Start by marking “They Found Him Dead” as Want to Read:
They Found Him Dead

They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde #3)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,095 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
It is the morning after wealthy Silas Kane's sixtieth birthday party - a celebration that brings to light a number of familial controversies. When Kane he is found dead at the foot of a cliff, the assumption is that he simply lost his way in the fog and fell by accident. But the subsequent death of his nephew and heir and threats on the life of the third Kane, the newest h ...more
Published 1952 by Heinemann (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about They Found Him Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Found Him Dead

Tweety
This kept me guessing!

One of Heyer's better mysteries IMO, the characters are enjoyable if not all likable and the plot clips along at a good pace. I did have pretty good idea as to who the murderer was, but it didn't spoil the story for me.

The romance was rather sudden starting in chapter one, but it worked and I liked the two of them. I really did enjoy this and you can't beat the imp Terrible Timothy, who goes about getting into mischief and helping the detectives solve the case.

Recommend
Hannah
Another genuinely fun Golden Age mystery by Georgette Heyer.

On a foggy evening, conservative businessman Silas Kane irritably celebrates his 60th birthday with family and business associates and then proceeds to walk off a cliff - the apparent victim of an accidental fall. However, not 2 weeks later his heir, Clement Kane, is found shot through the head in his study. Afterwards, the 2nd heir to the Kane fortune, Jim Kane, is experiencing a series of misfortunes that may or may not be "accidents"
Amy
Georgette Heyer is a reliable comfort read. Her books are breezy, light, and uncomplicated, typically featuring a murder in a country house. As usual, there are two completely different female characters: one practical and organized, and the other totally bananas; their respective love interests; a host of wacky characters/suspects; one completely nefarious character who is so terrible it's obvious that he is a red herring; and the sensible police detective. Everything gets tidied up in the end ...more
Jessica
Jan 28, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The only other Heyer mystery I've read (No Wind of Blame) reminded me of Wodehouse. This one made me want to read Wodehouse instead.
Abigail Hartman
Feb 15, 2015 Abigail Hartman rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed The Grand Sophy so much that I keep returning to Heyer's novels, hoping for such another light, fun read. So far - with Regency Buck, Why Shoot a Butler?, and now They Found Him Dead - I've been pretty disappointed. The Grand Sophy has brilliant characters, crackling wit, and just the kind of romance I enjoy; the others, especially the two mysteries, have either unlikeable or unremarkable characters and more banter than real wit. Jim Kane and Patricia Allison are nice enough, but since ...more
Pamela Shropshire
This book is set in the Golden Age of British detective fiction: between the two world wars. The events occur at a country house of a solidly upper middle class family; at stake is a fortune of a quarter of a million pounds.

The head of the family dies in a presumed accident when he falls from a cliff path on a foggy night during his customary bedtime walk. A cursory investigation doesn't reveal any evidence of foul play; indeed, at the end of the story, we still don't know for certain that he wa
Debbie
Jan 28, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
"They Found Him Dead" is a mystery set in the 1930s in England. I think this is my favorite of the Heyer mysteries that I've read so far. The characters were nicer and less, um, neurotic, than normal, so I actually liked them rather than simply finding them interesting or amusing. The humor in this book was provided by Timothy's youthful ideas and antics regarding the murder. I found all of the characters complex and engaging.

As usual, Heyer introduced a large number of characters at the very be
Sensitivemuse
Feb 05, 2010 Sensitivemuse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find that when I read Georgette Heyer novels, I keep on thinking; "Okay this one was better than the last one I read..." then I read this one and it's like: "Okay nevermind, this one was THE BEST one I've read so far!" I have a feeling that's going to keep happening whenever I read one of her mysteries (I still have yet to try her regency ones). I absolutely loved this one and will put this one up as one of my favorite mysteries from Heyer as of yet.

As usual, there is a rather large list of s
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
Silas Kane just turned sixty and everyone has gathered for the occasion. The party is not going so well as it is marred with arguments. When money is involved nothing can ever go well. Silas decides to go for a walk in the fog and the next morning he is found dead. Everyone thinks it was just a accident, that he slipped and fell of the cliff in the fog, but then someone shoots Clement, the hier.

Now we can tell that this murder mystery is all about who will inherit, Silas Kane's money and who ha
Linda
Jan 20, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two big biographies in one month required a frothy little read to cleanse the palate before I dig into the February titles. So I grabbed a Georgette Heyer mystery — "They Found Him Dead" — from a stack of them prominently displayed at the Meadowridge library. The placement and the luscious colors on the cover instantly hooked me.

Over the summer, I read my first Heyer mystery, "Why Shoot a Butler," which I described as a "romp." But I have to admit that Heyer mysteries just don't have the same s
Ely (Tea & Titles)
Originally posted at http://abooksofathomless.blogspot.com...

