Start by marking “The Self-Healing Cookbook: A Macrobiotic Primer for Healing Body, Mind and Moods with Whole, Natural Foods” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  214 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A macrobiotic primer for healing body, mind and moods with whole, natural foods.
Published December 31st 1988 by Earthtones Press

To ask other readers questions about The Self-Healing Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Self-Healing Cookbook

Heather
Apr 23, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-cookbooks
This was too "out there" for me. It's kind of new-agey with guided visualization and smelling your produce to see if it tells you that it's okay to eat and that your body wants that particular piece of fruit. It does have some sound nutrition principles which I agree with such as eating more complex carbohydrates and using fresh produce. Adding seaweed to everything is a bit much. And to truly do what you're supposed to with this diet would stress me out to no end. I have a hard enough time gett ...more
Sunshine
Jan 11, 2008 Sunshine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-cookbooks
This is a really good book for an introduction to macrobiotics. Even though it's called the self-healing cookbook, anyone can use it. It's more about learning how to choose what to eat, to trust your instincts and slow down. I have a new respect for foods now that I've learned how they combine to affect your mood and well-being. The illustrations are hand drawn and the type looks old-fashioned, but this cookbook is a diamond in the rough.
Erinina Marie
May 31, 2007 Erinina Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Self Healing Cookbook by Kristina Turner

This simple coloring book looking cookbook is an easy introduction to healing the body with macrobiotic principles. I enjoyed it's approach to balancing the bodies symptoms, rather than prescribing 'diets' to fall within. The whole idea is to listen to what your body needs, and to start recording how certain foods make you feel, so that hopefully you will need less actual 'healing.'
Laurasmoot
Kind of a masterpiece cookbook, theory and workbook about understanding macrobiotic nutrition concepts based on your own experience. I always give a copy to my nutrition clients.
Rhonda Kauffman
Sep 26, 2008 Rhonda Kauffman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to live a healthier life
A great intro to macrobiotics. And so cute! Great recipes and a wonderful outlook.
Kassie
Jan 14, 2008 Kassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This is such a helpful book ---I love the matching your mood to foods section
Denise
Jun 12, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heart to heart talk with the mind/body/soul.
Mar 08, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I do not own this book I make some of the recipes from it at least bi-monthly if not more often. They are always my most healthful recipes and make me feel better no matter what. I love the handwritten quality of this book and the cute, sort of ugly drawings.I highly suggest the soba noodles with sesame and miso dressing with veggies. I eat that all the time. I will buy this book soon because it is so useful. Much more approachable than many other macrobiotic cookbooks. (Of course I ...more
Tinea
This is one of those chatty, dubiously fact-checked, 'back to the land' style, heartwarming, DIY guides for living well. It's full of hokey exercises detailing how to sit quietly with food or enjoy it with friends. Overall, the book is a macrobiotic guide and cookbook, a bit hilariously at times combining a very local northern North America whole foods diet prescription with randomly selected Asian additions (though of course soy, fermented grains, and sea vegetables you can find or make in Nort ...more
Kristin
I love this book. It is definitely my favorite macrobiotic cookbook so far. The font and illustrations are reminiscent of a 1970s church cookbook, making it a fun, easy read.

