Start by marking “The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword (The Hedge Knight Graphic Novels, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword (The Hedge Knight Graphic Novels, #2)

The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword (The Hedge Knight Graphic Novels #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  4,863 Ratings  ·  238 Reviews
Follow the sequel to George R.R. Martin's 'The Hedge Knight' as Ser Duncan the Tall and his squire Egg make their way into the countryside and find themselves in the midst of a new adventure.
Published June 18th 2008 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Hedge Knight II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hedge Knight II

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
www.melisa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I loved this graphic novel as much as the first one.

Dunk and Egg have taken up with Ser Eustace. They end up going out to find out why their water supply has stopped. It turns out The Red Widow has built a dam and stolen their water. There are rumors that she is a witch and has killed several husbands and Dunk has to make her see reason.

This turns into a fight back and forth between The Red Widow and Ser Eustace. It seems The Red Widow has the okay from the K
Nermin
Sep 29, 2014 Nermin rated it it was amazing
Targaryen count : 1
Booby count : 0

But despite the shortcomings mentioned above, this book was wonderful. Artwork was absolutely amazing, much better than the previous Hedge Knight and the Game of thrones comics.

So here's, as promised, our gallant hedge knight ser Duncan the Tall:

duncan photo duncan_zpsda0327db.png

This bald dude is Egg, by the way, Aegon Targaryen who will end up being the king Aegon V.

duncan2 photo dunk_zpsff0f36dd.png

duncan3 photo tall_zpsf35318a9.png

Sir Duncan the hot duncan hot photo dunkhot_zps03cf17fa.png

this is red widow and Dunk totally has a crush on her

red widow photo redwidow_zps6f65fd9b.png

But red widow is fiery and hot tempered and likes to sla
Sud666
Jun 19, 2016 Sud666 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fantasy
This is the second part of the Hedge Knight Graphic novels. This one is better than the first. The continuing tale of Ser Duncan the Tall and his squire Egg (one day to be Aegon the Unlikely). This time after the events of the tournament on Ser Duncan and Egg-they travel to serve under a Lord named Eustace. It seems the on the other side border is the infamous Red Widow who has diverted a river to fill her moat for the castle known as Coldmoat. Ser Duncan volunteers to serve Ser Eustace in this ...more
Richard Tran
Sep 29, 2014 Richard Tran rated it liked it
An interesting continuation of Hedge Knight which follows the story of Dunk and Egg a year after the preceding book.

The story was a bit trivial as it was mainly a device to show how noble of a knight Dunk is despite his poor beginnings. The secondary theme to this novella revolves around a rebellion between brothers for the crown. It basically says that the winners are always good and the losers are always evil despite the fact that they were both fighting for who they thought was the true king
Eyehavenofilter
Finally found this after months of searching, and I was not disappointed. It is richly illustrated in both black and white line drawing and full colour with nothing omitted. Duncan the tall and his " squire ' Egg ' are traversing Westeros in order to lay low after Duncan entered a tourney and drew blood and the ire of the cruel and vain Prince Aerion. If not for Egg, Dunken the tall would surely paid for this transgression with his life.
Many secrets are hidden in these graphic novels, and it wou
Ricardo Mota
Aug 31, 2014 Ricardo Mota rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Primeira vez que li George R.R. Martin em formato BD. Devo dizer que me agradou muito. O complexo mundo de Westeros fica incrivelmente bem quando mostrado graficamente - e aqui a arte é exemplar. Como se esperaria de uma publicação com o selo Marvel.

A BD é rica, envolvente, com um ritmo adequado sem descurar pormenores importantes. Só pela qualidade da arte e pelo toque do bom papel o livro já merecia nota positiva. Mas há mais.

A Espada Ajuramentada continua a história de Duncan e Egg, depois d'
Matt
Sep 29, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. A 6 issue graphic novel that takes 6 issues before the lead character strikes his first blow. This book is about the intricate webs that bind the different characters into loyalties they frequently wish they could flee.

Hedge Knight II weaves a great story as Ser Duncan the Tall (fleeing his upbringing as Dunk the Lunk in Fleabottom district in Kings Landing) strives to maintain the commitment to loyalty and knighthood Ser Arlan taught him. Things go wrong when he finds himself on the
Silvana
Dec 05, 2016 Silvana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ASOIAF fans
My copy has finally arrived!

I gave three stars for the e-book version when I read it a few years back but for this particular edition with its AMAZING artwork, it deserves another star. Much much better than the hideous AGoT graphic novels.

