Start by marking “The Book of Lilith” as Want to Read:
The Book of Lilith

The Book of Lilith

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Book of Lilith tells the story of Lilith, who was really the first woman created by God, and who just happened to have been created before Adam. Her job is to give all the things in the world souls, while Adam's is to create rules and law out of chaos
Published July 31st 2007 by Lulu.com

Robert
Dec 19, 2007 Robert rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: anyone over ten
First, let me be honest -- I wrote this book.

There. That said, I also read a lot -- I own a personal library with maybe 5000 books in it, mostly paperbacks, and have read close to a book a day, on average, over most of my life starting back when I was about 7. So I take books very seriously.

Here, therefore, is an author's review.

The Book of Lilith is a story that should make you laugh, and maybe make you cry, just a bit. It should make you think. Lilith (as some of you may know) is in Jewish myt
Sabrina  Williams
Feb 23, 2008 Sabrina Williams rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sabrina by: Breeni Books
The Book of Lilith is an extraordinary fictional account of the life of Lilith, here portrayed as the first woman of Creation rather than the succubus or demoness of certain myths. The story begins with the somewhat exasperated account of a college professor, perplexed at why he has been chosen as a key contact for the Iraqi woman who has salvaged a collection of scrolls she believes are valuable. The woman has been beaten, raped, and enslaved, but she still manages to trick her captor into allo ...more
Robin
Nov 03, 2008 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in spiritual philosophy
This is an astounding read. While I have a few issues with the writing style and the editing work, the author has done a phenomenal job of presenting an extremely mystical message in a story that seems concrete, despite touches of the fantastic. It is a myth for our times, in the true sense of the word; that is, a myth is a human-god story that helps us humans grasp some aspect or aspects of the nature of god.
Kristjan
May 22, 2008 Kristjan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody interested in thinking differently
Recommended to Kristjan by: rgb RobertGBrown
This story is a fantastical retelling of the mythic origins of man (and woman) told from a moderately feminist point of view with a fair amount of eastern philosophy mixed in. It begins with the presumption that Lilith was actually the first human soul and that through her love for others, God granted souls to all living things ... Including Adam, the first man. As the story unfolds, the author introduces from very interesting concepts about why we were created, what the soul does for us and how ...more
Connie
The history of religion has never been so much FUN! Oddly enough, the fun never obscures the history of the world... a clever balancing act, well done.
Lee Harmon
This is the true Book of Lilith, recently discovered beneath Iraqi soil and dated to about 4,000 BC. It's been painstakingly translated by Professor Brown, and an unnamed accomplice who prefers anonymity to unparalleled fame. (Do not confuse Brown's publication of the Book of Lilith with the forgeries of more noted scholars).

If you've never heard of Lilith, you're in for a treat. In Mesopotamian mythology, she is related to a class of demons, and in Jewish midrash, she's the first wife of Adam,
Tahni
About halfway through the novel I was rather angered by some of the things happening in the story - to the point that I wasn't liking the book. Until I got to the end and had that "Oh..." moment of realizing that the author was doing these intentionally as reflective of common cultural views regarding women, domestic and sexual violence. Having realized that I also realized that the book is amazing.

There's a lot of powerful imagery and head-spinning philosophies presented in a really strange, re
Cheryl Anne Gardner
A Tried and True rather interesting albeit dark sometimes comedic approach to the Myths of Creation...

Of course it all starts with an email. Why not! A mysterious email from a woman in a war-ravaged country, claiming she has discovered something that would change the face of archaeology and religion forever.

And here we get introduced to Lilith. God’s first creation of soul -- her duty, to give the world a soul. The story continues with the first person translation of the scrolls of Lilith – her
S.A. Alenthony
The Book of Lilith is Dr. Robert G. Brown's unique retelling of what is perhaps the most central human mythology: the story of our origins. A blend of satire of orthodox scripture and the ancient tales of the little-known first female, this entertaining book narrates a both literal and figurative trek from west to east.