I feel like Georgette Heyer is one of those authors that really isn’t as popular as she should be. Most of her books (of which there are about fifty five or so) are regency romances a la Jane Austen, twelve of them, however, are crime/mystery novels. I love murder mystery novels, I honestly do- so it’s no surprise to me that I adored this book.

Characters play a massive role in mystery novels, as does the plot- you may think this is the
Ann
Jan 21, 2014 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, anglophilia
This is a classic English mystery novel from 1937. Silas Kane, principal partner of a prosperous business, falls off a cliff and dies. Is it an accident or murder? Then a few weeks later, his heir is shot. So now the business changes hands once more, much to the consternation of the extended Kane and Mansell families. Then it becomes clear that there is more murderous intent floating around.

The strength of the book is in the characters. There's Emily Kane, a cantankerous but not stupid old lady,
Andrea
One of Heyer's weakest mysteries, with the culprit painfully obvious from around a third of the way through. There is some leavening humour, from Timothy's exploits to Rosemary's incredible narcissism. The (already-settled) romantic relationship falls flat for me, since Jim switches from dismissing and not taking Patricia's concerns seriously to taking them seriously and trying to hide all developments from her. I really can't take "protect the fragile woman" stories.
Hope
Mar 07, 2016 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fair to middling mystery. The multiple murders kept me guessing, yet somehow the ending seemed anticlimactic. More than anything I enjoyed the fine narration at Audible.com. Birve does an excellent job with both male and female voices. Her characterization of Rosemary was laugh out loud funny.
Kathryn
Oct 18, 2010 Kathryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
They Found Him Dead is another Heyer mystery. Like the others I've read so far, it was an English country house murder mystery, in which there's a relatively small number of suspects, and the characters are likeable. Hannasyde and Hemingway are the detectives in this one.

I got suspicious of the culprit long before any of the characters, and spent the last third of the book yelling "WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SUSPECTS THIS GUY?!?" I was a little disappointed that I was so far ahead of the charact
Helen
Jul 28, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable, if at first slow-moving, mystery in the tradition of Agatha Christie's non-detective mysteries. The plot is complex, the murders connected, and the characters alternately annoying and charming at this English country house in a much slower, more genteel time. There are a number of characters to keep track of at the opening dinner party, but they quickly sort themselves out as one ends up dead, and then another. Close calls abound, self-absorption runs rampant among some of the char ...more
Donna
May 05, 2009 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Silas Kane is found dead at the bottom of a cliff after going for a stroll on a foggy night, the police deem it death by misadventure. Timothy Harte believes he was murdered. When Silas's heir is shot within days, the police realize they are looking at someone who has killed twice. Trouble is the main suspects all seem to have alibis for one or the other murder.
Heyer has a subplot of a Victorian romance entwined with the mystery. The characters are somewhat shallow and the dialogue lacks
Jessi
It took me along time to finish this book. Usually I really, really like Georgette Heyer's mysteries but this one was not one of my favorites.
Silas Kane's sixtieth birthday ends in tragedy when he apparently walks off a cliff during a foggy evening. However, his nephew's half-brother suspects murder. As a teenage boy though, the young Mr. Harte is disregarded until Silas' heir also dies. When the third in line for the family fortune starts getting close death calls, everyone starts to take the
Kim
May 03, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Another fun 1930s mystery and a very entertaining read. I loved Terrible Timothy and laughed a lot at the perfectly dreadful Rosemary and the character (whose name I no longer remember) with appallingly behaved children. I also liked the fact that Superintendent Hannasyde had a bit more to do than he did in his last outing. It wasn't hard to guess whodunnit, although a bit harder to work out how it was done. This didn't make the book less enjoyable, though. I'm looking forward to the next Heyer ...more
Sheryl Tribble
Hadn't read this before but still knew "who dun it" halfway through the book. I'm not that good at solving mysteries, I don't think -- it's just the author's prejudices seem to determine who gets to be the bad guy. *sigh*

But I don't read mysteries for the mystery anyhow, and I enjoyed the characters, so it's all good. I particularly liked that the first victim wasn't someone the reader is clearly expected to despise; on the contrary, he's a nice enough guy most people didn't realize his death wa
Rebecca
Wealthy Silas Kane lived in a Cornish manor house with his irascible mother and his mother's lovely young assistant, Patricia. When some of the family gathers for a house party, along with Kane's long-time business partners, it ends up with Silas at the bottom of a cliff. Everyone figures it was an accident, and the meek Clement Kane takes up the family fortune and the reins of the family business. The partners, the Mansells, are gung ho for a risky Australian venture that Silas refused to permi ...more
Annette
Oct 10, 2015 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a death following a family celebration of Silas' 60th birthday. In fact, it appears that Silas accidentally fell off a cliff and died on the rocks below.

