due to the interaction that is provided by the author
-bright illustrations draws attention to the poetry on each page

Curriculum: read aloud/individually
-this has great ways of practicing rhyme
-this also has students/readers start writing parts of poems by finishing the last line of one of the authors
-each poem is different
Travis Kesinger
This book is great!! I think students would really enjoy this book. I really enjoy the extra "poemstarts" to help students begin to write their own poetry.

Purposes:
Read aloud to 2nd grade students as a beginning to a poetry unit where they are expected to write their own basic poem
The illustrations draw readers in and help to explain what is a sometimes hard subject for students to comprehend.
Each poem is different and that emphasizes that students will be able to express themselves freely in
Katie Fitzgerald
This is a unique collection of poems in that there is no unifying theme. Rather, each page has a theme of its own. Three published poems appear on each spread, accompanied by a "poemstart" to help the reader write a poem of his own.

For example, on the page about food, the poems are "Crack an Egg" by Denise Rodgers, "Mashed Potatoes" by Eve Merriam, and "Eating Blueberries" by Sandra Olson Liatsos.

"Mashed Potatoes" paints a lovely picture of a huge mountain of mashed potatoes, and urges us to "
Relyn
Mar 11, 2016 Relyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Relyn by: went searching for Jack Prelutsky books
Shelves: lawsonland, poetry
Jack Prelutsky is always a big hit with kids. But, this book is probably his least popular. It has a strong teaching component instead of pure (to the kids anyway) entertainment.

Classroom Connection
As an educator, one of my goals is for my students to experience poetry in a way that will help them understand how to read it and learn to love it. I want my students to learn to read poetry for pleasure. I did not learn to love poetry until I was in college working on my minor in English Literature
babyhippoface
Feb 22, 2008 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Read a Rhyme is designed to get readers writing and is so simple in design that one wonders why we haven’t seen a book like this before. Each two-page spread features three poems by various authors on a single topic (birthdays, cows, snow) and one “poemstart” by Jack Prelutsky, in which he starts a poem with 2-6 lines then invites the reader to finish the poem: “I’m hungry, so I think that I / Will have a piece of penguin pie. / When that is finished, I will eat / A __________.” Each poemstart i ...more
EDUC535
Review by Danielle Seyler
This book is an ideal way to involve students in poetry. Prelutsky provides “poem starts” that gives readers the opportunity to complete the poem themselves! This book began as a website, inviting children to finish funny poems. This website was so successful that he created this book, a collection of poems about different subjects, incorporating famous poets and children.
The Reading Countess
Jun 05, 2010 The Reading Countess rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
A collection of poems centered around various topics (dogs, rain, food) that children can easily identify with, renowned kid's poet Prelutsky (who selects all of the poems inside) adds a different twist. On the top right hand corner of each page, he has "poemstarts" to help encourage every little writer.

Although I am not a big fan of "we read this, then we follow the prompt to respond" kind of instruction, I do think this book might be fun if used sparingly. I tabbed pages 22 and 23 (poems cent
Jul 21, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this format to help kids get started with writing poetry. The author provides sample poems and then a "poemstart" with encouragement and a beginning to write your own work for 10 different topics. Teachers should give this a try and get rid of those awful contrived acrostic poems that seem to be the backbone of every poetry unit.
Jessica
Sep 05, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
Jack Pretlutsky chose poems as example of specific types, then wrote a starter and then you can write your own! Mashed Potatoes was a favorite of mine, as well as 2 by Ogden Nash.

