Start by marking “In Odd We Trust (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Odd We Trust (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #1)

In Odd We Trust (Odd Thomas Graphic Novel #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  6,101 Ratings  ·  306 Reviews
“Meet a young man named Odd . . . who helps the dead get even."

From the infinite imagination of #1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz comes the suspenseful graphic-novel debut of a natural-born hero with a supernatural twist.

Odd Thomas is a regular nineteen-year-old with an unusual gift: the ability to see the lingering spirits of the dead. To Odd, it’s not such
Published June 24th 2008 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about In Odd We Trust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Odd We Trust

Matthew
In working my way through the Odd series, I discovered that there are 3 graphic novels right in the middle. I decided to check these out between Odd Hours and Odd Interlude. When I first picked up In Odd We Trust, I was surprised to find not the traditional graphic novel, but a Manga-style book.

The comics are prequels to the series. However, I think reading these after knowing the events of the first few books (publication order) adds to the experience by adding points of referrence. In fact, I
Nate
Oct 23, 2009 Nate rated it did not like it
I liked Odd Thomas #1, had mixed but mostly positive feelings about the others, and am a fan of graphic novels, so I thought this would be at least decent. So wrong. Unnatural dialogue, lazy plot, stupid and unbelievable character reactions and attitudes.

I'll change some plot details slightly to avoid anything beyond mild spoilers.

1) Let's say there's a teenaged character whose father comes home. The father says, "Hey, how was your day?" The teenager responds, "Hello father. I had a satisfying
Theresa
Apr 25, 2009 Theresa rated it liked it
This one was a let down because I was expecting so much more.

First, I was expecting nice glossy pages with color not a smaller than trade paperback sized book with regular paper pages and all black and white graphics.

Second, I was expecting a more complex story not just Odd Thomas, local cook who also sees ghosts, helping the police solve a crime. This could have been more complex but it the telling of the story both in narrative and in graphics was very simplistic.

Third, it being Dean Koontz,
Trisha
Jul 02, 2008 Trisha rated it liked it
This was my first trip into the world of graphic novels. Having already been in love with the Odd Thomas series for a few years, it was a good place to start.

My favorite part of the whole book was being able to put faces to the characters and also getting a glimpse of the world of Pico Mundo, California where Odd and Stormy live. What took some getting used to was the simplicity of the writing and the over-the-top drama that's added to the dialogue. Keeping in mind that graphic novels are basica
Valerie
Feb 09, 2012 Valerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: male-protagonist
This is my second attempt at Koontz or third, I can't be sure. This one reminded me a little of the first I'd read. It had a regular guy who didn't want to be famous, doesn't want to live in a big city, or anything but possesses a gift. In this case he can see ghosts. There is a girl, she's pretty and tough. They been together for a few years I think. The only reason they haven't gotten married is because something in Stormy's past still prevents her.

The illustrations surprised me because it loo
Raelynn
Aug 09, 2016 Raelynn rated it liked it
I wanted to give this 4 stars but I was definitely let down. I expected more from Koontz the "NY times multi best selling author". More mystery, more drama, more detail. He can write some pretty great 400+ page novels so what the heck happened here?
Cristi-Lael
Aug 07, 2015 Cristi-Lael rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Nope, didn't enjoy this at all. The art was good, but the story and dialogue were fairly lame. I haven't ever read any Dean Koontz novels before, and I have to say that this does not give me the desire to do so.
Shadow Ninja
Mar 17, 2017 Shadow Ninja rated it it was amazing
This book on goodreads is another that has an insane amount of troll negative reviews, this graphic novel, given its my first, was phenomenal. It was a quick read but it kept interest and made me want to read more of Dean Koontz's Odd thomas novels. Def a 5/5 and If you like supernatural type books and mysteries, I'd def check this out even if its your first graphic novel, def worth the time and money!
Nicholas Jobe
Aug 23, 2009 Nicholas Jobe rated it it was ok
I’m not too sure what to say about this one. As I stated previously, Odd Thomas is a brilliant book, and one of my favorites. It’s had some good-but-not-as-good-as-the- original sequels. But now it’s traveled into new territory: the graphic novel. In Odd We Trust is a prequel to the first book, and fits into the same level as the sequels (not quite as good as the first).

