Start by marking “How to Photograph Your Baby” as Want to Read:
How to Photograph Your Baby

How to Photograph Your Baby

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  95 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A clear and concise guide to photographing children.
Published April 26th 1999 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about How to Photograph Your Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Photograph Your Baby

Marcie
Jul 04, 2008 Marcie rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! A lot of it was stuff I already knew, but there were some great tips about lighting and the examples were awesome! If you know nothing about photography and want to take better pictures of your kids then I would make this a MUST-READ.
Feb 10, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
I borrowed this from my friend who's a photographer and really liked it and learned a lot from it. It is older and was written in the film era, but it wasn't really about technical camera stuff, just general good ideas and rules of photography (especially for kids). I saw there's a new edition of it that probably deals with DSLR cameras, which would have been nice. I liked the simple "rules" in this book and the very, very clear difference that following those "rules" can make, as shown by pictu ...more
Sarah Gioia
Feb 09, 2016 Sarah Gioia rated it liked it
A good basic guide-very basic. If you really don't know anything about photography this is going to make your pictures look a lot better right away. It's very easy and straightforward, written with new parents in mind. There's a few film specific tips which mostly won't apply now but the majority of it is timeless photography help.
Melissa
Jul 30, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: read-in-2007
This is a great (& short, I read it one evening) book. I have taken many photography classes & was a manager of a photo lab for 10 years & I still learned from this book. My pictures of my baby improved immediatly by following the tips in this book. I even won a photo contest with one of the pictures I took. I recommend this book to anybody who has children (not just babies!) or who has a child in their life.
Budd Dwyer
Jan 23, 2010 Budd Dwyer rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who can't afford "Show Me"
Recommended to Budd by: Joseph Smith
The best book ever about how to photograph your baby is called "Show Me" and was published in the Netherlands about 35 years ago. Unfortunately, it was forced off the market by crazy right wing religionists who called its pictures of genitalia obscene. Perhaps we are entering a new age of enlightenment and it will be available once more.
Christina
Jan 05, 2010 Christina rated it liked it
This book was a bit too basic for where I'm at with photography. He goes into getting close, finding good light, and turning off the flash. For a beginner's manual, it's awesome and I'd highly recommend it, but it wasn't what I was looking for. On the plus side, it's a quick read with good photo illustrations to make the point.
Rachele
Oct 30, 2015 Rachele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hobbies
This is an excellent excellent book for the average picture taker with a newborn. It is mundane for those who are experienced enough to know good natural light when they see it. But even then, there are tips and ideas for taking photos of babies in particular, so an experienced photographer might enjoy a quick flip through this book.
Joe
Aug 24, 2009 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
Simple, straightforward handson photography manual to aid the layman photographer in developing a professional workflow while shooting kids. A pre-digital technique that is still applicable in our digital age.

Fun and informative. Helps you "get out and shoot" pictures worth framing.
Ana
Sep 19, 2010 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I wish I'd read it fifteen years ago when I started having children. I have already tried some of the tips he suggests and can see a difference in the quality of the shots I take.
Denise Smith
Feb 02, 2008 Denise Smith rated it it was amazing
If you'd like to learn how to take better photos of your baby or child this is a wonderful book. It's fun and easy to read. Very accessible and informative. His other "How to" book are fantastic too!
Kayla
Sep 10, 2009 Kayla rated it really liked it
A Wonderful book! No only was it super easy and fun to read, but it has some really great ideas. I also tried out two of the techniques and got a gorgeous baby picture. Very worth while!!
Holly
Aug 24, 2008 Holly rated it liked it
I think this is a GREAT book for a beginner, but I was hoping to get a little more from it. Still there were some wonderful, inspirational photos in it.
Mstenquist
Good quick read, with a few good ideas. Really good if you just want some help taking snapshots. I would have liked something a little more indepth!
Tabitha
Mar 14, 2008 Tabitha rated it it was ok
It is a great book for beginners using a point and shoot, but if you are looking for something more advanced this is not the book for you.
Emmy
Jul 19, 2008 Emmy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who are just starting out and would like to take prettier photos
Quick read and some important ideas for beginning- in case you're interested in this kind of thing - even if you don't have a baby.
Rebecca
Jan 14, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
A good basic instruction of how to take decent baby photographs explained in non-technical jargon. Good for a true beginner.
Lalani
Oct 22, 2009 Lalani rated it really liked it
Quick read and helpful for taking cute pictures. My last photo shoot turned out fantastic thanks to some of the tips I learned!
Kristin
Nov 30, 2008 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Great book and a quick read. The things I learned from this book I still use when taking pictures of Sabrina.
Melynna
Jul 08, 2009 Melynna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent stuff. Now I just have to wait for my kiddo to pop out so I can start putting this stuff to use.
Dana
Jul 15, 2010 Dana rated it liked it
Quick and dirty. Tips are obvious, but I did learn things that I have been using.
Julie
Feb 11, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
This book is the best book I've read on how to improve your photography in simple steps.
Anastasia
Sep 25, 2007 Anastasia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2006
Great, easy tips for taking good pictures of your child (or anyone you love).
Schiavonn
Aug 31, 2007 Schiavonn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who has kids and loves photography
Such an easy to follow book. Great instruction for any photographer.
Josie
Aug 29, 2009 Josie rated it really liked it
Great tips on baby photos!
Vicky
Feb 15, 2009 Vicky rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book!
Sethschorr
May 05, 2009 Sethschorr rated it liked it
Might as well start now!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Whitney Moses
Whitney Moses rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016