Start by marking “Me I Am!” as Want to Read:

I am the only ME I AM
who qualifies as me;
no ME I AM has been before,
and none will ever be.
Three very different children reveal their individual personalities in a series of visual mini-adventures. Readers meet a mischievous tomboy who would rather roller-skate than wear a frilly dress, an inquisitive nature-loving boy, and an artistic ballerina who puts her ow
Published April 17th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Me I Am!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me I Am!

Ginna
Jul 22, 2013 Ginna added it
Shelves: feelings
Great book to encourage the students to be unique and to reaffirm that they are wonderful just the way they are. Talk about how everybody is different and unique!
In the dramatic play area set up different customs and face painting materials. Ask your students to wear and paint their face their unique way. Then, set up a parade for music and movement. Let them use this custom and paint all day! At the end of the day ask the to write about the whole day experience in their journals: Reminding they
Macy
Nov 13, 2014 Macy added it
" Me I Am " written by Jack Prelustsky and illustrated by Christine Davenier is a short and sweet poetry children's book. This book is about young children describing how there is only one of the them in the world. There is a page and illustration for each child. This book is a fun read and has an important message for all.

The author definitely utilizes rhyming and repetition throughout the book. The author repeats the same phrase over and over again for each child. I think the author did this o
Dolly
Jan 08, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a book with good intentions; colorful illustrations that show kids doing different activities, a repetitive poem that highlights the importance of being yourself, and overall, celebrating your uniqueness. I must admit, though, that our girls weren't overly impressed with the book and the "Me I am" poem is a bit of a tongue-twister. Great effort and intentions, but not our favorite book.
Ally Copper
"Me I Am!" by Jack Prelutsky features one fun poem repeated three times. Each time, the poem is accompanied by illustrations by Christine Davenier of a different child being his or her unique, creative self. The first is a little girl more comfortable in roller skates than a stuffy pink dress. The second is a little boy who loves and cares for animals. And the third is a girl who recruits her dog to help her present 'Swan Lake' to an audience of stuffed animals. Each group of illustrations repea ...more
“I am the only ME I AM who qualifies as me; no ME I AM has been before, and none will ever be.” Three extremely different children reveal their individual personalities in different adventures they take. Readers meet a mischievous tomboy who would rather roller-skate than wear a frilly dress, an inquisitive nature-loving boy, and an artistic ballerina who puts her own spin on Swan Lake. The conclusion of the story is that it is only fun being me. Not to try to be someone who you are not. The pic ...more
Jessica
Me I Am! (Poetry)

Me I Am! is a book that encourages children to explore who they are. It is written in a rhyming poem that is also illustrated with different children throughout its pages. The girl who would rather be a tomboy than a princess, a girl who likes to 'be' a ballerina.These girls and boys who like who they are just, 'Me I Am'. The way in which this is worded can be a bit confusing. I would have preferred it to simply say, 'I Am Me'. This would make more sense to the younger child tha
Amanda
ME I AM is a wonderful poem that displays and encourages the uniqueness of every person. No one is the same. This poem, written by Jack Prelutsky and illustrated by Christine Davenier repeats three times to display three different children and the interests and characteristics that make them who they are. The poem flows easily with its rhyming pattern. Children will enjoy the pictures and will laugh at a girl in her underwear deciding what to wear. These illustrations extend the meaning of the p ...more
Jasmine Springs
Me I Am, was written by Jack Prelutsky and illustrated by Christine Davenier. This poem is about three different children and their relationships with themselves. This book is unique in that it specifically portrays children gaining self awareness and self confidence about who they are and what they like and how they feel. Ironically the poem says the exact thing about each individual child. Which to me means that the same dialect could be made by each individual kid in the classroom. Having rep ...more
Heather Bowden
The main idea is that there is only one you in the world and that you should embrace your uniqueness. The main characters are three children, one girl who is a tomboy, a boy who seems to have a love for nature, and another girl who is very girlie and wants to be a ballerina. The book is fiction and it is also a poem that is repeated three different times in the book to coincide with each character.
After reading a couple of books about diversity in friendships I will read this book and ask the
Irene Perez
Me I am!
Grade level: Pre-K
Genre: Poetry
Lexile: 610L