Mashed Potatoes, mashed potatoes, piled up high,
mashed potatoes, mashed potatoes, up to the sky..... by Eve Merriam
Julia
Jul 15, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kindergarten-fourth grade
I picked this book up at the library today and by the title I thought it would have some writing prompts in it. I quickly looked through it and didn't see any, but decided to get it anyway. When I sat down to read it I was really excited about the short lessons Jack Prelutsky includes for each page set. Each page set has 3 or 4 poems about a topic and then there is a poem start and short instructions about how to get started writing your own poem on the topic. This is definitely a book I will be ...more
Danelle Sperling
Mar 08, 2010 Danelle Sperling rated it really liked it
I love the format of this book. Jack Prelutsky organized this collection of poems by topic with three poems on a 2-page spread. Then he added what he calls a "poemstart" along with suggestions to complete the poem. I also love that he gives budding poets a framework from which to begin, but also gives them permission to completely scrap his words and begin with their own! I will definitely use this book as a reference with helping kids explore their inner poet :)
Deidra
Dec 02, 2007 Deidra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-and-verse
Written by Jack Prelutsky and illustrated by Meilo So. Published by Knopf Books for Young Readers.

Grade level: 1-4

This book includes a collection of poems that were put together with poem "starters" as a way to jump-start kids' creativity and their interest in poetry.

Kids will not only like the fun poems inside, but also the starter poems that they can finish any way they want.

Possible themes/units: poetry
Jessica
I'm not big into poetry. When I decided to teach a co-op writing class for homeschool students (2nd/3rd grade), I knew that even though I don't like poetry much I needed to teach it. :) I found this book to be perfect for our week on poetry. I read the students two poems, and we used two of the "poemstarts". The kids really got into it, and my own son declared it was his favorite week of the writing class.
Jill
Dec 02, 2007 Jill rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 1-6
Shelves: poetry-and-verse
Summary: This book is full of themed poems with explanations of how to write poetry and great ways to start poems. Gets children excited about poetry and helps them get started writing it.

Reflections: This is a great book to get kids excited about writing poetry and best of all makes them more comfortable doing so! I love the themes that are given to help even more!

Connections: poetry, themes, rhyming
Carly
Dec 03, 2007 Carly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades 3-6
Shelves: poetry
I loved this book and it would be a great teaching tool for every classroom! In this book Jack Prelutsky includes tons of poems and poem starters so that kids can write their own poems. I think kids would love the funny poems and illustrations and would love being able to write their own poetry just like the author. This would work perfectly in a poetry writing unit.
Kim Valentine
Sep 27, 2008 Kim Valentine rated it really liked it
This book of poems has three to four poems on each page covering a topic then a starter poem with suggestions on how to continue the poem. The pages are beautifully illustrated and fun to look at. Some of the topics are rain, snow, best friends, birthdays, cows, turtles, bugs, and many more fun topics

Genre: Poems
Grade:K-5
Oct 29, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
This book is full of shore poems that describe topics such as birthdays, rain and turtles. "Poemsmart" activities offer the first few lines of new poem with ideas for finishing it. Preschool teachers can read the poem-starts out loud and invite the children to make up their own ending. A really terrific book.
Rachel
May 03, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful resource for children interested in starting to write their own poetry. Each page layout includes ideas and poem starts for writing your own poem on the same page theme. Very fun poetry, and themes most students can relate to easily.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Apr 06, 2012 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I am doing an author study slash poetry cafe and station exploration with the kids at my school for National Poetry month. This is one of the books I am using for this activity. I enjoy Jack Prelutsky's poems because they are easy to read and understand and also fun!
Greta
Jun 26, 2009 Greta rated it really liked it
An interesting book designed to help young children learn about poetry with some exercises for them to practice writing their own last lines or even a whole poem.
Kristy
Mar 23, 2013 Kristy rated it really liked it
Another great classroom book. The poem starters are great to assign during a poetry unit, or to add to a classroom collection.
Kendra Schaefer
Nov 12, 2011 Kendra Schaefer rated it liked it
Shelves: instructional
This book will help my students learn how to rhyme. It will also give them examples of rhyming words.
Karen
Oct 13, 2010 Karen added it
Shelves: poetry
This a a great resource to have on your bookshelf. It makes teaching poetry not so scary
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Another good book on poetic forms, with poem starts by Prelutsky. Fun!
JoEllen Mccarthy
Apr 16, 2012 JoEllen Mccarthy rated it really liked it
Poem starts can be fun!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...