Start by marking “A Modern Cinderella” as Want to Read:

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 18th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1860)

To ask other readers questions about A Modern Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Modern Cinderella

Phil Syphe
The four stories in this collection differ greatly from one another in tone and subject matter.

The title story didn't appeal to me all that much, as the experimental style didn't suit my taste. At times I was quite confused as to what was happening.

The tale features three sisters who live with their father. The oldest sister takes on the role mother, doing most of the household chores, thus she is the modern Cinderella.

Her younger sisters are in their late teens and do little to help out until s
Rida
Absolutely beautiful book, it showed the innocence many of us no longer see in modern books. Though I am still quite young, the characters' mature appearances were very much to my taste. The stories were simple in a quick read, but one realizes that these shorts had a much greater meaning once pondered upon. There was humor in the right areas and somber moments in others. All in all, a very enjoyable read, I would recommend this to anyone who loves a little bit of history and literature mixed in ...more
Trudy Pomerantz
There were four short stories included in this ebook which was available for free on iTunes. They were the title story, A Modern Cinderella, Debby's Debut, The Brothers, and Nelly's Hospital. Louisa May Alcott always wrote very refreshing, moral stories. It always appeared though that reformation was within everybody's grasp as long as they made the right rules and did the right thing. Having said that, she writes charming stories that are thought-provoking and worth reading.

"Di, my father began
Agata Salim
I love the book. Am currently on the second story, and desperately in love with Louisa May Alcott.
I have said these before: that in her stories, she preached, but I like her kind of preaches. It reminds me that to have a pure heart is not an unfashionable thing. And it was more or less the same, since 1910s until today's 2014.
I have so many favorite excerpts that my ebook is filled with highlights!
Maria
This contains four short stories:

A Modern Cinderella

Wow. So inventive! I loved the idea that the 'wicked stepsisters' are really just two very preoccupied older sisters. That Nan doesn't mind the housework. I love John and the promise he made to his mother. I liked the inventiveness of Cinderella's losing her shoe. Lovely.

Debby's Debut

Poor Debby. Taken out of her element and then falling in love and then going silly. I liked this story, if only because Frank Evan is such a darling. I loved the r
Emily
May 28, 2013 Emily rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fun
This is hard to give an accurate rating as there are 4 separate and unique stores put together into one book.
The first story is quite sweet and charming. Rather cliche, but cute. The second story is more interesting, character-wise. I found the almost ending to be a little annoying as the girl nearly ruins her "happily-ever-after." The third story was awful in every way. I had a hard time getting through it and the ending was so sad. The random change in direction from light romance tales to a v
Melanie Schulz
Beautifully written.
Camille
This book includes four short stories:
- The little old shoe
- Debby's debut
- The brothers
- Nelly's hospital

I liked the last three better than the first one. The last two especially I found interesting as they were not about the love story of a young girl. They are both related to the Civil War, hospital and, in "The brothers", racial conflict.
Melissa
I'm not too far into this story, but was intrigued by the title. I think I"m just having a problem with how they talk and I keep stop and starting it, so that's not helping either.

It did pick up. There a few short stories. Just sweet, quick reads.
Charity U
"A Modern Cinderella" was a fun read and the style was definitely Alcott's. This book included...three other stories, I believe, but I only read the next one, "Debby's Debut." It was also fun. :)
Lindasttop
Another Louisa May Alcott book that I don't think I had read when I was growing up.
Love her stories and how she writes.
Lydia
It was ok. The first two stories were the best. I didn't like the third one at all.
my favorite story in this collection is the title story
Carol Spears
In this version the sisters are not hateful, just selfish.
Terry
sweet. very much alcott
Short and sweet!
J.E. Clymer
J.E. Clymer marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Michael Lloyd-billington
Michael Lloyd-billington is currently reading it
May 26, 2015
Christine Boyers
Christine Boyers is currently reading it
May 25, 2015
Taekwokitty
Taekwokitty marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Ghelyn Patriziah Gloria
Ghelyn Patriziah Gloria marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Mary Virginia Bunker
Mary Virginia Bunker marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Kristin Nahs
Kristin Nahs marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Angela Alcorn
Angela Alcorn marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
  • Weddings and Wasabi (Sushi #4)
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • The Bride of Lammermoor
  • A Lady Of Quality
  • Somebody's Luggage
  • The Secrets of the Shadows (Annie Graham, 2)
  • Soaring Eagle (Prairie Winds, #2)
  • All That Glitters: A Jake & Laura Mystery
  • Snow White and the 77 Dwarfs
  • I Know Where I'm Going: A Personal Biography of Katharine Hepburn
  • Mother Finds a Body
  • The Book of the Maidservant
  • Paddington Takes the Test (Paddington, #11)
  • Along the Shore: Tales by the Sea
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • Béatrix
  • Stanwyck
As A. M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t
More about Louisa May Alcott...
Little Women (Little Women, #1) Little Men (Little Women, #2) Eight Cousins (Eight Cousins, #1) Jo's Boys (Little Women, #3) Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)