Start by marking “Copyright's Paradox” as Want to Read:
Copyright's Paradox

Copyright's Paradox

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Providing a vital economic incentive for much of society's music, art, and literature, copyright is widely considered "the engine of free expression"--but it is also used to stifle news reporting, political commentary, historical scholarship, and even artistic expression. In Copyright'sParadox, Neil Weinstock Netanel explores the tensions between copyright law and free spe ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Copyright's Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Copyright's Paradox

Mike Ehlers
Great book on the connection between copyright and free speech. I enjoyed this book better than Free Culture, but then I read this book first. It has a more narrow focus, and the writing is more legalistic. Netanel raises excellent concerns about censorship, and how the ongoing tension between copyright and the First Amendment is swinging out of balance. His suggetions at the end of the book struck me as well thought out. A good book for anyone interested in the First Amendment.
Surfing Moose
Opened my eyes as to how copyright can be used as a form of censorship and am glad I read the book. My only complaint and the 3 star rating, too dry for my taste. The one of the only thing I like this dry is a martini. Ah fair use there.
Vito Camarretta
Interesting perspective about the controversial copyright laws (particularly for public speech, journalism and literature) and its difficult "conciliation" with First Amendment of USA Constitution.
Catherine Siemann
Smart and well-researched, this book takes on the clash between copyright and freedom of speech, and the distortion of copyright's original purpose.
Mark Flowers
Read this book. I can't even write about copyright without getting ridiculously angry, so just . . . read this book.
Laura added it
Nov 23, 2014
James
James added it
Oct 11, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Lawrence J. Baden
Lawrence J. Baden marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Amanda Baskin
Amanda Baskin marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Jl
Jl marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
May 28, 2013
Freya Anderson
Freya Anderson marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
C Hrbal
C Hrbal marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Ayla
Ayla marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2013
Hkeeler
Hkeeler marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
Rodrigo Vargas
Rodrigo Vargas marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2013
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2012
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Copyright's Paradox Development Agenda: Global Intellectual Property and Developing Countries The Development Agenda: Global Intellectual Property and Developing Countries