His heir is Clement. Clement and his greedy wife move into the family mansion and shortly after that, Clement is found dead in his study.

What in the world is happening here? When Scotland Yard's Inspector Hannasyde and Sgt Hemingway arrive, they find too many suspects and nothing makes sense.

This is a wonderful example of a British mano
Kerrie
Feb 27, 2015 Kerrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It takes quite a while for Superintendent Hannasyde to make an appearance, in my estimation about half the novel has passed before he is called in, and then only after the second death.

Meanwhile the reader has explored the Kane family. I may have found this less confusing if I had been reading with my eyes rather than my ears. The author has the tendency to refer to characters sometimes by first name and sometimes by surname. It took me quite a while to work out they were not two different peopl
Christiane
Nov 24, 2010 Christiane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This was so much fun right up until the rather abrupt and not so satisfying climax. I love how Heyer creates fabulous characters and maintains suspense but I find the endings of her mysteries not quite worth the previous 300+ pages. In this book, rich businessman Silas is found dead at the bottom of a cliff; possibly he lost his way in the fog, but when his heir is found shot to death it's obviously no accident....
 Carol ♔ Type, Oh Queen! ♔
A better done romance than is usual for Heyer mysteries, Terrible Timothy is a wonderful secondary character & the always welcome & sparkling Sergeant Hemingway. I did feel the story got bogged down a bit towards the end though.

But the murder & solution were good!
Jennifer Warner
I knew who did it and why about a third of the way in. I spent the rest of the book wondering why none of the characters could figure it out, and hoping I was in for some massive twist. Nope.
Historygirl
Feb 22, 2014 Historygirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Although Heyer is better known for her regency romances, the eight mysteries she wrote are also enjoyable with trademark characteristics of humor and romance. They Found Him Dead is not as tightly plotted as others and depends on those farcical coincidences in which numerous people are in the same place at the same time, but no one saw the murderer. However, it is worth reading for period details from motor car design to fashion details. Also, some of the characterization of the secondary charac ...more
Dianne
Feb 07, 2014 Dianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written, entertaining, light murder mystery featuring Hannasyde. First published in 1937, with one possible murder, one definite murder and two attempts, it is cleanly written without gratuitous violence, explicit sex or foul language.

Centre stage is taken by the fourteen year old Timothy Harte who has seen too many American gangster and Wild West movies. With many of the character traits of Richmal Crompton's William Brown, he latches onto various individuals, helping them in their duti
Sallie
Mar 16, 2016 Sallie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I've read most of Georgette Heyer's Regency romance novels, and some of her mysteries. Don't remember this one, which isn't to say I didn't read it years ago, or even last year since my memory doesn't seem to retain much these days. I need a light, fun read, so here goes.

It took a bit longer than I planned to finish this, since I decided to finish Secret Garden first, as it was lovely to read her descriptions of spring coming to the Yorkshire moors. Similar spring happening in my yard, only slow
Nancy
A 2 because I forgot to write a review when I read it and forgot entirely what it was about or who did the dire deed, or deeds.

ANOTHER family-centric plot. Although with a bit more interesting personalities. But still, 3 of the 4 mysteries I have read so far by the author were built around family (a birthday, christmas and a smaller family unit).

Timothy turns up in a later book as does his 1/2 brother - which is what twigged me on the fact that I had actually read this one.

Of the 3 others about
Madison Mega-Mara...: "They Found Him Dead" by Georgette Heyer 1 1 Oct 03, 2013 05:04PM
English Mysteries...: September 2013 - They Found Him Dead 42 111 Sep 28, 2013 12:37PM
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • Love Lies Bleeding (Gervase Fen, #5)
  • Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16)
  • The Singing Sands (Inspector Alan Grant, #6)
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey, #15)
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer, and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance novel and one thriller each year.

Hey
More about Georgette Heyer...

Inspector Hannasyde (4 books)
  • Death in the Stocks (Inspector Hannasyde, #1)
  • Behold, Here's Poison (Inspector Hannasyde, #2)
  • A Blunt Instrument (Inspector Hannasyde, #4)

“My dear girl, don't talk nonsense to me! You're lazy, that's all that's wrong with you. Why don't you take up social work?” 14 likes
“I just told them that dear Uncle Silas has gone away on a long journey," she said. "They're such mites, you know, and I've never let them hear about Death, or have ugly toys or stories about ogres and things. I mean, I do frightfully believe in keeping their little minds free from everything but happy, beautiful things, don't you?” 2 likes