Start by marking “Shakespeare Stories” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare Stories

Shakespeare Stories

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Twelve of Shakespeare's plays are presented here in a fresh narrative form with much of the original language skillfully woven into the author's own prose.
Published March 3rd 1998 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare Stories

♥Xeni♥
This book frightened me a youngster. I think it was mainly the very disturbing artwork, although Shakespeare himself did come up with some bizarre scenes!

Still, this book did contribute to my modern-day love of Shakespeare's works, something that I will always be grateful for. You can't really count yourself a great reader (in my eyes anyway) if you don't find yourself with an affinity for some of the prose and verse that this man (or whatever, conspiracies aside, for this review) had used/inven
dale paul
Jul 12, 2007 dale paul added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A beginner
This book aids in one's first attempt at tilling the garden that is the mind for the arduous task of planting Shakespeare in the brain. The plays are broken down into detailed summaries that would make great bedtimes stories for young ones, save a few. It doesn't have all the plays, but most of the good ones. It does include snip-its from Shakespear's pen which is a plus.
Suzanne Vincent
This book and it's companion volume II are an excellent way to introduce young readers to Shakespeare. Read-alouds for 2 through 5 graders, and read-alones for 6th through 9th, they are well-written, include numerous direct quotes from the plays, follow the storylines faithfully, and are punctuated with some beautiful ink and watercolor illustrations.
Gwennie
I bought this book with my allowance when I was in 6th grade...adn I still love it to this day. These are faithful retellings of Shakespeare's plays in story form...and they include much of the beautiful language. Reading these helped me learn to love the plays as I got older.
Azriella
While this is not a collection of Shakespeare's plays, it is the basic stories that Shakespeare wrote. It is a good book to give to children in order to introduce them to Shakespeare.
Holly
Shakespeare Stories is perfect for introducing the Bard to readers who are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with reading in play format.
Leah
This book was my first introduction to Shakespeare. My dad read the stories to me when I was little. I love the illustrations.
Kathleen
Starting with King Lear, my daughter's gruesome choice. She's a rapt audience so far.
Elise
Read frequently by Constance. She likes it every much.
Elisheva
Elisheva is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2015
Victoria Webber
Victoria Webber marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Saeed Abdollahi
Saeed Abdollahi marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Sam  Ng
Sam Ng added it
Feb 18, 2015
Elly Phillips
Elly Phillips marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Aspen
Aspen marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Mason
Mason marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Sadaf & Nadeem
Sadaf & Nadeem marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Canterbury Tales (Puffin Classics)
  • Cleopatra
  • The Friendly Shakespeare: A Thoroughly Painless Guide to the Best of the Bard
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Becoming Shakespeare: The Unlikely Afterlife That Turned a Provincial Playwright into the Bard
  • The Handy History Answer Book (1st Ed.)
  • The World of Columbus and Sons
  • Wise Words: Family Stories That Bring the Proverbs to Life
  • Tales from Shakespeare
  • Short Story Masterpieces
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of "The Odyssey"
  • Free?: Stories About Human Rights
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • Beowulf: A New Telling
  • The Tale of the Firebird
  • City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction
Leon Garfield, the distinguished author of more than thirty books for children and adults, has won numerous literary awards and honors, including the Carnegie Medal. Before his death in 1996, he lived in London with his wife, author Vivien Alcock, and their daughter.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Gar...
More about Leon Garfield...
Smith Black Jack A Midsummer's Night Dream (Shakespeare Stories) Macbeth: From Shakespeare Stories The Strange Affair of Adelaide Harris