The part when Ser Eustace told the tale of the Battle of Redgrass Field is just totally mesmerizing. Daemon Blackfyre and Bloodraven in da house! And now that I see how the Red Widow - Tywin's feisty grandma - looks like, I totally get Dunk's infatuation wit
Nelson Zagalo
Aug 31, 2014 Nelson Zagalo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
Não sigo a série Game of Thrones, recebi este livro de prenda que fala de histórias passadas 100 anos antes da série TV. Gostei bastante, embora não me tenha surpreendido, tanto narrativamente como em termos de ilustração. É um bom trabalho, mas soa realmente a complemento do núcleo principal narrativo, como que a dar mais detalhe sobre o universo, sobre as vivências, os afazeres, as hierarquias, as honras e todo o seu sistema social.
Acredito que possa ser bastante mais interessante para quem s
Everlaine (BookCaptain)
This volume picks up a year or so after the last and follow Hedge knight Duncan the tall and his squire, Egg.
The artwork was just as great, if not better, but the story felt a little irrelevant. Last time the story had more of an impact and this time it just felt a little like filler material. Still it had some interesting flashes to the Blackfyre rebellion and I really like Dunk and Eggs relationship.
I really wish there were more volumes about these characters, feels like there are a lot more
Kim
A must for ASOIAF maniacs like myself. If you really love the world of ASOIAF you shouldn't skip this one. Some really great background on the Blackfyre rebellion. Also, an interesting look at Bloodraven's role in the rebellion. He's only going to be increasingly relevant in future ASOIAF volumes.

And I just love Dunk. What a character. Plus every time I see his shield I think of Brienne and then my heart hurts.
Jenna
Sep 29, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this much more than the first volume of the Hedge Knight and definitely more than the Game of Thrones graphic novel adaptation. I'm not sure if it was an adjusting of the panel layouts and the speech bubbles (I could hardly read any of the font in the GOT GN). Interesting glimpse into the history of Westeros, although I wanted a family tree of the Targaryans, since I always get their names mixed up....

The romance also felt a bit forced but wasn't horribly done.
Jim
Dec 28, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
This was an ebook, but I don't see that edition available. It was a good continuing adventure of Dunk & Egg right on par with the Hedge Knight. It takes place just a year or so after that story, so about a century before the main series. Well worth reading.
Vojtěch
May 21, 2016 Vojtěch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Na mě možná chvílemi až příliš textové, chyběla tam větší akce, což mi ke stylu středověké fantasy moc nesedí, ale jinak po grafické stránce dost pěkné.
Ivy
Very good graphic novel. RIP animals. The Red Widow seemed very interesting. Hope they got their water back. Hope See Duncan and Egg have fun on their next adventure.
Johanna-Nanook
Nov 23, 2014 Johanna-Nanook rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
five stars for the story and about three stars for the art style.
Tony Calder
Oct 20, 2016 Tony Calder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very enjoyable story about Ser Duncan the Tall. This one takes place about 2 years after the events of The Hedge Knight. This is more of a standard story than readers of Martin may expect, although Martin himself only provided the general plotting, and the dialogue was provided by Ben Avery - as was the case in the earlier graphic novel. The feel of Westeros and the history hinted at during SOIAF are present, and it is nice to get stories from a time when Westeros was (somewhat) less ...more
Michelle
Nov 04, 2016 Michelle rated it liked it
This sequel was so so. I wasn't as invested in this one like I was in the first book. The first one was excellent in every way. Dunk and Egg <3
Daniel Orozco
Nov 13, 2016 Daniel Orozco rated it really liked it
Greeeaaaat!!!
Mark
In some ways I think that the Dunk and Egg stories could suffer because of being billed as A Song of Ice and Fire prequels. Oh, I don't doubt that it brings them attention they would have otherwise not gotten, but being as they are set around a hundred years before the events of the books/show, it's tough to argue that they are about the same general thing. It's another story set in the universe and, probably, George R. R. Martin feels like he can't do work on Dunk and Egg when the main plot is ...more
Kereesa
Sep 29, 2014 Kereesa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Martin/ASOIAF and medieval fantasy
Recommended to Kereesa by: Nicholas Cyr
The sequel to Martin's The Hedge Knight, albeit in graphical novel form, Sworn Sword is endlessly more fascinating than its predecessor with a stronger plot, a more variable and grey cast, and a underlying discussion on history, perspective, and the old saying there are two sides to every story.

