First Kiss (Then Tell): A Collection of True Lip-Locked Moments

First Kiss (Then Tell): A Collection of True Lip-Locked Moments

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Twenty-five bestselling authors for teens recount the story of their first kiss. Whether hilarious, heartwarming, dramatic, or regrettable, there’s something for every reader to relate to. Quotes, facts, advice, and artwork round out the collection.
Published December 26th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published December 1st 2007)

Geektastic by Holly BlackThe Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. RowlingHow They Met, and Other Stories by David LevithanKiss Me Deadly by Trisha TelepThe Ivory Tower - a short story by Kirstin Pulioff
YA Short Stories & Collections
98th out of 246 books — 80 voters
21 Proms by David LevithanSixteen by Megan McCaffertyGeektastic by Holly BlackThe Witch's Curse by David     JamesLet It Snow by John Green
Best Teen Short Stories
18th out of 24 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Author Cylin Busby has brought together some of young adult's funniest and most talented authors to reminisce about their real-life first kisses (or the second, or the third, or the twenty-fifth). In a collection that ranges from funny to bittersweet, from cringe-worthy to downright disgusting, this is one anthology that is guaranteed to have you laughing out loud.

A slimy first kiss that wasn't even wanted, the breathless anticipation of a first kiss that never...more
Mike
To find out whether or not this book is right for you, I've devised a simple test: just read the cover and the synopsis. Does the premise look interesting to you? If so, you'll probably like this book. Are you a fan of any of the authors listed on the cover? If so, you may or may not like this book, but you might as well read it anyway.

If you're not a fan of any of the authors, however, and the book doesn't look good, don't bother reading it. This is not a book that rises above its premise, or e...more
Rebecca
I just LOVED these stories. They were funny and cute, but sometimes just downright awkward or gross. It just was fun to relive funny memories of first kisses (and be glad I am not there anymore!). The book is a compilation of authors writing a small story of a first kiss, or even a last first kiss (that one was sad). I think that really any girl would love this book, its just the cutest.

Warning: I have to add this..or someone will be mad at me. Well almost all of the kisses, with the exception...more
Nicole
Apr 19, 2009 Nicole rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: absolutely no one
With a title like that, I knew I'd be horrified by the actual stories. And I was. Let me give you a glimpse into this collection: In her bio, the editor "claims she had her first kiss at age 14 (but in reality it was dangerously close to her 15th birthday)". Dangerously close? As though a bomb was about to go off but she saved the day by locking lips with a guy just in the nick of time. Barf.

And speaking of guys, almost all of the stories featured hetero kisses. Only 2 stories had gay boys and n...more
Beth
His name was Mike. I was old-- 15 and 3/4, and dreading turning sweet-sixteen-and-never-been-kissed. I agreed to play spin the bottle, hoping no one would be able to guess at my inexperience. I almost instantly regretted not holding out for someone I truly and genuinely liked.

Popular authors for teens reveal the stories of their first kisses - first kiss ever, first kiss with a new person, first LAST kiss at the end of a relationship...the memoirs, by the likes of Jon Scieszka, David Levithan, C...more
Eliza Brittni
Mar 14, 2009 Eliza Brittni rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: girls
Recommended to Eliza Brittni by: my friend Chelsea
Mimi
this book was so cute! my favorite was especially scott westerfeld's who decided to do a haiku:

halfway to Bio
my tongue tip glides the metal
just behind your lips

HILARIOUS! for a man wrote writes some good kissing in books, he had so little to say of his own first experience. some of the first time kissing accounts were mortifying and made me wonder how they werent traumatized for life. then some were really sweet, and some heartbreaking. made me reminiscent of mine...

A Haiku:
*clears throat*

Hard t...more
Marian
There's pretty much something for everyone, whether your first kiss was recent, hasn't happened, or it's been more than a decade. Some stories play on your emotions, some gross you out,and some would probably inspire fears I never would have thought of on my own.
Jessica
This book has to be one of the funniest books I've ever read. Even if you're not into the whole romance thing, this book is something I'd recommend reading!
Caroline
I love nerds. I love all these authors. I love reading kisses. I love random facts. I love this book.
Hillary
Justine's was the grossest, Scott's was the funniest, but I loved David's best!
Christine
Super cute short stories of first kisses. Fun read!
Snorkle
A collection of true first kiss stories.

