Start by marking “Dawn and the Big Sleepover (The Baby-Sitters Club, #44)” as Want to Read:
Dawn and the Big Sleepover (The Baby-Sitters Club, #44)

Dawn and the Big Sleepover (The Baby-Sitters Club #44)

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  1,159 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Dawn organizes a huge fundraiser to help out a Native American elementary school. As a reward to all the kids who helped, Dawn throws a massive sleepover in the gym. It's a baby-sitting job she'll never forget.
Published February 1st 1992 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Dawn and the Big Sleepover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn and the Big Sleepover

Ciara
this book is preposterous. the premise is that second- through fifth-graders at stoneybrook elementary school are participating in the pens across america program, & have been assigned pen pals. their pen pals all attend an elementary school on the zuni indian reservation. the book opens with the pike kids showing a staggering lack of sensitivity to other cultures. adam is all bummed out because his pen pal has an "anglo" name & isn't named, like, thomas flying eagle or something. he is ...more
Jenn
Aug 18, 2013 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: bsc
This was book 100 for the year for me woot woot! :) And I actually really liked this one, even though Dawn is usually pretty boring and whiny. Also, I didn't remember much about it so that was a nice surprise. But let's talk about this cover for a minute. First, those boys pillow fighting? Kristy would put the kabash on that immediately. And I'm pretty sure the boy in red is wearing one-piece pj's...possibly footies. The girl (?) in the pink is seriously scary, I think she might be an alien. And ...more
Laura Hughes
Dawn and the rest of the club members organize a fundraiser when Stoneybrook Elementary’s sister school--a school on a Zuni Indian reservation in New Mexico where the children are pen pals with SES children--burns down. Kids get really excited when Dawn gets a local toystore to donate awesome prizes; a big sleepover and pizza party at the end of the event are further incentives.

This is a "BSC event" book for sure, with most of the book concerning the details of running the fundraiser, problems a
Swankivy
Apr 22, 2013 Swankivy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Suddenly, for Purposes of Plot, Dawn and all her schoolmates happen to have American Indian pen pals in an exchange program thing. But then they get bad news that the Zuni kids' school burned down (along with some houses) and they want to do something for their pen pals to help them get back on their feet after the disaster. This is an extremely nice gesture but it kinda bothered me that a bunch of kids in another state (who are, of course, predominantly white) had to assist the poor native peop ...more
Vy
Oct 06, 2013 Vy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something so touching about this book, that I can't really fully put into words. The BSC is always encouraging their charges to be the best people they can be, and I felt as if this book really showed not just how important it is to help others out, but just how amazing children can be. Their kind hearts and giving ways always put a smile on my face, and this book just made me really happy. The way the children tried to fundraise money and all the things that went wrong were hilarious; ...more
Lisa
Jun 18, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know, i liked this one. It was all cute and heart-warmy and provided a few giggles (Haley Braddock's gypsy routine. My gosh!) The idea of that sleepover makes me want to crawl the bottom of the sea, just to avoid it, but overall a good BSC.
Nancy
Oct 31, 2013 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereading
In which STFUDawn organizes a massive sleepover at school to cap off some fundraiser she also organized. Snore.
lisa
Dec 07, 2016 lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dawn decides to extend her white, privileged largess to the poor suffering Zuni people by throwing a party for the white, privileged kids of Stoneybrook. This book infuriated me when I was young because it was a racist piece of garbage. I remember making my mom read it, and she was mad too, and we tried to find out who "Harry and Sandy Colt" were. (They're the people who got a special thanks because of their information on Zuni culture.) My mom tapped all her resources at the schools, and at the ...more
Shira
in this book (which I'm pretty sure is the first ghostwritten by Peter Lerangis! that's huge, considering how many of them he would go on to write) the kids of stoneybrook elementary school have zuni penpals in the southwest. there is a fire in their reservation, and their school and many of their houses are burned down. dawn is really bummed, and in a kristy-like move, decides to DO SOMETHING about it: create a campaign to raise funds and collect donations of food, clothing, etc. to help out th ...more
Julie Decker
Dawn and other students in her school have a pen pal exchange program with some Zuni students, and then one day they find out their school burned down, so they decide to try to help their friends out. A yard sale has some speed bumps when some of the items for sale were swiped from kids' parents, and the lock-in for charity doesn't go so well when some kids get homesick or anxious.

The sudden insertion of Native American pen pals was stretching credibility, but when they seem to have been invente
April
Mar 16, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, childrens

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Rachel Brand
Jun 02, 2008 Rachel Brand rated it really liked it
I thought I'd read this book as a child but obviously didn't as I didn't recognise any of the plot. The story was fairly decent for a BSC book and taught some useful life lessons but definitely wasn't anything special. It's also obvious that this is one of the first ghostwritten books - although Lerangis obviously hasn't developed his distinct BSC style yet! All in all, a decent book but not one I'd rush to reread. 7/10

On another note, my edition is particularly cute as there is a library pocket
Alex
Oct 15, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
I downloaded this to read while stuck in an airport, and it definitely helped pass the time. I always loved this one, for reasons I can't really fathom, and it was still a lot of fun to read now.

Also, is that Claudia on the right? If so, why is Dawn having to hold her back from starting a stuffed animal fight?
Amanda
Aug 20, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it
I used to love these books when i was younger and found a couple at a book sale. It was nice to read again. They are still as good as I remembered.

This one is focused on Dawn and how she helped the neighborhood kids to learn how to help others. Its good storyline that i think would promote kids to think about how they could in turn help others.
Sally
Apr 29, 2009 Sally rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, bsc
Dawn goes all hardcore OTT organising a huge fundraiser-sleepover... sigh.
Rachel
Mar 21, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the one where they started using the adjective "dibble", which is also when I knew I was outgrowing the series
Lauren
Jul 27, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dawn had a very good idea.
Amy Holcomb
Oct 03, 2013 Amy Holcomb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Baby-sitters Club series was my favorite growing up! :)
Rhiannon1220
Aug 06, 2008 Rhiannon1220 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This whole series is great for girls between 11-15 years old. I read every last one of them as I was growing up.
Maria Elmvang
This is one of the more less-than-realistic books, but it's fun :)
Kate
Feb 24, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok
Fun book that children can easily relate to.
Moriah Baxster
Jan 11, 2008 Moriah Baxster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids
It was really funny. I liked it.
Rebeccadanielle
Rebeccadanielle rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2011
Ginny
Ginny rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Books4m
Books4m rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2012
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2012
Jack-e
Jack-e rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
  • Psychic Sisters (Sweet Valley Twins, #70)
  • The New You (Girl Talk, #3)
  • Starlight Christmas (Saddle Club, #13)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)