Characters: three main characters
POV: first person
This picture book is built around the four stanzas of Prelutsky's poem of the same title. Three unique main characters act out one of the first three stanzas, and through the creative and great illustrations, each stretches it into his or her own story. Readers meet a mischievous tomboy who would rather roller-skate than wear a frilly dress, an inquisitive nature-loving boy, and an artistic balle
Steve_sonderman
I am beginning to grow fond of Jack Prelutsky's work. I have read a few of his books now, and enjoy every one. Me I am is a short poem that speaks to a student's individuality. It could be used in concert with an all about me project, or even made into a "me I am project". I like that the full poem is included at the back of the book, so it can be looked at as a whole, and examined. Another great Prelutsky book.
Renea Freeman
This book was interesting to read by Prelutsky. The book is about four different little children doing things that children like to do such as paint, draw, dress up and play. They each are doing their favorite things however they each say at the end of their stories they are the only Me I Am. This book is truly empowering for young children because it teaches them that no matter who they are, or what they do they will always be the only Me I Am. Children can relate to this book because they it s ...more
Luann
This poem celebrates the spirit of children who are uniquely themselves and don't worry about conforming to whatever it is that everyone else is doing. I feel like I should like this, but somehow the poem is just a bit too vague for me. I've read many other Jack Prelutsky poems that I preferred over this one. The illustrations help a bit by introducing several children who are each unique in their own way. But the illustrations themselves aren't all that memorable, either. While the idea is nice ...more
Alexis
I love this book!!!
This is a beautiful poetry book intended for I audience. This book showcases three children all quite different backgrounds and their feelings about themselves. I think this is a wonderful book for the classroom because it teaches individualism for children. Especially in a age when role models and self ideals are so important. It teaches its okay to be you in a rhythmic way, which will help children to remember the poetry for years to come. A great way to build character.
Rebecca Cimino
This book is an ecstatic poem about being you. Told through rhyme and illustrations, which depict several different characters enjoying what is special about them, children will relate to the message. Each character is different from one another, and they discover that the best thing about them is that they are themselves – and that everyone is their own unique and special self too. Short and sweet, this book is great for young readers, and for discovering poetry.
Angela Williams
Grades Pre-K – 1st

This book uses ryming, repetition, and short sentences to tell the poems. The images are colorful and playful and show the character doing various thing. . The poems are geared towards younger children and encourages self reflection. Children will enjoy hearing the poems as well as veiwing the illustrations.

Social Science/Language Arts

Lesson idea: studentst can write about what makes them different from their peers.
Salima Hart
This book is about loving yourself for who you are. It encourages positive self-esteem and uses children from different races, which is something I personally liked. I feel as though there are a lot of books that encourage positive self-esteem, but it's only told from one perspective. I really appreciate the fact that this story allowed various races to be represented and highlighted the positives of each one.
Katherine Moses
This story follows child who are just themselves. The reader can see that each character is an individual. The story highlights the uniqueness of each person. The theme is I am me, I am the only me there is in the world. I am perfect just the way I am. This is another story to read at the beginning of the year. It reminds students that we are all individuals.
Janice Redding
Me I am is about the concept that "you are who you are and everyone is different". Teachers can use this book to explain the simple concept, and encourage students to shoot for the stars and be their own person. This book is a very easy read for any student. The theme of this book is consistent. In fact, the entire text for the book is exactly the same.
Olivia Bailey
This book is a great introduction to poetry. Its poetry is simple to understand and use as a mentor book.

A cute activity for the classroom community is for each student to make a poem about themselves. They can use the book as inspiration. Then I would publish the poems to make a classroom book. It would be good to send home at the end of the year.
Carmen
The illustrations are what make this book, as the someone clumsy language that repeats every few pages is just not that strong. It needs some "verses," not just a continual refrain. This makes for a nice book to read with one or two kids, or for preliterate kids to read on their own, but it doesn't hold enough interest for a group readaloud.
Kellee Hao
A sweet rhyming book all about me! People are all different, and children are expertise at expressing how different they are! This is a great book that showcases how one person is unique and how it is good to let it show. Children should be known to be themselves, because self-esteem are brought up that way and love for someone has no limitations.
Katie Williams
Helps children see how they are special being themselves rather than trying to fit in. Can be a good book for introducing poems in it's written form. An activity could be for students to write a Me I Am poem with something unique about themselves to introduce to the rest of the class; good for the beginning of the school year.
Jane
This book can be used for teaching children about writing a poem. Chidlren can identifying sight words and recognizing phrases that are repeating. After reading this book. children can create a short story book or a poem about themselves. Also, students can ask questions how the certain characters helped others.
Joanie
This poetry book is excellent to show rhyming words and repetition. It's a short-simple poem with several sight-words for any early reader. I would read this book during the first days of school when students might be battleing anxiety or feeling out-of-place. Good book to use an example of writing about self.
Chanelle
This book is great for children to explore the importance for self and how its ok to be unique and different. This book uses a lot of rhyming words because of it being a poem. The illustrations are great, because it shows the faces of different types of children. This book can really build self esteem.
Erin Lorimer
I like this book, I thought it was unique to have four different children with the same lines repeated. It shows children that individuality comes in all different shapes and sizes, races and interests. That's my favorite aspect of this book; it teaches kids to always be themselves no matter what.
Maria
Jack Prelutsky tells us in this book: "I am the only ME I AM who qualifies as me; no ME I AM has been before, and none will ever be." Children will love the self-esteem message of this book that tells of children who like and do different things while remembering "I am the only ME I AM."
Lorraine Robinson
This book can be used to build self esteem. Help children realize they are all different individuals and do not have to be like anyone else. Builds community within the classroom. Great for younger kids and developing readers because it repeats the same few words throughout the story.
Kyle Greenberg
Me I Am! Is a very cute book to read to elementary students. It is about three very different children who understand that they are each unique and individuals. This would be a great book for students to learn about the differences of people and how everyone is their own self!
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones
  • Counting on Frank
  • Lemonade for Sale
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...
The New Kid on the Block Hooray For Diffendoofer Day! (Dr Seuss) A Pizza the Size of the Sun Something Big Has Been Here The Random House Book of Poetry for Children