The Book of Lilith presents, in modern vernacular, a translation of the Book of Lilith, a long lost but recently discovered manuscript found in Iraq. The introductory story by whi
Raggedyann
WOW! Just WOW! A fictional tale of the First Woman, Lilith, that sounds so credible, it may just join our group collective consciousness of Lilith. The points put forth as the basis for Adam's role for humanity, the concept of the original sin, and Lilith's growth of spirit are insightful and interesting.

Aside from the spiritual aspect for all of us, divorced women of controlling husbands will identify with Lilith and perhaps understand a little more clearly what was going on with their ex-husb
Jesse
May 14, 2014 Jesse added it
i can't open the book to read it
Momanddad
Fairly interesting myth. I wouldn't highly recommend this book to everyone, but did enjoy reading it. The author's story of how he obtained his information about Litith-the scrolls found by the Iraqi girl and emailed to him was actually the best part of the whole book. I loved the whole black humor of the girls terrible life and how she deals with her reality(multiple rapes, etc). I really wanted her story and her to be real and I wanted her to be rescued. It was the best preface I've ever read.
Courtney Anthony
I think I would classify this as magical realism. I didn't become deeply involved with the story on an emotional level -- the writing didn't create pathos -- but it made me think. Brown's background in physics gives this tale an interesting intellectual twist. I wouldn't say that he has full command over the craft of writing, though. Still, worth reading.
Stacy
I had a hard time with the introduction, to the point that I wasn't sure that I would continue reading this book. I ended up really enjoying the story, and was surprised on the feminist commentary at the books ending. I totally recommend this to my die hard feminist fans, specifically those who have an open mind to spirituality.
Tammy

Wow. What else can I say? I would love to be able to see or learn more of the scrolls on which this came from. Too bad they were probably destroyed with the explosion of the building/residence (though that man deserved such an end to his life).
Doug
For a work of fiction you will find more truth than you will in other "historically accurate" or "accepted versions of the truth"! The attempts at humour lift the mood now and again but many are ill placed.

Worth reading - yes!
Jessica
At first it was great then a bit wierd to follow. But I stuck with it and the story wasn't so bad. Diffently not for all people. Many people may get offended. But for others may give them a different way to look at things.
Mustafa Hyali
waste of time
Peter
Peter added it
Jul 25, 2015
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
LizzieB
LizzieB marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Jessica Condlin
Jessica Condlin marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Sara Rhea
Sara Rhea marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
m_miriam
m_miriam marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Andrea Fray
Andrea Fray marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Isabel Van
Isabel Van marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
  • The Book of Lilith
  • The Hebrew Goddess
  • Gods, Demons and Symbols of Ancient Mesopotamia: An Illustrated Dictionary
  • What's Under the Bed?
  • The Tumbleweed Dossier
  • The Book of Nod
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • An A to Z Walk in the Park (Animal Alphabet Book)
  • Dragons: A Natural History
  • Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion: An Anthropological Study of the Supernatural
  • In Search of Zarathustra: Across Iran and Central Asia to Find the World's First Prophet
  • The Book of Nonsense (Forbidden Books, Volume I)
  • Grandmother Moon: Lunar Magic in Our Lives - Spells, Rituals, Goddesses, Legends and Emotions Under the Moon
  • In the Beginning: Creation Stories from Around the World
  • Dancing with Dragons
  • The King Whisperers Power Behind the Throne, from Rasputin to Rove
  • Unholy Domain (PeaceMaker, #2)
  • Orphans Preferred: The Twisted Truth and Lasting Legend of the Pony Express
My real biography is way too long and complex for a few hundred words, so this is the reader's digest version. I've lived in Skaneateles, New York, New Delhi, India, West Springfield, Virginia, and for 34 years now in Durham, NC where I teach physics at Duke. I'm married (to Susan F. Isbey MD) and have three boys. We live with three dogs, one cat, and sundry transient animals of all classes.

In add
More about Robert G. Brown...
When Dead Things Dream