Start by marking “What a Day It Was at School!” as Want to Read:
What a Day It Was at School!

What a Day It Was at School!

Through 16 silly poems, Prelutsky shares his hilarious views and the triumphs everyone has experienced at school, from science projects gone awry to fields trips and dreaded fractions. Full color.
Published July 1st 2006 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about What a Day It Was at School!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Day It Was at School!

Margaret
Aug 11, 2016 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, poetry
8/5/2016 * Great for orientation (10 minute rotations) on very first library visit. I read the back pack poem, the library poem, and the maracas poem. I used this with the K-3 groups.
Nicole Stevens
Mar 12, 2014 Nicole Stevens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stevens-poetry
"What a Day It Was at School!" is an amazing poetry book for third through fifth graders! Jack Prelutsky does an amazing job, as always, of entrancing the reader in his stories and making one feel as if he/she is experiencing the day at school along with the characters. Doug Cushman's beautiful illustrations only add to Prelutsky's quality poems. Just to reference a few, "My Backpack Weighs A Thousand Pounds," "I Tried to Do My Homework,"I Made A Noise This Morning," and "I Drew a Yellow Unicorn ...more
Lindsey LaMonica
Mar 17, 2016 Lindsey LaMonica rated it liked it
Shelves: childerns-lit
"What a Day It Was at School!" written by Jack Prelutsky, with illustrastions from Doug Cushman includes 17 great poems all students can relate to. Cushman uses a full page spread using acrylic colors to paint wonderful pictures. They are colorful, bright and very detailed. The poems are told from the point of view/written by the main character, a cat. From how heavy the backpack is, show-and-tell, and his classmate named Tim, the poems are something really any kid can relate too. I would recomm ...more
Erin Ewing
Jun 03, 2016 Erin Ewing rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-614-poetry
What a Day at School! by Jack Prelutsky is a book of poems about school. It is much thinner than the usual funny poem books like Where the Sidewalk Ends, which might make it less daunting for kids. The front cover shows animals running out of school doors. The titles beg to be read. Some examples that caught my attention include: "My Backpack Weighs a Thousand Pounds," "A Man Named Mr. Hoobybatch," and "I'm Off to the Infirmary." These poems are funny and most of all very relatable to kids exper ...more
Tracy St.
Feb 19, 2014 Tracy St. rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun book for students of virtually all ages to read! Although the poems are a little difficult for my first grade students to read, they howled with laughter while I read several of the poems from this book to them. I notice that students gravitate more to poems that rhyme as many of the poems in this book do. Also, the overarching topic of school is something that all my students can easily relate themselves to! Most of these poems are short and sweet enough for my young students ...more
Taylor Railey
Apr 15, 2014 Taylor Railey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
"What a Day it Was at School" by Jack Prelutsky is great for the classroom. The book consists of many different poems that all relate to different circumstances at school. I would recommend this book to third through fifth grade if they were reading the poems on their own but it could also be used in a first grade classroom during story time. The poems have great illustrations that go along with them. They are colorful and bright and very detailed. I loved this book and will have it in my future ...more
(NS) Dana
Nov 17, 2009 (NS) Dana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book contains 17 poems about joys and dilemmas that occur during the school day. The Poems discus the ups and downs of completing homework and assignments, overloaded backpacks, the sweet sounds of music class, invigorating author visits, gym partners, and cafeteria food fights. Lively and fun, with perfect examples and loads of interesting word choices, these poems are wonderful for class read-alouds. The picture create an engaging school environment with adorable colorful cartoon animal c ...more
 (NS) Maria
Nov 21, 2009 (NS) Maria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I have had this book of school poems on my shelf for my 2 years and haven't read it yet. After reading it I was mad at myself for not reading this book of poems on the first few weeks of school to my students. This is a great book about events happening at school. Jack Prelutsky is one of my favorite authors which has written many books. Some of the selection of the poems are fantasy and others are realistic poems. This author is always making me laugh by the choice of his words and the rhythms ...more
Heather Bowden
Sep 30, 2013 Heather Bowden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: randoms
This book is a book of poems. This is a good book to introduce chapter books or other books that have table of contents. The book has all the poems listed in the table of contents and has the page number to each poem. Children can practice looking for the poem they would like to read and using the table of contents to get there.
There is a poem in the book called "I wish I'd studied harrder" it's talking about a spelling test that the character had and he doesn't think he passed because he didn't
Karen Gedeon
Say the name Jack Prelutsky to any elementary student and four out of five will not only know his work, but will love him. Prelutsky does not disappoint in What A Day It Was At School! With his usual humor and sing song rhythm and rhyme School hits all the subjects from loving the library to music class to learning history. If I Know How To Add doesn’t hit home then I Made A Noise This Morning will have you rolling with laughter. Doug Cushman adds full color cartoon animals as the school kids wh ...more
(NS) - Heather Hayman
Nov 18, 2009 (NS) - Heather Hayman rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I wish that I would have gotten my hand on this wonderful poem book sooner, written by acclaimed author Jack Prelutsky. This poetry book is written in journal form by a colorful cat, and his 17 poems about everyday life and issues within a school setting. It is a nice mix of fantasy and realism in this slapstick piece of writing. This school themed collection of poetry is guaranteed to be a hit amongst elementary school teachers for use within the classroom.

