Start by marking “Lincoln and the Tools of War” as Want to Read:
Lincoln and the Tools of War
Preview

Lincoln and the Tools of War

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Bruce chronicles President Lincoln's struggle against bureaucratic red tape and his dealings with the colorful parade of inventors, ordnance experts, bureaucrats, military officers, and lobbyists who heralded a new era in warfare.
Published October 1st 1989 by University of Illinois Press (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Lincoln and the Tools of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lincoln and the Tools of War

Chris

Finally finished this sucker. It took me several months and only on a plane ride where I skimmed it did I finish. Too many names, too many details and no consistent story line made it a very dated and tough read. In Lauren Hillenbrand's hands, I believe that this book could have been a bestseller because it has enough interesting content to be so. I did find it troublesome that the war could have been over so much sooner with a different ordinance officer to stay nothing of the generals...
Hartley
Mar 22, 2011 Hartley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any civil war table
Really the best book I read about the workings in Washington during the war and Lincoln's involvement. Here in my little town, we contracted to make Springfield 1861. The owners of the factory fleeced the government until Cameron was thrown out.
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Man Solo
Man Solo marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2013
Bruce
Bruce added it
Oct 29, 2008
1877: Year of Violence Bell: Alexander Graham Bell and the Conquest of Solitude The Launching Of Modern American Science, 1846 1876 1877 - Year Of Violence