Start by marking “Plant Them Deep” as Want to Read:
Plant Them Deep

Plant Them Deep

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Medicine men and members of the Plant Watchers society report that sacred healing plants are disappearing from the Rez. In an effort to locate and protect the rare plants, the tribal council asks Rose for help. She faces strong opposition both from healers reluctant to reveal their secret herb-gathering spots and from people who think the Rez should be cultivated with gene ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Forge Books (first published November 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Plant Them Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plant Them Deep

Barbara P
After visiting Canyon de Chelly on Navajo land and hearing lectures by Navajo people and watching demonstrations by a Navajo potter and rug weaver I wanted to learn more about the Navajo Indians. This historic novel was suggested. What was fun was recognizing many of the Indian names of places, plants, clans, people, etc. This novel is about the struggles between the traditionalist Navajo people and western culture, in the workplace, eduction system and in families. Many young people are breakin ...more
Lisa Corathers
A very informative book from the authors of the Ella Clah, Navajo-senior-investigator-murder-mystery series. While Ella makes multiple appearances in the book, it is centered on her mother, Rose Destea. After her children go on to live their adult lives--which fortuantely for Rose involves living on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico--Rose finds her new path in helping the Dineh (Navajo) protect endangered Plant People. Rose's son, Clifford, a hataalii (medicine man) is also prominently featur ...more
Thea
I really liked the view point of Rose. I always thought she was a stick in the mud.
Michele bookloverforever
a senior citizen, Navajo traditionalist woman investigates the theft of valuable, rare medicinal herbs from the Navajo reservation. Interesting. This character is the mother of another heroine in another series by this author. This is a lot lighter fare than the Ella Clah series. I love the background of traditional Navajo beliefs and culture. Tony Hillerman would approve.
Gail
This book was different from the other Ella Clah books I've read in the series because the protagonist was Ella's mother, Rose. It was still a mystery novel, with much the same structure as the Ella Clah novels have. I keep reading these books because they are reliably satisfying and I continue to learn new things about life on the Navajo reservation.
Shomeret
I've always really liked Ella Clah's mother, Rose, so I was very glad to learn more about her involvement in the Plant Watchers society. I very much liked the focus on traditional herbal medicine. It was also an intriguing mystery with good characterization.
Ruth
Mar 18, 2009 Ruth is currently reading it
This is not about Ella Clah but about her mother, a traditional Navajo Plant Watcher (i.e.,gardener extraordinaire). It is an interesting but different point of view of Navajo life. I just enjoy reading an entire series...what can I say?
Christiane
If you want to enjoy a good mystery and learn a lot about Navajo Native American culture, this is the book for you, along with the Ella Clah mystery series. You only have to ignore the high amount of typos.
Sherri Vigil
The main character is Ella's mother... the old remedies so natural to the culture. Also beliefs to this day are viewed as superstitious to outsiders. I enjoyed this one very much because I respect.
Steve
Took me 10 months to read this because I kept putting it down. It wasn't full of sizzle, but it's not a bad yarn and mystery set in the south west, with Native American experience.
Mariana
I liked Rose Destea. She's a cool character, as an older Indian woman and grandmother. She's a widow with a faithful admirer, and she's into plants. I'm hoping for more books.
wheels
a Navajo native plant murder mystery. it did the trick of taking me elsewhere. i don't think i'm a murder mystery kind of reader, even if it's about native plants.
Earleen
I enjoy the books by Aimee & David Thurlo and Tony Hillerman because they are about the Southwest and the area I grew up in.
CK
Mar 06, 2011 CK added it
Shelves: southwest
Aimmee and David are lovely people. I had the pleasure of meeting them and sharing a meal thanks to a mutual friend.
Sandy
I love the closeness with the earth that is illustrated by the Thurlo's books.
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Pam
Pam added it
Jan 02, 2015
Janelle Fletscher
Janelle Fletscher marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Carol Merfeld
Carol Merfeld marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Rosa
Rosa added it
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
4712006
Aimee and David Thurlo are the authors of the Ella Clah mysteries, the Sister Agatha mysteries, the Lee Nez vampire novels all set in New Mexico. David grew up on the Navajo Indian Nation, and Aimee, a native of Cuba, lived in the southwest for forty years.

Aimée passed away peacefully at her home on the morning of February 28, 2014, after a brief struggle with cancer and related complications. She
More about Aimée Thurlo...
Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1) Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3) Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2) Red Mesa (Ella Clah, #6) Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)