The idea of this book was very intriguing to me, I found it equally interesting that famous authors wouldn't mind sharing their personal experiences with the masses. Being the nosy person that I am, I was totally for hearing their stories. This book had a wide range of stories, some were grotesque, disgusting, sweet, pathetic, weird, sloppy, and all were unforgettable. I liked most of the stories, I thought that they portrayed reality instead of the fantas...more
Victoria Frias
First kiss
The book first kiss is about many different kisses good ones,bad ones,sloppy ones,scary ones,hurtful ones, and the number one kiss the one that makes u tingle from head to toe. the book first kiss has 23 different stories and all different authors. my favorite one is about a boy and a girl. the girls name is Jessica and boys name is Jacob.the girl secretly likes the boy they never talk or make eye contact but one day after school the girl hears her door bell ring and she runs down sta...more
Robbie
Read more at rowijo.void-star.net!

* Reading level: Young Adult
* Paperback: 224 pages
* Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books [December 26, 2007]
* ISBN-13: 978-1599902418

Usually I feel that short story collections are not very popular with young adults, due to the use of short stories as a teaching medium in English classes. However, First Kiss (Then Tell): A Collection of True Lip-Locked Moments is an innovative anthology that breaks down barriers. Along with short stories, it also has p...more
Sisi Nzambi
Fist kiss(Then tell)is a collection of true lip-locked moments. It's a shor book of 212 pages, the book is edited by Cylin Busby. The book has 25 authors for teens telling the story of their first kiss. Some stories might make you cry, authers will make you laught. The stories are funny and cute, but sometimes it's awkward or gross. It just fun to relive funny memories of first kisses. I like and enjoyed read Fist Kiss(Then Tell) because I think one of the most interesting things about this boo...more
Heather
Rating: C-

Review: This is your typical short story collection. Some good, some bad, some redundant.

My favorites were:
-"Bad Reputation," by Cecil Castellucci (with implications regarding the influence of friends on the kissing dynamics);
-"Yeah, I Know," by Jon Scieszka (a down-to-earth guy's perspective that tells it like it is... smelling rubberbands?); and
-The she said/he said, "Our First Kiss (with each other)" by Shannon and Dean Hale.

There were two other good stories, but (because they were...more
Veronica
It was all about some of the authors that had their 1st kiss.

Marissa
I read this book because Shannon Hale (a young adult author I really like--who is LDS and shares my birthday) has a small story in here where she and her husband share their first kiss.

The book was kind of strange because really, do I want or even need to know the personal experiences of people I don't even know? How voyeristic is that? I felt a little odd about reading some of the stories (especially the homosexual first kisses--particularly the homosexual who loves all first kisses because of...more
Marina
I picked “First Kiss Then Tell” at the bookstore with my friend. I read the blurb and I instantly wanted to read it. It’s filled with a bunch of stories about kisses. It is funny, cute, and interesting. My favorite story was the second one it was so funny. It was about this girl who says she’s going to tell the story about her second kiss but ends up telling about her first kiss, which was offal. There are quotes and advice, poetry, also some comics so you get a mix of different styles of writin...more
Mary Coliet
A cute collection. I picked this up after reading the author's memoir, and the introduction to this short story collection was really a nice little "PS" to her memoir. At least we know she did turn out okay in her teenage years after all! (The memoir THE YEAR WE DISAPPEARED doesn't tell you how they end up).
This is for young girls (or boys) and I find it so sad that so many homophobes have come here to review this sweet, innocent collection (there is nothing even PG-13 rated in here!) But I gue...more
Tami Daniel
I thought that this book was funny but lacking in plot. There were too many author inputs.What's facinateing about this book is that ther authors are well known, for example there are writers such as: Scott Westerfield,David Leviathan, and Amy Ganter. I do warn that there are some scenes that may seem inapropiate. I would recommend this book to young teens who experience anxiety for their first kiss.

