Start by marking “Gaia: Chikyū Wa Ikiteiru” as Want to Read:
Gaia: Chikyū Wa Ikiteiru

James E. Lovelock

Gaia: Chikyū Wa Ikiteiru

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
James Lovelock is a world-renowned scientist and inventor whose work on detecting CFC's (chlorofluorocarbons) in our environment led him to develop a new theory about our planet. The Gaia Hypothesis posits that the Earth is alive-a self regulating organism in its own right. In his two other books on the subject, Lovelock set the record straight on the damage that CFC'c hav ...more
191 pages
Published 2003 by Sanchōshuppan (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Gaia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gaia

Phil
Jan 13, 2013 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this incredibly inspiring and very interesting. I was a bit skeptical at first but after reading the whole idea makes PERFECT sense. This is an old book and I am aware there has been revised versions and more research carried out, but the principle is sound. This book is written in a manner that is easy to read and follow but the science is also relatively convincing.

It's enlightened me a little and I like to think it provides just as much hope as a warning for climate change and how we
Maya Panika
I admit I struggled, I was thoroughly bored.

I think that was probably my edition, which is so heavily illustrated and diagrammed - it felt like a 2nd year Geography textbook, I found the illustrations distracting and took my mind off the gist of the book - also, maybe, I knew too much to be excited. The theory is very familiar to me, I was hoping for fresh insights but in a book as old as this one, that was probably overly optimistic.

If you're totally new to the concept of Gaia; if the Earth an
Stuart Aken
Nov 05, 2010 Stuart Aken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If only everyone would read this book, they would have a better understanding of the complexity, interaction and interrelation of life and the planet. We might then stand a chance of keeping this small world safe for our children.
Aaron Hirsh
Apr 27, 2007 Aaron Hirsh is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scientists/environmentalists
that you can warm the earths atmosphere through the use of the chlorofluorocarbons contained within spray paints, etc. he later added a note that this is not a good idea, but it is plausible.
Charles
Some interesting points about the Gaia Hypothesis and how the Earth could be cured, I have a different approach myself, but if you are an environmentalist it is worth checking out.
Leabelle
I would like to think Lovelock is right.
Jason
Jan 04, 2010 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: green
Fascinating but also easy to follow.
Lauchlin
Dec 19, 2013 Lauchlin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Lauchlin
Dec 19, 2013 Lauchlin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Wolf
Wolf marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Emme
Emme marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Emil
Emil marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Saltymedic
Saltymedic rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Rossana Isola
Rossana Isola is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Jack Henry Kraven
Jack Henry Kraven marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
jburke
jburke rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Katya Littleton
Katya Littleton rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2015
Theresa Barkasy
Theresa Barkasy marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Pablo
Pablo marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Josue Moreno Vázquez
Josue Moreno Vázquez marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Claire Thompson
Claire Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Sydney Maples
Sydney Maples marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Paul Cardwell
Paul Cardwell rated it really liked it
May 28, 2015
Tim Evans
Tim Evans rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Lesley Thomas
Lesley Thomas rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

James Ephraim Lovelock, CH, CBE, FRS, is an independent scientist, author, researcher, environmentalist, and futurist who lives in Devon, England. He is known for proposing the Gaia hypothesis, in which he postulates that the Earth functions as a self-regulating system.
More about James E. Lovelock...