Start by marking “For Laughing Out Loud: Poems to Tickle Your Funnybone” as Want to Read:
For Laughing Out Loud: Poems to Tickle Your Funnybone

For Laughing Out Loud: Poems to Tickle Your Funnybone

Illus. in full color. "These nonsense verses combine the domestic and the gross, deadpan and slapstick, with a lilting rhythm and satisfying rhyme. The poets are well-known contemporaries including Prelutsky, Silverstein, Kuskin, Lobel, Viorst, and many more. The design is ebullient. Start or end story hour with these verses, and kids will know reading's a pleasure."--(sta ...more
Published March 20th 1991 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about For Laughing Out Loud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Laughing Out Loud

Stephanie Hughes
Mar 23, 2016 Stephanie Hughes rated it really liked it
For Laughing Out Loud, a collection of poems selected by the famous children’s poet, Jack Prelutsky, is a truly laugh out loud book. Prelutsky has collected funny poems that span a range of hilarious topics, from a pancake collector to a sick dodo, to two ghosts who switch heads and having a booing contest.

One feature of this book that I love is that it is a collection of poems by many different poets. I believe exposing students to many different poets and their unique and individual styles is
Jill
Mar 16, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it
Prelutsky, Jack; Pricemen, Marjorie, For Laughing Out Loud: Poems to Tickle Your Funnybone, Alfred A. Knopf, 1991, children’s poetry, age: 4 – 9, lexile: n/a, rating: 4

This is a collection of 132 poems selected by Jack Prelutsky, written by a variety of authors, ranging from animals, food, and family. The poems each have humor and will be relatable to children and the experiences they are going through.

I rate this 4. After reading Bills Martin Jr’s collection of poems and seeing how it’s laid ou
Ariel
Feb 09, 2011 Ariel rated it really liked it
Bernadette
Sep 03, 2009 Bernadette rated it really liked it
This books contains a collection of 132 humorous poems by various writers including Odgen Nosh, Karla Kuskin, Ellen Raskin, Arnold Lobel, John Ciardi, Myra Cohn Livingston, Eve Mariam, Lillian Moore, X.J. Kennedy, Judith Viorst, and Jack Prelutsky himself. The poems cover such topics as animals, food, school, different people, tricks, and anything else that could make you laugh.

I truly enjoyed flipping through this collection – the poems really do make you laugh out loud! My students enjoyed the
Helen
Apr 07, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
One of my favorite poetry collections, especially for reading aloud to kids. Hilarious little poems of all sorts that I literally snorted and laughed myself to tears over as a child.
Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook
Dec 26, 2012 Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
This is a collection of humorous poems, some better than others, by different poets. Mr. Prelutsky's are some of the better ones as well as well as the Shel Silverstein and the Jane Yolen ones.

Some have good bones and when I read this with my son Sasha on Christmas morn we agreed that it would be fun to do our own variations on them.

The Garbage Delight had a fun rhythm to it. I have been working on two poems of my own one about recycling garbage and the other one about kitchen gadgets that have
Julia
Dec 14, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it
For Laughing Out Loud: Poems to Tickle your Funny Bone by Jack Prelutcky was very good. It was just poems. But not only poems - they were hilarious! Well I wouldn't say that for all of them because it seemed like some of them were trying to be funny but they weren't. Honestly I don't usually have a favorite poem in a book just like in this one. I would recomend this book to people who like or sort of like poetry and like laughing out loud while reading!
Catherine Johnson
Jan 17, 2011 Catherine Johnson rated it it was amazing
I love the title of this poetry book. It says what it is but also has a second meaning which reflects on all the poems with double-entendres. For crying out loud just read it yourself ;)
Another compilation put together by Jack Prelutsky, this one leans towards nursery rhymes and is chock full of delicious poetry, most of it in rhyme.

Some very famous writers are here within the pages
If I sit down with cup of tea I shall be here for ages
Sarah Romero
Aug 04, 2014 Sarah Romero rated it it was amazing
We're at the library, and the little guy made a special request for this fun book of poems! He loves "The Bluffalo"... It literally gets him laughing out loud.
Cynthia
Oct 23, 2008 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like silly poems
Shelves: poetry
Since I teach second grade, funny poems are essential. Jack Prelutsky edited this anthology, which includes work by noted children's poets (Karla Kuskin, Judith VIorst,John Ciardi, X.J. Kennedy, etc.).

Cheryl
One hilarious poem after another. My personal favorite is the last one, by Dorothy Aldis, Bursting

We've laughted until my cheeks are tight,
We've laughed until my stomach's sore
If we could only stop we might
Remember what we're laughing for!.
Katie
Oct 21, 2010 Katie rated it liked it
I thought there were a couple funny poems in this book. This book had different poems in it . Ones about the ocean, animals, pancakes all sorts of poems. So read this book!
Nicole Fellows
Jun 15, 2008 Nicole Fellows rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really liked this book. The poems were really funny. The poem "Be Glad Your Nose Is on Your Face" just made me laugh. I would love to have this book in my classroom someday.
Sandy Brehl
A lesser known collection featuring poems by Prelutsky and other impressive poets, including the infamous "anonymous", each of which elicits smiles and laughs.
Shauna
Apr 10, 2008 Shauna rated it it was amazing
I have learned to love poetry from reading children's poetry as an adult. I now enjoy all kinds of poetry. This is a special favorite at our house.
Emily Wariner
Oct 13, 2009 Emily Wariner rated it liked it
I think the poems in this book would be enjoyable for kids although there are still a few poems that would be humorous for adults as well.
Barbara Lovejoy
Aug 09, 2011 Barbara Lovejoy rated it really liked it
I love to read poems for children...and Jack Prelutsky is a favorite.
Devin
Jun 04, 2008 Devin rated it liked it
Rattlesnake Meat

Loved it. It was so funny.
Antonio
Feb 08, 2013 Antonio rated it really liked it
Excellent for a laugh or maybe more!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Homegrown Reader
Homegrown Reader marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Matthew J.
Matthew J. marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Alyse
Alyse marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
ANKUSH
ANKUSH marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Mrs. Arteaga
Mrs. Arteaga marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
  • If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand: Poems About School
  • Insectlopedia
  • Falling Down the Page: A Book of List Poems
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • Here's a Little Poem: A Very First Book of Poetry
  • Follow Follow: A Book of Reverso Poems
  • Amazing Faces
  • Oh Rats! The Story of Rats and People
  • Sing a Song of Popcorn: Every Child's Book Of Poems
  • Helen Keller:  A photographic story of a life (DK Biography)
  • The Dream Keeper and Other Poems
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...