Start by marking “About My Life and the Kept Woman: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
About My Life and the Kept Woman: A Memoir

About My Life and the Kept Woman: A Memoir

The untold personal life story of the novelist whom Gore Vidal has hailed as “one of the few original American writers of the last century.” John Rechy’s first novel, City of Night, is a modern classic and his subsequent body of work has kept him among America’s most important writers. Now, for the first time, he writes about his life, in a volume that is a testament to th ...more
Published January 21st 2008 by Grove Press (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about About My Life and the Kept Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About My Life and the Kept Woman

Rj
Jan 27, 2015 Rj rated it liked it
This week I picked up John Rechy's new memoir About My Life and the Kept Woman (New York: Grove Press, 2008). The book written in his usual peculiar but engaging style details his early life in El Paso, Texas and his fascination with a woman who was a kept woman for a leading Mexican politician. The image of this woman stayed with him for the rest of his life and became a symbol of style, decorum, class and invulnerabilty. An image Rechy used to formulate the persona he developed as a hustler in ...more
Ellen Young
Apr 14, 2009 Ellen Young rated it it was amazing
I loved Rechy's novel, City of Night, which told the story of his hustling in big cities. City of Night was a scandalous best-seller in 1963 (I can imagine!).

This book covers some of the same territory is more personal and starts with his childhood as a light-skinned boy of Mexican/Scottish descent living in poverty in El Paso. At first, I found this memoir interesting but slow; a long section describing his high school relationship with a girl goes on too long. But the more I read, the more me
Adam Dunn
May 12, 2015 Adam Dunn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt
Interesting reading the reviews here some say they wanted more of Hustler Rechy and some say they wanted more of Childhood Rechy. I think it can be agreed though that this book leaves you wanting more.
Rechy invented the prose he uses in his other books, the sexmoney and the frantic style of the chase, and he leaves much of that behind here. There seems to always be the line with Rechy of what you tell and what you don't, of how much you hide behind the posture to please the client, in this case
Lisa
Nov 08, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
After reading the very amazing "City of Night", I was very tempted to read Rechy's other offerings.
I just got a massive parcel from Amazon, and this was one of them. I've just started reading it, and it's about growing up as a half Latino, half Irish boy in El Paso. Will see how it goes, but I love Rechy's narrative style, so I'm sure I'll dig it.
Matthew
Oct 05, 2009 Matthew rated it liked it
This took me two months to get through, though that's probably my fault and not John Rechy's.

Do you ever read something that's pretty good, and maybe it's actually interesting more than it is technically good, but somehow it's completely inspiring anyway and makes you want to just write and write and write? Well, for me this is that book. I want to write now.

Randy
Jun 04, 2013 Randy rated it liked it
I am glad I stuck with it. Once the author gets himself to Los Angeles the story becomes more complex. The first third of the novel confused me as if the author himself was confused about the meaning of his childhood. I don 't think this story is about a gay man. I think this is a story about a Hispanic American man who became a hustler and discovered his ability to write.
Margaret Robbins
Jul 20, 2012 Margaret Robbins rated it really liked it
Overall, I thought this was a good book, and I enjoyed it. I thought the end part about his life in California dragged a bit, and I was more interested in his childhood and college years. I thought it was an interesting exploration of identity, and particularly for the first half of the book, I couldn't put it down.
Wendy Bird
Feb 17, 2015 Wendy Bird rated it it was amazing
Rechy tells a little bit more about himself and his personal story with each coming book. He's a fascinating man and the revelation about the kept woman is well worth waiting for. He has come full circle. Love him and his work.
Jeff
Jul 12, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
After reading this entire memoir by Mr Rechy, much of which involves him engaging in sex acts with men, it's still not clear to me if Mr Rechy is straight, gay, or bisexual, or (as the constructionists would say) whether those terms have much meaning.
Kenneth
I read John Rechy's first book, City of Night when it was first published in 1963. I was about 23 and too naive to appreciate what a good writer he is. I am tempted to reread City of Night, but it seems to be almost 800 pages. This is a beautifully written book and a compelling story.
Tlcp
Feb 22, 2011 Tlcp rated it really liked it
Biographical...this can happen to someone...
Jon Varga
Rechy's novels are never disappointing. This long-awaited autobiography is good and interesting, but it never packs the walloping punch that I had expected.
Anton Halldin
Anton Halldin rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2009
Bliss
Bliss rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2008
smcdonaldpoet
smcdonaldpoet rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2010
Steven Ruszczycky
Steven Ruszczycky rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Sevada
Sevada rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2008
Sherman
Sherman rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2011
Query Books
Query Books rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Krista
Krista rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2013
Gary Grey
Gary Grey rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2010
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2008
Patty
Patty rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2009
Jessie
Jessie rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2012
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Mat Marquette
Mat Marquette rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014
DoctorBuckles DoctorBuckles
DoctorBuckles DoctorBuckles rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Kat Dixon
Kat Dixon rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2012
James M.
James M. rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
John Rechy is an American author, the child of a Scottish father and a Mexican-American mother. In his novels he has written extensively about homosexual culture in Los Angeles and wider America, and is among the pioneers of modern LGBT literature. Drawing on his own background, he has also contributed to Chicano literature, especially with his novel The Miraculous Day of Amalia Gomez, which is ta ...more
More about John Rechy...