Start by marking “In Quest of Gold: The Jim Ryun Story” as Want to Read:
In Quest of Gold: The Jim Ryun Story

In Quest of Gold: The Jim Ryun Story

Published September 1st 1984 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about In Quest of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Quest of Gold

Jeremy Wood
Oct 29, 2007 Jeremy Wood rated it really liked it
I am not really big on religion and this book doesnt delve into that TOO much, but mr ryun tells a good story about his quest for the Olympic gold and the aftereffect it had on both him and his family. His endurance towards the goal really drives the book
Rick
Jul 29, 2008 Rick rated it liked it
Shelves: running
As a high school track athlete, Ryun was a hero of mine. In my 30's I had the chance to run 6 miles with him. I have read his story twice and passed it on to a couple of my running friends.
Flora
Oct 06, 2015 Flora rated it really liked it
Got to page 40 and was like "he's already broken 4! how are there 180 more pages?" It was pretty crazy how little he knew about running when he ran the first sub-4 in 11th grade. He wasn't some middle school stud. He just started track in 10th grade b/c he was too bad at other sports--a classic story. And then he got A LOT better really quickly. His narration of some his early big races is just like "I stuck with the top guys, then decided I would try to pass him with half a lap to go". As he ge ...more
Anthony Edridge
Jul 24, 2013 Anthony Edridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographical
The life of Olympic athletes is always full of exciting events and exciting driven people. But how does a great runner sell out to a second all consuming goal? Jim Ryun describes all the triumphs and tragedies of allowing God to be his primary goal, so that his running became part of God's gift for his life. But God also added so much more to his life than mere running; the fulfillment of God's purpose in all his relationships, both family and friends.
Lüc Carl
Dec 29, 2011 Lüc Carl rated it liked it
As an avid runner I flew through this book in no time. It was well written and I enjoyed it very much. I could have done without all the God crap being shoved down my throat, and I didn't particularly care for the ending. Although I did start going to church more often to pray for my knees.
Very hard book to get your hands on. Used is the only option I could find.
Michelle
Jun 25, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Richard G
Aug 16, 2014 Richard G rated it liked it
One of the only books I was able to sit through about running. Something about the experience of reading was more sentimental to me. It was given to me by the track coach of my Catholic church's middle school team. I can't really sit through reading very much of anything about running anymore.
Darrell
Dec 01, 2012 Darrell rated it it was amazing
I chose to read this book because I wanted to read about his running exploits. As an unexpected bonus, I was surprised and pleased to read about his journey to Christianity as well.
Rob
Rob rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2008
Jeff Wilson
Jeff Wilson rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Dale
Dale rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Junessa
Junessa rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Debbie Fowler
Debbie Fowler rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Orrin Konheim
Orrin Konheim rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2015
Warren Keppler
Warren Keppler rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Jeremy Case
Jeremy Case rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Calvin Combrridge junior
Calvin Combrridge junior rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2014
Dan Shonka
Dan Shonka rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2014
Darryl Scroggins
Darryl Scroggins rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2012
Misty
Misty rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
John Lisle
John Lisle rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Bekah
Bekah rated it really liked it
May 29, 2011
Dave Sweet
Dave Sweet rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2012
Jojo Cuffari Jr.
Jojo Cuffari Jr. rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2014
Larry Chaney
Larry Chaney rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2015
Stuart David
Stuart David rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
Simon Mordue
Simon Mordue rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Stephen Popenfoose
Stephen Popenfoose rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Krissa Hill
Krissa Hill rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2017