It has most of the standard macrobiotic recipes you see in all the cookbooks of this type, but also so fun new ones I haven't seen before. But, the best thing about this cookbook is all the charts helping you to choose foods to correct mood problems and/or mild physical symptoms.
Susanne Walker
Jun 30, 2014 Susanne Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE this book! So many simple ways to heal and feel better with Whole Foods. Love the different charts Kristina provided on Food and Mood. Feel sad? Eat less of this and more of that.......
I've given this book out to dozens of clients!!!
Jeffrey William
Dec 18, 2008 Jeffrey William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is so great! i got it for free when i visited a nice natural physician in royal oak named stephen brink. i hardly had enough for the visit and he gave me the book. it's light in its approach, very digestible, no pun intended! it follows some macrobiotic principles for sure, but has a more softer feel to it. the main points are; taking time to enjoy and taste your food, the balance of food, yin and yang factors, emotion and thoughts connecting to food, and some more things i can't remem ...more
Mar 04, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, cooking
A good intro to a macrobiotic diet. Although I know I could never follow it strictly, it helped remind me to keep eating complex carbs like brown rice and beans, despite the whole low carb fad, and just eliminate things like white flour, white rice and potatoes. I could not stomach the sea vegetable kombu, but love the kukicha twig tea. This book also contained an interesting cleanse for women involving soaking in a hip high tub of twig tea and the strained liquid from boiled daikon leaves; it s ...more
Aug 20, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite macrobiotic book so far. It's a combination of explanation about the macrobiotic lifestyle and a compilation of fantastic recipes. It's very accessible, and it's fun. It's written with a lot of heart, and I found it very comforting to read in small doses as a very effective support for my lifestyle change. The recipes are easy and delicious. What I like about her recipes, too, is that they're colorful and (again) fun. I highly recommend this book. It's a great book to start w ...more
Hannah O'Reilly
Jul 25, 2007 Hannah O'Reilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: healthandhealing
The Self-Healing Cookbook is a unique book about the mind-body connection with eating. It feels less like a cookbook (although it does have some recipes) and more like a guide to finding the best balance of food for your body. Based in macrobiotics, this book provides a good overview of macrobiotic principles, as well as exercises to get in touch with your body and your health needs.
Amy
Jan 22, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: health nuts, those interested in a macrobiotic diet
Recommended to Amy by: Callie Hall
Just started on this one. Both nervous and excited about all I to learn!

UPDATE: Just finished a few days ago. An interesting more, personal, approach to macrobiotic eating. A little extreme for Matthew and I, especially at this stage in our lives. Maybe for down the road when we're old and decrepit and in need of some healthy revamping :)
Carol Maskus
May 12, 2013 Carol Maskus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first health cookbook. It was written a long time ago in the health movement, so it has that charming, homey quality. The ingredients are easy to come by, and many of the recipes are delicious.

Also takes a practical, intuitive approach to teaching macrobiotic philosophy.
Emily
Jan 14, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
a good explanation of macrobiotics with clear visuals and funny line drawings(reminiscent of those in Alicia Bay Laurel's "Living on the Earth"!). includes recipes, some diagnosis, and cleanse instructions. i checked it out from the library, but i'd like to own it for future reference.
Mayya Cherepova
Dec 05, 2013 Mayya Cherepova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the better macro books out there. Playful, flexible, easy to read. Super useful and inspiring.
Would love a digital version with updated "crunchy" yo's graphics :)
Daphne
Nov 14, 2009 Daphne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
The illustrations are enchanting. Just reading the handwritten recipes is healing. My very favorite "comfort" cookbook.
Cammie
Feb 29, 2008 Cammie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best and cutest cookbook about health that is also written like a reader. It is very doable and so charming.
Mckinley
Macrobiotics - ideas, suggestions, how to eat more than traditional recipe style cookbook.
Sonali
Jan 29, 2008 Sonali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, nutrition
Awesome hands-on interactive workbook!! Great for beginner wellness enthusiasts!
Steph Anne
Jan 04, 2008 Steph Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been my favorite macrobiotic resource guide for about 2 decades.
Jennefer Walden
a little far out there, but some good ideas
Kathleen currie
Sep 23, 2007 Kathleen currie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
luvin it so far, thanks lisa!
Deirdre Ventura
Deirdre Ventura rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Pat Newson
Pat Newson marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • Food and Healing
  • The Macrobiotic Way
  • The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics
  • The Book of Tofu
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
  • The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant
  • Eat, Taste, Heal: An Ayurvedic Cookbook for Modern Living
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • Vibrational Medicine: The #1 Handbook of Subtle-Energy Therapies
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • The Big Book Of Juices And Smoothies:  365 Natural Blends For Health And Vitality Every Day
  • Honest Pretzels: And 64 Other Amazing Recipes for Kids
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way