Start by marking “He Said, Sidhe Said & Other Tales” as Want to Read:
He Said, Sidhe Said & Other Tales

He Said, Sidhe Said & Other Tales

In these seven contemporary fantasies from Tanya Huff, we see a dog's eye view of loyalty and a cat's eye view of sea serpents. We learn that some Brownies could use a shave – although cookies will still be sold – and that there are at least two sides to every relationship, no matter how accidental and/or mythical that relationship is. We're also reminded that however ...more
Published December 12th 2013 by Jabberwocky Literary Agency, Inc. (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about He Said, Sidhe Said & Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He Said, Sidhe Said & Other Tales

Nikki
Dec 26, 2013 Nikki rated it really liked it
As usual, Tanya Huff's stories collected in this ebook are fun; it's a solid mix of fun and a more serious story. The title story (a sort of retelling of Tam Lin) was probably my least favourite. Since it's a shortish collection (seven stories), I'll review each story separately, albeit briefly.

'A Choice of Endings': I didn't remember the character of Mrs. Ruth very well -- I read Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light quite a while ago -- but I enjoyed the story nonetheless. It's always interesting
namericanwordcat
Sep 19, 2015 namericanwordcat rated it liked it
Shelves: short, uf-series
These are enjoyable little bites. The humor and worlds are very nice. Good stuff.
Barbara
Aug 06, 2016 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
A pleasing collection of short stories.

I particularly enjoyed the re-telling of Tam Lin "He Said, Sidhe Said" and the unconventional Brownie troop "Tuesday Evenings, Six Thirty to Seven". I found them clever, funny and wickly irreverent. Four stars.

I'd give 3 stars to the rest, except for the one that seems to be the author's favorite - "Word of Honour". While it was movingly written, I thought it was also predictable, so only 2 stars.
Terri
Very fun selection of stories including one featuring her Keeper series. My favorites were the title story (a retelling of Tamlin myth) and Word of Honour which was a tale of Templars and a holy relic with an unexpected twist.
Heather
Aug 23, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Tanya Huff’s He Said, Sidhe Said is a delightful anthology of her short stories (a small collection, perfect at its low Kindle price). Overall this one is of very good quality.

A Choice of Endings: in which an incarnation of the Crone decides to do something small-i important with her last hours–something she’s not supposed to involve herself in. It’s a poignant tale, yet with some nice humor. It’s one of my favorites in this book.

Finding Marcus: A dog has lost his master, and is left making his
Sidsel Pedersen
Aug 19, 2015 Sidsel Pedersen marked it as reading-collection
A Choice of Endings
This story is about Mrs. Ruth, the Crone, who is a bag lady - yes it makes sense. She is trying to get a little more out of her time on Earth (this time around), because when it is her time to hold the Power again, it will be too late. That is all I will say about the plot, anything more would be spoilers. I really enjoyed the little story. The introduction makes it more powerful and it takes a painful subject and lets us imagine the power to stop it. Read my full review: http
Susan
Apr 05, 2016 Susan added it
Shelves: e-books, 2005, 2014, 2001, 2015
great shorts !!!

"A Choice of Endings" (featuring Mrs. Ruth from Tanya's first novel)
(from Maiden Matron Crone and Finding Magic) read 5/23/2005
re-read 6/6/2014 reread 3/18/2015 read aloud to Lisa 11/30/2015

"Tuesday Evenings, 6:30-7:00" (Brownies!!! loved it in Finding Magic, too) re-read 6/7/2014 reread 3/18/2015

"Under Summons" (featuring Diana, the Keeper & Austin) re-read 6/8/2014 reread 3/19/2015

"I'll Be Home for Christmas" 7/25/2001 re-read 6/9/2014 reread 3/19/2015

"Word of Honor" read
CatBookMom
I kept thinking some of these stories have been in other anthologies, since there's a familiarity; and they have - all have previously been published at least twice, most recently in either of the print collections What Ho, Magic! (1999) or Finding Magic (2007).
Josh Talbot
Jul 10, 2014 Josh Talbot rated it it was amazing
Tanya Huff is a master.

What I really enjoyed about this collection is that there are some stories that feature familiar characters. I especially enjoyed the one from the Keeper Chronicles.
Li
Aug 23, 2014 Li rated it really liked it
Short story collections tend to be a bit hit or miss for me, but I’m really liking Tanya Huff’s
re-releases. There's a sly dose of humour in some, and she manages to pack in feelings.
Karen-Leigh
Dec 21, 2015 Karen-Leigh rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
Short stories, some of which were wonderful. One led me to actually go search for a three book series.
Marisella
Jun 01, 2014 Marisella rated it really liked it
An diverse and well written set of shorts, every story as enjoyable as the rest. A new look at Tam Lin, an intervention from a dying fate who stops a serial killer; each story was fresh and fun
Hannah Brown
Aug 05, 2015 Hannah Brown rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this, because Tanya Huff came fairly highly recommended, and I tend to like short stories more than novels, but I couldn't get past how predictable most of the stories were.
Elentarri
Jul 29, 2015 Elentarri rated it really liked it
A set of 7 beautifully written short stories. I may have to pick up some of this author's other works.
Jane
Aug 09, 2016 Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Love Huff's voice and every one of these short stories was a gem. I think the weakest was the last -- but it made me cry at the end, tears stinging my eyes, so I guess weak is relative.
Tigress62
Tigress62 rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Teresa Carrigan
Dec 31, 2013 Teresa Carrigan rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
short stories. some of them are laugh out loud hilarious.
Gary D Dumbauld
Gary D Dumbauld rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Ellie
Ellie rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Lindsey Kent
Lindsey Kent rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Julia Phillips
Julia Phillips rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Anita S. Musumeci
Anita S. Musumeci rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Katherine
Katherine rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Heather Smith
Heather Smith rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Rowan
Rowan rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
Sydney
Sydney rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Red Fever (BBW Fairy Tail Shorts #1)
  • My Vampire Idol (Shifting Reality, #3)
  • A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters
  • Remalna's Children
  • Human Tales
  • The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
  • No Sooner Met (October Daye, #8.2)
  • Glitter and Mayhem
  • Shadowed Souls
  • A Dragon's Family Album (Elder Races, #6.5, #6.6, #6.7)
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • Magic 101 (A Diana Tregarde Investigation)
  • The Legend of Bold Riley
  • Bone Shop (Marla Mason, Prequel #1)
  • Bite Me! A Vampire Farce
  • Shadow Animals
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...

“Little girls reacted to weakness like wolves – which was not particularly fair to wolves, who were, on the whole, noble creatures.” 0 likes