The story here is that Odd Thomas, a young fry cook who can see the dead (though they don’t speak), who tries to help them eith
JG (The Introverted Reader)
In the small town of Pico Mundo, an unassuming fry cook by the outlandish name of Odd Thomas has a special ability; he can see the dead. They can't speak to him but they have their own ways of communicating. After the murder of a small boy, Odd sees his spirit wandering around. It's obvious the boy wants justice. His nanny, an old friend of Odd's girlfriend Stormy, is worried that the killer might be targeting her other charge, a young girl. Odd and Stormy vow to do what they can to help protect ...more
Cathy
Feb 28, 2009 Cathy rated it it was amazing
I am not familiar with Dean Koontz, although I know the name and I know that some of my students have read things from this author, but when I saw another main stream author with a graphic novel, I figured now was a good time to check him out. (Other authors adapting a familiar character/series to graphic stylings: D.J. MacHale - The Merchant of Death: Pendragon Graphic Novel; Neil Gaiman - Coraline; Stephen King Gunslinger: The Dark Tower; Erin Hunter Warriors series).

This book introduced me to
Sofie
Oct 18, 2013 Sofie rated it it was ok
Shelves: gee-1-12
"In Odd we Trust" we meet eighteen year old Odd. He works at a dinner and is known for his awesome ability for making pancakes and his gift of talking to dead people. Actually he can only see them since spirits can't talk. The town sheriff tends to talk to him about his murder cases and Odd usually communicates with the dead victims to catch the guilty party. Catching the murderer sets the spirits at peace and they are able to cross over. Odd is dating an Orphan named Stormy, who he has been dat ...more
Desiree Brunelle
Jan 07, 2015 Desiree Brunelle rated it really liked it
in odd we trust is about a guy " my name is Odd Thomas, and i see dead people" who also is a great fry cook that makes amazing pancakes in a dinner run by a women named terry who is very nice. the whole story is about a boy named joey who is stabbed to death by a stalker who leaves unmarked letters cut out with magazine letters. Odd's friend stormy is the one who keeps getting the letters because she is the one who is a baby sister for multiple kids. Odd, Stormy (odds girlfriend), Sherry (stormy ...more
Tim
Jun 14, 2012 Tim rated it liked it
I have read the first two Odd Thomas books, the first of which was intriguing and entertaining, and the second of which was quite disappointing. Nonetheless, I have the next two novels and will rad them. Picked this up at a used bookstore, and thought "Huh! Graphic novel!" So off I went to read it, which is set in the time before the end of the first novel (you'll see why), and entails finding the murderer of a young boy who enlists Odd's aid; the revelation of the murderer, his motive and the d ...more
Gareth Otton
Feb 21, 2014 Gareth Otton rated it did not like it
I don't really have much good to say about this graphic novel.

I have recently read the first two books in the Odd Thomas series and the characters in this graphic novel share the names but nothing else. At no point did I feel as though this was an Odd Thomas story but instead it felt like some lame fan-fiction.