This book is a collection of stories of author's experiences with their first or second kiss. Som...more
Nikki
Nov 02, 2008 Nikki rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: 13-, 14- and 15-year-olds
Shelves: young-adult
I borrowed this from one of the writers who was part of it. At first, admittedly, I thought the idea was hokey--who would want to buy a book with just quick true stories about kissing? But considering that I want to write books for teenagers, this was actually a very helpful read! It was cool to read about motivations especially--whether they wanted to kiss their one true love or just really wanted to get a first kiss over with to say they'd been kissed. Plus, I never read this kind of stuff as...more
Pam
First kisses are mysterious to the young and romanticized by many. In the hands of YA authors like Scott Westerfield and Shannon Hale this book does a wonderful and varied job of shining a proverbial literary flashlight into the dark corners of the first kiss by having these master story tellers write about their first kiss.

An incredibly short and fast read; I loved it. There were times I was laughing, smiling, and even gagging. A terrific idea that will sure to captivate all 7th grade readers,...more
Meaghan
i thought the stories were going to be something more than what they were. each story was a few pages long, or shorter. some were good and some werent great. cool idea for a book though.
Allison
A bunch of authors' memories of their first kiss(es)... I didn't really identify with any of them SINCE THEY WERE ALL LIKE THIRTEEN. I don't know if I'm just weird, but I don't remember anybody really talking about kissing in middle school in my group of friends. All four of us. Okay, maybe I'm not the target audience. But I can at least weigh in that some of the stuff between stories was suuuuuuuuuuuuper lame advice. Did that sound like a thirteen year old?
Julie
The book was bettter than I thought it was going to be. The stories are short - as in some are 3 pages long! They are the true stories of YA authors' first kisses. As a fun twist, there are kissing facts and trivia found throughout the book. Quotes from celebrities are also placed here and there. Some of the authors sharing their stories include: Deb Caletti, Cecil Castellucci, Lauren Myracle, Jon Scieszka, and Scott Westerfeld. 21 in all!
Veray Carter
This is a book all about kisses. Great kisses, awful kisses, cute kisses. It made me want to kiss someone myself and made me think about my first kisses. I could only think of one bad kiss that I experienced and I was wishing that memory would go away. It was a quick read, but I enjoyed all of it especially the story of Dean and Shannon Hale. They must be a really cute couple.
Cassie
With a lovely mix of embarrasing stories, to romantic stories, everything fit together just perfectly. I enjoyed every story. However, skipped the one that told me to if I had a weak stomach. I know all in do time, I will bring myself to read that one was well. Thank's to all the author's for spilling what most people would keep to themselves.
Jill
I read this book because an author I enjoy wrote a story in it. First off, I thought he wrote more than just one. And his story was co-written and happened to be a graphic novel. Did I mention I dislike graphic novels. I deemed this book two stars only because I let out a chuckle here and there. Would I recommend it? Maybe to a tweenie.
  • Shelf Life: Stories by the Book
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
  • Does This Book Make Me Look Fat?
  • Love & Sex: Ten Stories of Truth
  • Fireworks (Four Summer Stories)
  • Friends: Stories About New Friends, Old Friends, And Unexpectedly True Friends
  • Journal infime (Lou!, Tome 1)
  • 13: Thirteen Stories That Capture the Agony and Ecstasy of Being Thirteen
  • The Intruders
  • Sixteen: Stories about That Sweet and Bitter Birthday
  • Missed Connections: Love, Lost & Found
  • Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy
  • One Hot Second: Stories About Desire
  • An Infinite Thread - A Merry Sisters of Fate Anthology (Vol. 1)
  • Sorcerers & Secretaries: Volume 2
  • 21 Proms
  • Orfe
  • Dirty Laundry
Cylin Busby is the author of several teen books and numerous articles as well as the acclaimed young adult memoir, THE YEAR WE DISAPPEARED. A former editor with Teen Magazine, she now lives in Los Angeles with her family.
More about Cylin Busby...
The Year We Disappeared: A Father-Daughter Memoir Blink Once The Campfire Crush: A Choose Your Boyfriend Book Bratz! Stylin' Slumber Party (Bratz) Date Him or Dump Him? The Dance Dilemma: A Choose Your Boyfriend Book