I really enjoyed the first The Hedge Knight graphic novel. It was fun, exciting, and brought me back into the world of ASOIAF, even if not in the same time. Sworn Sword, however, was a much better piece;
Book Walk
Aug 31, 2014 Book Walk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Die Graphic-Novel Der Heckenritter II. Das verschworene Schwert, basiert so wie Band eins auch, auf der Kurzgeschichtensammlung Der Heckenritter von Westeros von George R. R. Martin. Im zweiten Teil sind die beiden Protagonisten, der Heckenritter Ser Duncan der Große und sein Knappe Ei (Egg von Aegon) in der Weite unterwegs, welche sich aktuell in einer der schlimmsten Dürren der letzten Jahrzehnte befindet. Beide haben sich in die Dienste von Ser Eustace begeben und versuchen herauszufinden, ...more
Matt
May 17, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The graphic novel adaptation of the second of George R.R. Martin's Dunk & Egg novellas, not only stays true to the originally written story but gives it life with fantastic renderings of all the characters, the locales, and the action. Drawn by artist Mike S. Miller and livened by colorist Mike Crowell, The Sworn Sword gives both "Game of Thrones" book and show fans a great look into the history of the Seven Kingdoms as Ser Duncan (Dunk) the Tall and the future King Aegon (Egg) V learn about ...more
Kenneth
Sep 29, 2014 Kenneth rated it really liked it
Great second installment. Even though this story follows two of the more important people in Westeros, they aren't quite famous yet. Because of this, the tale affords us a glimpse at the life of people we aren't used to focusing on during the canonical pieces in a Song of Ice and Fire. It's basically all the stuff that Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan always complain about not having on the Hollywood Prospectus. (I love those guys and listen to them pretty much every Monday, but, at some point, ...more
Jose Brox López
4.5 estrellas.

Dibujo: 4. Impactante, pero algo peor que el anterior. A veces las caras no están bien dibujadas (hay una viñeta en la que Egg parece un monje shaolin de nivel 5).

Guión: 4. Es complejo e interesante. Lo malo es que esto ya lo he visto antes: me ha recordado un montón a la película (view spoiler), que es un clásico.

Diálogos: 5. Hay pocos cómics en los que leer los bocadillos mejore la experiencia. Éste es uno de ellos (se nota, una vez más
Loránd Szakács
Check out the review of the actual story here.

The illustration is again top notch. Well worth buying even if you read the story before. By far my favorite part is the depiction of the Battle of the Redgrass fields.

Also, at the time of writing of this review, it is the only cheap way of getting this story in a physical format. The Legends II anthology in which the story was originally published is out of print, and used versions are 60$ and up. Although, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms will be rel
Jeroen Smits
Jun 24, 2015 Jeroen Smits rated it liked it
Sworn Sword picks up a few years after The Hedge Knight, with the same main characters Ser Duncan and Egg. They are now in service of Ser Eustace, whose land has gone dry after the river dried up. They find out someone built a dam, and a clash is bound to happen.

The story surprisingly knows very little blood and death, except for some of the history that is told. The first half of the book is filled with lots of monologues and dialogue which isn't ideal for a comic book, especially one with grea
Krista
Dec 02, 2014 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take my review with a grain of salt: 1) I don't normally read a lot of graphic novels, and 2) I do love A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones. So I was inclined to really like The Sworn Sword.

It was great! These graphic novels are another enjoyable-to-read addition to George R.R. Martin's world of Westeros. It's set before the Song of Ice and Fire series, and is an illustrated version of a novella that outlines the time Aegon Targaryen spent as a squire to Ser Duncan the Tall. Later in their
Travis Gomez

Ben Avery is becoming more comfortable with his interpretation of "The Sworn Sword" 2nd installment of the Dunk & egg series by George R.R. Martin. I enjoyed this even more than the first novel the hedge knight with its more sombre colour palette. I particularly like the portrayal of lady Rohanne and the clash between dunk and the Longinch was well executed.
I would have liked to see more background information on the blackfyre rebellion which is the setup for the next installment of the seri
Kristopher
Sep 29, 2014 Kristopher rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fiction
On of the pleasures of The Song of Ice and Fire series is delving into the detailed history and genealogy Martin has worked out, but those mammoth-sized books also have room for plenty of action as well. This was an ok addition to the main series (especially since the main series is on indefinite hiatus), but half the page-count is swallowed up by rote recitation of past battles and shifting alliances, with only one real action sequence in the 6-issue collection.

The central story is a conflict
Goodreads Librari...: Need author disambiguation 6 27 Nov 19, 2011 07:00PM
  • The Mystery Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #3)
  • On the Origin of PCs (The Order of the Stick, #0)
  • The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One
  • Red Sonja, Vol. 1: Queen of Plagues
  • The Witcher: House of Glass
  • Conan, Vol. 1: The Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories
  • The Art of George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire
  • Magician: Apprentice, Volume 2
A believer in the need for positive, all-ages entertainment, Ben Avery created and wrote Zondervan’s graphic novel series TimeFlyz and the comic book miniseries ArmorQuest to entertain readers with an exciting story, but also inspire and encourage readers to stand up and make a difference in their world. Avery’s comic book career began when he was selected by George R.R. Martin to work as the ...more
More about Ben Avery...

The Hedge Knight Graphic Novels (3 books)
  • The Hedge Knight (The Hedge Knight Graphic Novels, #1) (A Game of Thrones Graphic Novel)
  • El caballero errante (Novela gráfica) (Vol. 3)