Start by marking “The Walker Book Of Read Aloud Rhymes For The Very Young” as Want to Read:
The Walker Book Of Read Aloud Rhymes For The Very Young

The Walker Book Of Read Aloud Rhymes For The Very Young

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Poems about picnics, pretending, and puppies make this book the book to introduce little ones to poetry about the world around them. Jack Prelutsky, one of today's most respected children's poets, has selected more than 200 short poems--old favorites, traditional rhymes, and humorous verses--that will delight young listeners. The poems cover a wide range of experiences in ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1986)

Be the first to ask a question about The Walker Book Of Read Aloud Rhymes For The Very Young

Robert Moushon
Prelutsky, J., & Brown, M. T. (1986). Read-aloud rhymes for the very young. New York: A. Knopf.

Characters: A multitude of characters, including: The Old Woman Who lived in a Shoe, Jack Frost, the Gold-Tinted Dragon, the Little Elf, the Raggedy Dog, the Woodpecker in Disguise, many more.

Themes: Animals, Family, Nature, Emotions, Comedy, Seasons, Expeditions, Reasons

Genre: ETEC 545 Class 5, Children’s Poetry

Summary: A collection of young children’s poetry filled with colorful illustrations. Al
Gracie Guagenti
This is another collection of poetry for young children. Admittedly by the time I came to this collection I was pretty burnt out on poetry and specifically collections of poems. I connected more with the introduction to this book that detailed the reason to read poetry to young children. It talks about how infants and young children are great listeners and can benefit from the rhythmic pattern of reading poetry aloud.
The poems in this collection were short and entertaining. Preschoolers would f
Steven Peterson
The book begins by laying things out clearly (Introduction): ". . .most adults forget that long before children become great asking machines, they are great listening machines. . . . The relevance of all this to a collection of poetry is demonstrated by the fact that the first sound a child hears is actually a poem--the rhythmic, rhyming beat-beat-beat of a mother's heart. . . . Unlike the toys we buy our children, poems cannot break."

This is a book of rhymes for younger children, by a whole va
Dominique
Very good book of poetry for young children. The poems are short so they keep children's attention.The rhymes and wordplay will help you to train young ears to hear distinct sounds that are necessary to learn independent reading skills.

Rachel Field
Sing a song of picnics,
Bread and butter spread,
Greenery all around about,
And cherries overhead."
Ch_katiemcginnis
Jack Prelutsky compiles a fantastic collection of 200 poems for young readers in this engaging and thoughful book. The poems are a collection from well-written current poets. The topics span a myriad of topics for every occasion a child encounters from the time they wake up to settling down for the night. Teachers and parents will love this book because almost any topic or experience is addressed. There are poems about animals, games, acceptable behavior, etc. Each poem is accompanied by an incr ...more
Melissa Coyle
These are the most delightful poems that you can read over and over to your children. We enjoyed them and they were a bedtime tradition!

And, the very first is my favorite:

"Singing Time
I wake in the morning early
And always, the very first thing,
I poke out my head and sit up in bed
And I sing and I sing and I sing."
-Rose Fyleman

Just an example. :)
David
As its title suggests, this anthology of poetry selected by Jack Prelutsky is well-suited for young children in the pre-school and lower elementary grades. What I liked best about this is many of the poems do well to take a young child's perspective on life. This is what defines children's literature. Every poem can be taken to heart by the young reader. Themes vary and poetry is loosely grouped--many holidays are covered, and other important events, like birthdays, are included. A teacher would ...more
Frances
As a teacher I am always looking for different and creative rhymes, the traditional ones are fine but they get old quickly and children love new challenges. My classroom of first graders adore this book. The rhymes are so simple that they expanded many of them. Any book that makes children say "Oh, that one is too short, can we make it longer?" is a winner in my book. The illustrations are beautiful and the longer rhymes I cut into strips which the children paste together in our poetry center. D ...more
Amanda
This was a great book to read aloud to Little T - in bits. We finished the last third of the book all in one morning, and my tongue was getting twisted by the end. That is the fun of poetry for the young, but also the displeasure of reading in one big go. I'm going to pull a few poems out for his book. (I keep a journal of rhymes and activities to do with him, that I reference when I'm feeling uninspired or he is in a particularly cranky mood.)
Lorena
LOVE this anthology! I started reading it aloud and by the time I was done with the first poem (Teddy bear, teddy bear, go upstairs...), all of my kids had surrounded me and were asking for more! Scotty sat on my lap, and Nicole and Grant sat by my sides. It has the sweetest poems, many of which are old-time favorites. Some of them are just funny! I cannot wait to add this book to our home library!
Julie Barrett
Read-aloud rhymes for the very young by Jack Prelutsky
Explains why reading and the mother's voice are so calming to a child. So many very funny
rhymes some from Dr. Seuss and from many others. I've heard some but using other words to rhyme the poem to.
It's so important to read to a child, it's the greatest gift you can give them.