The characters were so far removed from their novel counterparts that Odd was barely more than a boy who walked from scene to scene just to tie the story together and for some reason Sto
Matt R.
Jan 09, 2010 Matt R. rated it liked it
Shelves: dean-koontz, 2010
This was my first graphic novel. Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors which is the reason I decided to give a graphic novel a try. The story is decent but I prefer novels over comics. I enjoyed comics when I was younger but graphic novels are just not as interesting to me as a good novel. I know some would argue that a graphic novel is not a comic, but I don't see it. To me, the only difference is that a graphic novel has a bigger price tag. Glad I borrowed this one from the library. 3 star ...more
Nancy Reynolds
Nov 13, 2014 Nancy Reynolds rated it it was amazing
I love Odd Thomas books, so I thought that I would give this one a try. It's not the format that I am used to reading, but since my daughter is always buying these graphic novels, I thought I would give this one a try. I am glad I did. I really enjoyed the format and it was a nice change of pace from reading my usual novels.
Karen B.
Mar 24, 2016 Karen B. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: odd, read-2016
Big disappointment! Too much info left out to flow smoothly. Although I like graphic novels this one did not do justice to the regular Odd Thomas novels I have read. The artwork, other than Stormy's portrayal was poor. Odd looks like his head is on backwards. The dialogue is stilted. Most of all it cost way too much money!
Christine
Jul 25, 2010 Christine rated it did not like it
It was awful. I cannot believe I wasted an evening reading this graphic novel. The language was stiff and not what you come to expect from Dean Koontz. I am not sure who the target audience was for this but I felt the novel was dumbed down to the point of being unrecognizable. I will stick to Koontz's novels from now on!
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I thought it was fun. (view spoiler)
Lori
May 20, 2009 Lori marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-not-yet-read
A gift from a fellow goodreader (Thanks Mandy!)
April
Oct 10, 2015 April rated it really liked it
A quick enjoyable read.
Joanne Myers
Mar 17, 2017 Joanne Myers rated it really liked it
I need to read the Odd Thomas series, then I noticed my library had the graphic novel prequels available so I went with those first. I've seen the film (RIP Anton <3) so I know the basics about Odd and his strange lifestyle.

I really enjoyed this story, we get to meet Odd and a few of the other characters. We also get to see him put his abilities to use.

Looking forward to reading the second one.
Kristy McPherson-Leitz
I liked the novel versions of the Odd Thomas series when I was younger, and I read The Dreaming by Queenie Chan in high school, so I thought I'd enjoy this. However, the plot was much more juvenile than I remember, and there's something about Queenie Chan's art style in this book that I just could not get past.
Shelania Johnson
Jan 21, 2017 Shelania Johnson rated it really liked it
Another great story by a great author. It gives a simplistic understanding of the spirit world and how we can communicate with the other side. And sometimes the spirit world chooses to speak and move through the least of us.
Fred
Jan 29, 2017 Fred rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Overall the drawing are very good, I read twice to confirm the drawings of Terri Stambaugh & Stormy Liewellyn. The other major character's drawings are easy to pick up in the first read, Sherry Sheldon (character with glasses), Odd Thomas, Police Chief Porter.
Alyssa
Jan 26, 2017 Alyssa rated it really liked it
I like this comic story. It was interesting. It had details. Picture quality was alright. Reminded me of anime. It had some parts of the story happen out of thin air but that's okay. Good short read
Reed Benson
Jan 31, 2017 Reed Benson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of non-Japanese artists drawing Manga style; mystery fans
Weird climax, but it was worth it.
Taksya
Jan 12, 2017 Taksya rated it it was ok
Shelves: serie, horror, fumetti
Primo di tre prequel in stile manga delle avventure di Odd Thomas.
In bianco e nero, classico dei manga e deludente per buona parte del pubblico che si aspettava una comic novel. Disegni non eccelsi, ma passabili. Trama assurda e dialoghi banali.
Per quanto particolare e assurda sia la serie madre, qui siamo a livelli proprio bassi, con comportamenti e situazioni paradossali, ma in senso negativo.
Può essere considerato un assaggio per chi vuole avvicinarsi la saga, ma temo potrebbe allontanare i p
Lindsay
Jan 07, 2017 Lindsay rated it did not like it
DNF - Sorry I enjoyed all the Odd Thomas books (mostly) but this had all the exciting plot and deep character story of an elementary school play.
  • The Haunted Earth
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Demon Child
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography
  • Predators
  • The Dean Koontz Companion

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

Odd Thomas Graphic Novel (3 books)
  • Odd Is on Our Side (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #2)
  • House of Odd (Odd Thomas Graphic Novel, #3)

“If I ever sold my soul, it'd be for you.” 1 likes