I have to admit that I actually went
Ms. B
Jun 01, 2014 Ms. B rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, poetry, 2014
Good book for National Poetry Month (April), start of the school year or anytime. Note to self: As I was reading this, I thought Jon Scieszka's poetry and view of school life sounds a lot like Jack Prelutsky's.
Emily Bernd
An outstanding book of poems about things students do and experience in school. The students could relate to these poems very easily and they are easy to use in all types of comprehension lessons.
Kimberly
Aug 23, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it
I love that this is a book of school themed poetry for children. It would be a great addition to the first day of school for any class.
Kelly Havens
Jun 11, 2013 Kelly Havens rated it it was amazing
I have always admired Jack Prelutsky’s work, and in 2008 when I had the opportunity to meet him and hear him speak at a conference I became an even bigger fan. What a Day it was at School is a fun and carefree book for children to read or listen to. Prelutsky writes about a backpack weighing a thousand pounds to wishing he had studied harrder. Yes, harrder. The illustrator, Doug Cushman, brings in playful images using acrylic that perfectly compliment Prelutsky’s words. Students could use this t ...more
Ruben Castillo
Apr 20, 2016 Ruben Castillo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I liked this book a lot, it has a lot of poems and they are very cute.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I really like the way this book was done--as a collection of poems in a notebook that a cat child is showing his mother in lieu of telling her about his day at school. The poems are full of the typical Prelutsky humor, accompanied by Doug Cushman's cute illustrations, also touched with humor (I love the snake with the backpack accompanying the poem about backpacks!). "I Made a Noise This Morning" will surely get kids giggling--the illustration is a dead giveaway as to the nature of the noise he ...more
Rachelolivia
Jun 01, 2015 Rachelolivia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
II
Tyler Cempre
Jun 30, 2013 Tyler Cempre rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a good book for older elementary school students. It is really great because the students can easily relate to the content in all of the poems in the book. I really liked the story about his ‘large eruption’ because I know it would be really amusing to all of the students. I would recommend that teachers use this book as an example if they were undertaking a class project like a compilation of students’ poems about a single topic (School, Family, Free Time).
Tami
Mar 08, 2012 Tami rated it it was amazing
This poetry book is about a cat’s journey through school. The verse in these poems is full of life and great for children grades K-3, because more than likely they have had a few of these amusing experiences themselves. What A Day It Was at School is animated and enjoyable with perfect meter and a plenty of attention-grabbing word choices. I do recommend this book, sure to be at hit with the children.
Jessica
While I am a fan of Jack Prelutsky's earlier poems, I did find some of the ones included here very nice indeed. I struggled with others to get the rhythm down, but nobody is perfect. I believe this is a good book for a teacher to have in her classroom library. Children can read it and learn more about poetry!
Stacy
Nov 16, 2011 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book had quite a few cute poems in it. Some were amusing and some were a little too true, but most were a hit with my kids. I loved the "I Wish I'd Studied Harder" poem and plan to tape a copy on the basket with our spelling flashcards. Kids' favorite was "I Made a Noise This Morning."
Ivano Parravano
Dec 11, 2012 Ivano Parravano rated it really liked it
This book of poetry is full of poems about school. It begins with a poem about waking up and going to school. There are other poems about lunch and recess. I think it is suitable to be read to primary grades and can be enjoyed by intermediate grades. I think the poems are easy to read and fluent.
Kristy Schwertfeger
This is a cute book to read to children. It has many different poems all about school and what students do at school. I think that some of the poems are funny and that students will enjoy hearing and reading them. This would be a cute book to read at the beginning of the year.
Emerson School  Library
Funny rhyming poems about a school that may not (or may!) be quite like yours. Prelutsky's poems often requires a lot of background knowledge, and this collection is no exception, but there are a number of accessible, fun poems here that first graders enjoy as a read-aloud.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Apr 06, 2012 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I am doing an author study slash poetry cafe and station exploration with the kids at my school for National Poetry month. This is one of the books I am using for this activity. I enjoy Jack Prelutsky's poems because they are easy to read and understand and also fun!
Sandy
Sep 10, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing
A great picture book of poems about the outrageous things that happened while at school one day. A great read aloud and a good book to help with a lesson on different kinds of poetry. These poems would be better for children 3rd – 5th.
Bullcitytaheel
Nov 29, 2007 Bullcitytaheel rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit, poetry
Cute, amusing poems. The book looks like its for preschoolers and they may enjoy it, but I think older will like it too. Science projects, big backpacks, lots of homework may not be familiar enough for preschoolers. I enjoyed it!
Ashley Wampler
Oct 12, 2010 Ashley Wampler rated it really liked it
This book is a compilation of poems about various school topics- lunch, gym, math, the library, etc. It is good for a poetry lesson, or as a group read aloud. I read a couple a day to my first graders and they loved it!
Ashlyn Barker
A book of poems about the cat's day at school. Younger children will enjoy being able to connect their current schema about school to the cat's poems. Not enough depth for older children in my opinion though.
  • Meow Ruff: A Story in Concrete Poetry
  • The Bill Martin Jr Big Book of Poetry
  • Roots and Blues: A Celebration
  • Rain Drop Splash
  • The Secret Birthday Message
  • Poetry Speaks to Children (Book & CD) (A Poetry Speaks Experience)
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • Chess Rumble
  • Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)
  • The Negro Speaks of Rivers
  • Blue Lipstick: Concrete Poems
  • Spiders
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...