Julie Barrett
Read-aloud rhymes for the very young by Jack Prelutsky
It's so important to read to a child, it's the greatest gift you can give them.
Carmine
Ozma's request for last night's read aloud was for the 'poematree' book. Great collection. I appreciate all the spot illustrations because for now that is how she makes her selections, "I want to hear that one." We spent half the night looking for the poem with the caterpillar as per her request, but stopped to read half the book along the way.
Sonya
Jan 26, 2008 Sonya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any parent of a young child
This is an incredible book for young children--the rhymes are not nursery rhymes, which a parent can get tired of reading over and over, but they are rhyming poems about everything. My 18-month daughter loves the book because it introduces new words to her every day and has the best illustrations to connect with the poetry.
Anaeka
A is stuck on one of the rhymes - ten tired tortoises. But for that one rhyme she requests this book. There are some very nice rhymes on diverse topics. some are too short to make an impression. THe biggest drawback of this book is that each age
Felicia
This book got old fast, all of the poems were too short and a lot were not very good at all. It was so long too, Allston and I both got bored a lot, we didn't even finish the last 5 or so pages.
Shauna
We read poetry a lot for quick entertainment and as part of book club party story times. This is a fun and delightfully illustrated book. I read it every day with at least one child!
Jessie
Oct 09, 2007 Jessie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mothers
Shelves: own, baby
I love this rhyme book! I have memorized two the poems already and I would like to memorize more. They are fun little poems that apply to the daily lives of children. Very great book!
Valerie
My children enjoy having almost anything read to them. I enjoy reading poetry aloud, so this has long been a family favorite.
Child960801
The illustrations in this one are by Marc Brown and are delightful. The children liked this one too.
Amanda Funnell
Really easy to read, simple vocabulary
Some of the poems are well written; others are a little dull.
Claire
0-5, phonological awareness and vocabulary. Good collection of poetry for storytimes.
Anna
lots of seasonal poems; good for most storytime themes; nice illistrations
Jacqui
One of Zach's all-time favorites. I've held onto for sentimental reasons.
Hillary Hale
This book is a great introduction to poetry. Children would love it!
Kate Mowery
This copy of the book smells like dead worms ready to dissect.
Susan
love it. already used during programs. ordering.
Heather
I practically had to pry this out of my child's hands.
My girls (4.5 and 1.5) love this book.
  • The Neighborhood Mother Goose
  • Here's a Little Poem: A Very First Book of Poetry
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • This Little Chick
  • Fuzzy Fuzzy Fuzzy!: a touch, skritch, & tickle book
  • Sing a Song of Popcorn: Every Child 's Book of Poems (hc): Every Child's Book Of Poems
  • Planting the Wild Garden
  • Daniel's Duck
  • Over in the Meadow
  • The Tub People
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...
The New Kid on the Block Hooray For Diffendoofer Day! (Dr Seuss) A Pizza the Size of the Sun Something Big Has Been Here The Random House Book of Poetry for Children

“We Built a Castle Near the Rocks,
we built it out of sand.

Our fortress was an ice-cream box
with turret, tall and grand.

Our men were twigs, our gun were straws
from which we'd sipped at lunch.

We had the best of wars...
till someone's foot