Start by marking “How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones?” as Want to Read:
How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones?

How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones? (Words are CATegorical)

The eighth title in our best-selling Words Are Categorical series takes a lighthearted look at homonyms and homophones with playful rhymes and comical cartoon cats. All together, this series has more than 1 million copies in print! Homonyms are easier to show than explain! Using Brian Gable's signature cartoon cats to illustrate spirited verses with key words printed in co ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Millbrook Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?

Karen
Jun 18, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
Seeing is understanding in this case. I think How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear? does an excellent job of SHOWING the homophones and homonyms. I hesitate giving this a higher ranking because I feel it is more of a one on one book rather than a whole-class read (on second thought, that may be more the topic than the book). I feel that students can catch on to homonyms and homophones more quickly if I sit down with this book and point out the differences. If students are just listening to the story, I ...more
Donna
Apr 18, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
I did a center using this book and it worked well. One thing that made me choose this book over other books is how it introduces homophones and homonyms to students, giving a good, clear definition of each, then giving examples.
Dolly
Jan 09, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
The English language is a tricky one to learn. This book in the Words are CATegorical series by Brian P. Cleary and Brian Gable is a great way to teach some of the more confusing words - homonyms and homophones - in a way that is humorous and understandable. The narrative is easy enough for our oldest to read, although I felt I had to explain many of the words. And we love the cartoonish illustrations. We enjoy these books and will look for more by this author at our library.
Salima Hart
This book is very useful when trying to teach students about homophones and homonyms. It starts off by explaining the difference between the two words and gives silly examples that children will love and enjoy. I really enjoyed reading this to my first grade class, and they seemed to enjoy it as well. The only thing about it is that it can get confusing if you do not obviously differentiate the difference in words. If children are simply listening to someone read it, it is easy to get confused b ...more
Naomi
Feb 18, 2015 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
Found this series accidentally at the library. Fun to read, helpful teaching English.
Ashley
Aug 13, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Okay, I don't put kids picture books on here often (I think this is the second one?), but this one is amazing. Sometimes at dinner, we amuse ourselves with thinking of homophone sentances, so when I saw this on the library shelf, I had to grab it. The kids think it is so funny (I think so too), and they are LEARNING in the process! Love it!! There are more in the series- we currently have interjections, adverbs, and verbs, and the kids are thrilled with them all. Who knew learning parts of speec ...more
Heather
Mar 08, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
We love this series. This one has been the hardest for them to understand, but once we took the time to look at each word as I read it, then discussed the meaning using different words, they caught on. The 6-yr-old was still a bit puzzled as he doesn't read as well as the 9-yr-olds (the different spelling was sort of lost on him).

An excellent example of homonyms and homophones though. It's one I'd like to own so that the kids can look at it over and over to really understand it. The illustration
Amber Lewis
I loved this book! It is a wonderful teaching tool that discusses the grammar topic of homonyms and homophones. Also, it's incorporation of rhyme makes this a fun book to read to students. This book can be used across 2nd and 3rd grade to help students learn what homonyms and homophones are, and how we must be careful when we are reading and writing to make sure we are using the correct spelling, as well as reading the word in the correct context when we see it in printed form.
Jessica Vu
"Mary (who's merry) can marry." This is a fun book with rhyming words, great cartoon illistrations, and of course, homonyms and homophones. This concept can be very confusing for students so I will be adding this to my library to help them.
Read prior to beginning a lesson on homophones. Then have students come up with some fun sentences on their own with more homophones the class comes up with.
Lillian Collier
This book is from a great series of books that explain language's idiosyncrasies, and uses funny illustrations. After this it may be fun to stop and notice them during reading and talking with students and after students have a strong understanding they can create illustrations themselves. Fold a paper in half and write the homophones such as "Pair" and "Pear" and illustrate the different meanings.
Codie Gates
Jan 14, 2012 Codie Gates rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was fun. It helps teach kids about homonyms and homophones. Homonyms are words that are pronounced and spelled the same but have different meanings. Homophones are two or more words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings and spellings. (See, I learned something too!) This book is full of awesome pictures and the rhyming is fun!
Lbrown107
Apr 19, 2012 Lbrown107 rated it really liked it
Very clear with simple definitions from the start. Once again I love highlighed words with differnet meanings and how you use them correctly. Lots of rhyming added in which made the book even more fun. I loved how they used thumb prints in some of the images; very unique touch to the illustrations. Over all this was a lovely book.
Kathryn Hogan
Very clear with simple definitions from the start. Once again I love highlighed words with differnet meanings and how you use them correctly. Lots of rhyming added in which made the book even more fun. I loved how they used thumb prints in some of the images; very unique touch to the illustrations. Over all this was a lovely book!
Lidra West
This is an EXCELLENT book for introducing homophones and homonyms to students. I did a lesson with my first graders and opened the lesson with this book and the lesson was not only a success it was a blast. The kids and I had so much fun with this lesson. I recommend this book to any and everyone.
Luann
Apr 09, 2010 Luann rated it really liked it
Quirky, rhyming text and even quirkier funny illustrations make this book a favorite at my school. I've used it in library lessons for a couple of years now and it is always a hit. My favorite line says: "Mary (who's merry) can marry."
Rita
Aug 30, 2011 Rita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grammar, rhyming
This is a great book to introduce Homonyms and Homophones. The book has a lot of great examples of the common grammar mistakes. It's a great book to also teach about rhyming and the illustrations are funny.
Debrarian
Jun 24, 2009 Debrarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jnf, poetry, reader
Very clever rhyming easy facts book illustrating the concepts: “A bee can be, a flea can flee, a Burro can burrow a hole; a horse can get hoarse from talking, of course. A ewe could take you for a stroll.”
Nicole
Very fun and entertaining book used to show homophones & homonyms! Good for introduction or reinforcement. There are tons of these books on grammar that you can carry out through out the year.
Chardell
Feb 11, 2010 Chardell rated it really liked it
Great story that introduces homophones and homonyms, which also has a wide range of vocabulary words the students can use.
Acton
Jul 01, 2010 Acton added it
Shelves: acton-academy
This fun rhyming book explains the difference between homonyms and homophones and gives lots of silly examples.
Fariba Aadelvand
Apr 17, 2011 Fariba Aadelvand rated it it was amazing
Shelves: la
About homophones and homonyms. I like that I can use it as an intro. Students love it for the pictures.
rebecca
Feb 25, 2011 rebecca rated it liked it
Now I know the difference between a homophone and a homonym! :)
Nancy
Mar 25, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it
Cute book that is part of a series by Brain Cleary.
Trinity
Mar 27, 2013 Trinity rated it it was amazing
fun.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Raz2
Raz2 marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Adabel Galvan
Adabel Galvan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
  • Nouns and Verbs Have a Field Day
  • Merry-Go-Round: A Book About Nouns
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference!
  • Punctuation Celebration
  • Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story
  • Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones
  • I Am Skippyjon Jones
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • Almost Gone: The World's Rarest Animals
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow
  • My Life as a Chicken
  • Math for All Seasons
  • Full House: An Invitation to Fractions
  • Potato Joe

Words are CATegorical (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • I'm and Won't, They're and Don't: What's a Contraction?
  • Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely
  • Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?
  • I and You and Don't Forget Who
  • A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What Is a Noun?
  • Pitch and Throw, Grasp and Know: What Is a Synonym?
  • Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym?
  • To Root, to Toot, to Parachute